So i just picked up a new Rouge 8 string bass.. as seen below..

but now that i have it, i cant seem to find any songs that would be played well on it. any suggestions? anyone else who has an 8 string bass? i just found out these existed a few days ago
I've been wondering how these are played since I saw one... Do you play the courses of strings together? And what's it tuned to?
Play songs from a four string... But do it on the eight?

Would be really good for hunkering down.

That or tuning your octave strings to fifths or something.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

OOH WANT!

*jealous*

Uhh, does the bassist for Cheap Trick use a 12?
So I guess try some of that.
I mean, I know it's 4 less strings, but you know, it's still played like a 4 string.
Other then that
Uh
Good question, I have the same problem as I have a 12 string guitar haha.
ive been playing the strings together like theyre one and right now its standard tuned
I've seen John Paul Jones use an 8 string on one of the songs on the Mothership DVD, but I don't remember which one.

So, you just found out about them a few days ago, then rushed out to purchase one? Seems a little hasty to me. But hey, if you like it, you like it. I would just play any 4-string song on it, and give it a new flavor.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Jeremy- Pearl Jam
Deep- Pearl Jam
Leash- Pearl Jam
Why Go- Pearl Jam

those are all 12-string bass but the sound should be close

Ben will probably have more
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
JPJ has a custom made Alembic 8 string. I believe he had it made for Achilles Last Stand.
Quote by identityxcrysis
OOH WANT!

*jealous*

Uhh, does the bassist for Cheap Trick use a 12?
So I guess try some of that.
I mean, I know it's 4 less strings, but you know, it's still played like a 4 string.
Other then that
Uh
Good question, I have the same problem as I have a 12 string guitar haha.

Yes--here's a Bass Player article on Tom Petersson and his 12 string bass:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/cheaper-by-the/Jul-06/21382
All this talk of 8-strings is making me want one. I dunno how yours sounds, but it definitely looks nice!
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Dude, it's not a rouge. It's clearly a natural flame maple.

Anyway, I owned a very cheap 8-string, but gave it to a friend because it wasn't worth my looking at it in my guitar rack. Spanish Castle Magic and You Got Me Floatin' has 8-string (Hendrix), and I believe Success Story by The Who has an 8-string. Of course, Achilles and Nobody's Fault but Mine have 8-string (Zeppelin) as well as much of JPJ's and Entwistle's solo stuff.

Oh, and unfortunately, tuning the octaves to 5ths doesn't sound as good as you'd think. Maybe on a 12, with the top strings still being octaves, but not on 8.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Dude, it's not a rouge. It's clearly a natural flame maple.

Could be a laminate top.

EDIT - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX408-Custom-8String-Bass?sku=519244&src=3SOSWXXA

yeah it is, on the specs it says maple veneer.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
i dont get 8 strings

can anyone explain why the strings are arranged like that?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
It Ee Aa Dd Gg.

You have the main bass string, then the guitar string next to it tuned an octave higher.

Same affect as a 12 string guitar.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Could be a laminate top.

EDIT - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX408-Custom-8String-Bass?sku=519244&src=3SOSWXXA

yeah it is, on the specs it says maple veneer.

Was making a sly comment on the threadstarter incessently calling the bass rouge (not rogue), which is the French word for red. The bass is clearly not red. Get it?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Damn, I should have picked up on that. Looks like that year of French didn't pay off. =(
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
^ That thefitz is tricky and apparently well versed in French
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Man, I'd sig that if I had space.

And it was funny too, because this one dude came into work today and I couldn't understand his French!

Anyway, TS, how do you find the volume level in comparison to your other axes? Mine was really, really quiet.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Was making a sly comment on the threadstarter incessently calling the bass rouge (not rogue), which is the French word for red. The bass is clearly not red. Get it?

I thought you guys were just being silly and typo-ing it!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5