I was wondering if there are any music theory quizzes for beginners? I've been studying theory for about a month or so now and I wanted to take a quiz to see: (A) If I understand the material I am studying, and (B) to find out what I should learn next.

If is not a basic music theory quiz then could somebody write me some beginner theory questions? It would really be appreciated.

Thanks for any help

Edit: I probably guess I should put what I have been working on since it may help people. Ive been working on alot of chord formation (major, minor, maj7, minor 7, and dominant 7th chords.) also of course the major scale, and the circle of fifths.
Last edited by Flow of soul at Aug 4, 2008,
I second this request.
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
that would be amazing. i've been thinking about taking one before but i got lazy about that :P
hey i can pm you a basic theory quiz if you'd like, i'm not a uber theory master like some of the guys on here but i could give you the basics and see what you know. i think any of the regs here would back me up when i say i know the basics
i would appreciate it if you could count me in on that as well, i have been trying to bone up on my theory knowledge, and i would love to see where i stand.
^ thats actually a real good link for quizzing, im not sure if i would really consider some of those beginner questions (assuming you're not going to school for it) if you all would still like a beginner quiz let me know!
beadhangingOne, thanks for the link!
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
beadhangingOne, thanks for the link!

+1

You rock dude.
sig goes here
Nice link. Be wary that it calls X7 chords "XMm7" and m7 (-7 for jazzers) it calls mm7. I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what an EMm7 (which usually means a 1 b3 5 7 chord) resolves to. Theres also alot of weird, uncommon terminology in some quizes.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
^ Yep. Anything past the difficult ones are ****ing insane. Some of them ask you the weirdest ****. Also some of it is like "which composer" or "what instrument plays alto clef" which really doesn't help me as a guitarist lol.
Yeah this is a great idea. I've always wanted to have access to theory quizzes to help me learn and see the progress I'm making. Good idea for a thread.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by beadhangingOne
^ Yep. Anything past the difficult ones are ****ing insane. Some of them ask you the weirdest ****. Also some of it is like "which composer" or "what instrument plays alto clef" which really doesn't help me as a guitarist lol.
It does if you plan on writing counterpoint for quartets. Hey, steve vai does that.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.