Page 1 of 2
i have a tsl60. dont hate it, dont love it
looking for a deep, dark, clear tone. best examples would be metallica RTL/MOP with a little more mids, nevermore "this godless endeavour" with a tad less treble, or (mainstream, i know lol) three days grace with a little more treble...i hate fizzy sounding highs, thats what i dont like about the TSL. after judging amps of the afore mentioned bands, i came across a general result of boogie rectifiers. i'm thinking single rec right now. 2 channels would be fine. 50 watt is more than enuff for recording and local gigs. BTW, i NEED good cleans..so, single recto seems primium option for me right now. i have a 412 w. g12t75s, might swap 2 v30s in the future.
and dont wanna pay for a bogner XTC or anything like that, lets make 2000CAD the absolute most.

and please, no one say peavey valveking...or used 5150 combo,
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I suggest a 2203 but if you're looking for a 2 channel, a mesa is probably you're best bet, although I still think they sound buzzy.
Make sure you look into ENGLs if you can! Powerball/Fireball/Sovereign/Screamer are all well within your budget(well the powerball is pushing it)... great cleans, amazing gain. Check out Splawn too, they are at the edge of your budget but worth every penny from what I hear!

There are definitely more, I just have to remember them.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by hassle-the-hoff
what do u mean you dont love the tsl
its like one of marshalls best amps

how much was it btw

what?! jcm2000s are pretty good, not marshalls best. marshall doesnt really make their best amps anymore, anyless u really dig the JVM, or the vintage modern
i bought it used, somewhere around 1200 or 1300 CAD
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

also, its hard to find engl around here. same with splawns. a nitro would be good though, but they are only factory direct, and i would need to try before buy...mesa markIV might be an option though..i'll see if i can find a laney somewhere too
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

does anyone think a mesa lonestar or stilleto would be good for the tone im looking for?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Eh, not really.

I'd say your best bet is the Mark IV if you can't get an ENGL or Splawn.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I think a Carvin Legacy would suit what you want nicely. Its a very smooth amp. If you want more gain and tweakability, the V3 might be a better choice though.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Mark IV and a Maxon OD808 to tighten it up a bit.

Shouldn't be TOO far over your budget, and will get you a fat Nevermore tone.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i found markIV for like 1375 used..somethin like that. checkin if its still on the market
im looking for new and used BTW..either
also, what is a traynor YCS100H gonna do for me? it has great features, 3 channel is cool with me for sure. TSL, im used to it. and its cheap, i saw one, i can try on out in a couple weeks if anyone thinks its worth looking at...would it be an upgrade from a tsl? could it hold its own with a boogie?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Well, at this budget, I don't think so, but's my opinion.

I'm going to stick with the MarkIV/OD808 combo, and save the leftover money for effects where need be.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
the mark iv is a tweakers joy. to dial in the right sound you have to be patient. versitile little amp, got one my self.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
well, if the dude still has it, i'll see if i can try it out this week....but they are out of production now arent they? even if i find a new one, what would they go for new? and what about a single rec new? wheres that member with the mesa price list? i could use it right about now lol
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

new they go for 1.8k american from what i remember used goes from anywhere bewteen 1.2k-1.6k american. yes they are out of production.

maybe wait for the new mark V and save up more if possible. just be sure you want a mark. u need a patient ear and time to get it to sing right
have any markV plans been leaked out? more channels? i hope it doesnt have 4, that would be a LONG way to the power amp. im kinda diggin the single rec idea right now. straightforward, easy to use, yet has enough bells and whistles to satisfy...and its silicon diode, so i would expect to be able to get a tight tone from it.....tone wise, what are the largest differences between mark and single rec?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

marks are tighter, not as aggressive, more versitile, and have better cleans. a bitch to eq but once you do you find a really sweet tone. It can go into 30 watt mode with the variac and you can get a some what brown sound with it. u can ran 2 el 34's and 2 6l6s in the power amp depending on what you want

recs are punchier, more agressive, can sometimes be a little too flabby for my taste, so so cleans. if you run a chorus through them then they get above decent. easy to eq.

both are prime amps. just depends on what you want.

you might like the stilletos /ace/trident ones.

and its a pretty damn good bet the mark V will come out. guys at the boogie boards are talking about it. they usually have their info right. supposed to be a little more aggresive.
i think if that markIV is available i'll def. check it out
markV rumours, some say 4 years so...we'll see lol
i'll check out the single recs, stilletos, maybe a lonestar if i can get into the music store this week.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

The Lonestar has a more hard rock voiced OD, imo. The cleans are phenomenal, but unless you get a huge boost from a pedal, you might not get enough gain.

