searchbar came up with nothing

so my mate is looking to get a new amp for home practice (the one he's got now is quite terrible...), and he asked me for some help finding one.
hisbudget is 100 pounds, and i was thinking of the epiphone valve junior.
now will this sound good with his distortion pedal (Boss MD2), and if not what would be a better option?

and before you ask, he can't go and try a VJ because his local store doesn't stock it and he can't be bothered to go to London to try one.

thanks!

EDIT: forgot to mention he plays metal and metalcore (bullet for my valentine, kellswitch engage etc.)
Last edited by lordoflossarnac at Aug 4, 2008,
yea its should work fine 4 now
but i would encourage him 2 save up and get a tubescreamer latr on

EDIT: for the genres, a valver junior wont help him much. try a different amp
its a class a tube amp made for blues, so no
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
i use my vjr for metal all the time. u just have to remember u cant play too loud cause if the tube OD kicks in, the distortion pedal with it will sound AWFUL. i use a metal muff on mine and its great up until about half way on the volume, which is still damn loud.

if he ONLY plays metal and stuff, he may want to get a blackheart. its voiced a little more modern, a little more headroom (louder u can go without natural OD), and same price.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
For home practice, metal and metalcore - how about a cube? It's not tube, granted, but for home practice tubes can be highly impractical. With the cube you get decent distortion at any volume with the option of headphones.
Quote by ash_attack
its a class a tube amp made for blues, so no

it's a pretty dark sounding amp. not one i'd consider, "made for blues."

TS it does take pedals pretty well.

but for ease, if you're just into metal; cube or randall series would suit that genre.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by guitar/bass76
For home practice, metal and metalcore - how about a cube? It's not tube, granted, but for home practice tubes can be highly impractical. With the cube you get decent distortion at any volume with the option of headphones.

Yes, yes, and more yes
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
depends what you want, the V Jr is more 80s tones and the Cubes would be more modern. With an SD-1 and cranked, the V Jr sounds f'in amazing if you ask me, and modding it to take an EL-34 helps the tone even more. Also DS-1 sucks on tube amps, only us Over Drive pedals on tube amps.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
agreed. i've actually got the valve junior, and the MD2, and i recently picked up an HBE big d distortion pedal second hand. I haven't actually tried my md2 since i got the big D () but from memory, the big D is much nicer- it doesn't destroy the VJ's tone like the MD2 can. It's more of a rock distortion than metal though... i'm with jenny/jj1565, if he's only going to be playing metal, a roland cube 30 or microcube (not the 15 or 20, they don't have as many amp models, he wants the r-fier model for modern metal) would be preferable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks all, didn't know if the cube was a good amp, heard lots of good things about it, but never actually played one
distortion will sound terrible with the VJ
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
not necessarily. jeez.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?