Ok, I'm about to buy a 1976 Fender Bassman head, with the original cab (2x15) for 900$. It has been retubed and it's in mint condition.

I live in Canada, so they are a bit more rare here. Is it a good buy? Am I getting a good deal?

I'm just wondering if I should pass on that and get a vintage blackface instead?
Last edited by Mike! at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
UUmm..

sounds good but i'm not the fender amp expert. I think Fender.com has an Amp look up tool/or info that they didn't have before. Check that out. As a matter fact i know they do.

reputible seller and all?

yeah, it's from a local music store. Everyone says that the blackfaces are better, but in what sense? This is why I need fender experts.
Quote by al112987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEjlY7MhmFg

Similar amp? (70s silverface bassman) I don't really know that much about Fenders but imo, that does not break up well at all.

I personally would not pay $900 for that sound.

Umm, I don't care about the breakup. I just want to know if I could get a better clean sound for the price.
Don't get a bassman confused with a twin or something. As you can probably tell from that video, they do not have a huge amount of headroom.
Yeah the Bassman became poplular because guitarist back in the day started plugging guitars into them and liked the sound. I didn't open url but Search on Fender Bassman. I hear they are the bomb and yours sound kinda rare/old.

Do you have pics and serial number and all? i would ask you to post it but then someelse might buy it he he.

Search similar on eBay and Craigslist and see what you see.
Nah. That's a bit too much for that amp, IMO.
What kind of tones are you really looking for?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Clean, dark, vintage blues tone. That's it, that's all. I'll just slap an mxr classic 108 fuzz in front of it for distortion.

I could also save up for an orange ad30 head and orange cab, but I wasn't impressed with the cleans.
Hey, I'm no Fender amp expert but I know that Slatsmania knows a grip about them. If he doesn't weigh in here, you should send him a PM.

I can say, however, that the year you're looking at could leave a little to be desired. You would be much better off getting a very early Silverface ('68 or '69?) as opposed to mid-'70's models.

The original Blackface Fenders(made through '67) are considered some of the best Fenders for the quality of their circuits and tone. The early Silverfaces had the same innards but the circuits were changed not too much later, resulting in inferior amps with weaker tone.

Slatsmania should be able to elaborate or clarify.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Nah. That's a bit too much for that amp, IMO.

I agree.

The best of the bunch from that period would be the 50W non-master volume model. Even then, $900 would be a lot more than I'd be willing to pay for it.

Quote by carpepax
The early Silverfaces had the same innards but the circuits were changed not too much later, resulting in inferior amps with weaker tone.

Again, I agree. See if you can't get a serial number off of the amp so you can look it up yourself, find out what year (and circuit) it actually is. You may want to negotiate the price down on a decent 50W model, but I wouldn't even bother looking up the SN on a 70W, 100W, or 135W model. Those are crap.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I agree.

The best of the bunch from that period would be the 50W non-master volume model. Even then, $900 would be a lot more than I'd be willing to pay for it.

Again, I agree. See if you can't get a serial number off of the amp so you can look it up yourself, find out what year (and circuit) it actually is. You may want to negotiate the price down on a decent 50W model, but I wouldn't even bother looking up the SN on a 70W, 100W, or 135W model. Those are crap.

Well, good news. After researching the amp, the one he's selling is made between 1968-1969. Now, it's possible that it has the blackface circuitry, but you're saying I should negocitate? It's a 50 watter, non-master volume, mint , '68-'69 amp. How much should he be selling it for?

Remember: It's 900$ for the cab and amp.
Do a search on Canada ebay (I'm in the US) for it, both up now and "completed listings." That's a much better amp than you were originally talking about, and if it is in mint condition, that might not be a bad price afterall. Did he tell you it's a '68-69? Does he know the difference between those and a '76?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
word....

Slats would you say but it now?

reason i ask is that if TS asks too many questions then seller may hold out longer thinking something is better.

In other words, play dumb a little bit, but ask questions here and lock in...........then ask again.
Quote by slatsmania
Do a search on Canada ebay (I'm in the US) for it, both up now and "completed listings." That's a much better amp than you were originally talking about, and if it is in mint condition, that might not be a bad price afterall. Did he tell you it's a '68-69? Does he know the difference between those and a '76?

No, he clearly doesn't. Thankfully, I'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to that.

So, even if it does have the "bad" circuit, I should still get it? I'm not sure.

PS: You really think I'm gonna mention that the amp is worth more that he thinks? No.
He should of checked it out, it took me 30 minutes to find the date
Last edited by Mike! at Aug 4, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Slats would you say but it now?

reason i ask is that if TS asks too many questions then seller may hold out longer thinking something is better.

I just found two similar heads recently sold on ebay.ca for under $400, as well as a '65 and '67 that sold for under $535. I think the guy's price is too high, regardless of the fact that he has a nice product for sale there.

I'd send the sell that link, and ask him to reduce his price. If he doesn't, I'd pass.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.