Quote by eggsandham2
the lone star is a great amp with a good keeley esque type booster it can do metallica, it just isnt what its made for tho

and do check out a laney vh as its a very "heavy" amp as well.
jsx maybe?
Edit: nvm I thought you said you wanted highs. Mesa is definitely the way to go
the Mesa Single Rectifier deffinately seems like a good choice, or perhaps the Double or Triple Recto?
carvin, factory direct..if i had more experience as a guitarist, had a couple trusty amps and was looking to add to the wall of tone, id really look into carvin...but unless i find one used and can try it, im gonna have to avoid carvin for now
EDIT.to guy above me, dual recto seems a wee bit powerful for me. i practice in a 14x20 garage with my band, and do some gigging..i live in the sticks, so i COULD crank it to record..but i really think i single would do fine for me
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Last edited by wyldeshredder at Aug 5, 2008,
Definitely good amps though. I'd personally probably prefer a Metro or Germino for that price. Then again, I don't really do high gain.

I'm just surprised at how many people seem to be into them.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 6, 2008,
they are mighty hard to come by in canada, or atleast where i live...and like i say if i had a trusty backline of bogners XTCs or framus cobras or something than i would look into factory direct, but i dont :peace
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

The Kerry King 2203KK JCM 800 is an amazing metal amp. Despite the fact that it's Krry King's sig, you don't even have to be a fan of Slayer to enjoy it. It's basically a JCM 800 (which aren't made anymore, anyway. Except for the overpriced vintage series.) with optional (and very useful) features of a noise gate and built-in EQ curve.

It's 100w and one-channel, but the JCM 800 is one of the best metal amps around.
i NEED 2 channels..like NEEEEEEEEEEED 2...and 3 doesnt hurt.
i cant use an amp that can only go chugachugachugachuga BEOW!!!! WANANANANANAA!
im getting into jazzy songs, i need decent blues tone (not to be used simaltaneously with metal tone, so the mesas toggle switches for the channels are very useful for me)
so, i need really good cleans and amazing distortion, 3rd channel could be used occasionally but not much.barely use it on my TSL
as for tone, gizmachis tone on the ozzfest DVD. thats primo. i love it..i saw mesas on the backline, didnt see what kind.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

well if you want versatility like that the stilletos and mark series sounds about right...
the mark is nearly impossible to find in my area...stiletto seems to lack some gain IMO.from the GW review i saw...
on the topic of rectifiers, tonally what are the key differences between the single and dual?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
i NEED 2 channels..like NEEEEEEEEEEED 2...and 3 doesnt hurt.
i cant use an amp that can only go chugachugachugachuga BEOW!!!! WANANANANANAA!
im getting into jazzy songs, i need decent blues tone (not to be used simaltaneously with metal tone, so the mesas toggle switches for the channels are very useful for me)
so, i need really good cleans and amazing distortion, 3rd channel could be used occasionally but not much.barely use it on my TSL
as for tone, gizmachis tone on the ozzfest DVD. thats primo. i love it..i saw mesas on the backline, didnt see what kind.

... the JCM 800 is an amazingly versatile amp... you just roll off your volume knob on your guitar, and you have singing marshall cleans, they are amazing. See if you can try a jcm800 somewhere and you will see how good the cleans are.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
the KK800 sounds great..watched review of it today..but no cleans, and to do the volume knob thing is a huge disadvantage for me...a lot of my originals need FFFAST switching of tones...arrangements can be comparable opeth kind of..but not so explicitly progressive
and u can never get the "holy ****, i just got kicked in the gut by that tone" without 2 channels.....good old distortion out of nowhere:P
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
best examples would be metallica RTL/MOP with a little more mids

Pshh, or a lot more mids. I've seen the eq on his mesa. The classic "smily face" description hardly does it justice. Everything up then, "Whoops" all the way down to the goddamned bottom. (Sorry, I love my mids)

Anyway, check out a Mark 4
lol, ya..i guess i'll say a dollap more of mids.
gizmachi @ ozzfest. 7 strings, i know...but even the higher register stuff.
btw..if u havent heard of them, check them out. look up voice of sanity on youtube.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

ENGL Powerball. Great amp. Awesome Cleans, BRUTAL distortion. This thing is INCREDIBLY tight. The crunch channel isn't the best so if you play classic rock occasionally or something you might want to look elsewhere. I'm getting one myself as soon as i can get the cash. (just starting a part time job)
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
engls round this part, no can do
rectifiers, can do mesa's mark IV, im looking, but not finding. soldano decatone popped up!
SOLD!damn..
anyways, wanting to know key differences tonally between single and dual rec.

talked to the local music store guy...asked about mesas, said he might consider getting them....hes got marshall, traynor, fender, and to my surprise...ORANGE! gee whiz! lil SS boxes, thats all that in stock right now. but, mesas might be sold 25minutes from home, instead of an hour.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Page 1 of 2