Poll: Valve king 212 or Randall hammett sig ( cheaper one )
Poll Options
View poll results: Valve king 212 or Randall hammett sig ( cheaper one )
Randall
10 30%
Peavey
23 70%
Voters: 33.
I have narrowed my new amp choices to two, and I have questions about both. can you help? I play heavy stuff AKA metallica slayer etc.

1st: Randall kirk hammett sig. SS . ( $719 ) the amp has two modes of great
distortion which will elimantate the need for a distortion petal, and will fit my gigging needs, but is solid state. All in all more reliable. thoughts?

2nd. Peavey Valve king 212- 100w all tube power. ( $599 ) better sounding than the randall because of tubes. but how about with distortion? how much to tubes cost?
I have heard that the speakers suck and will have to be replaced. how much does that cost and which speakers? does it have the power to gig without clipping?

THANKS.
Quote by guitarjere33
I have narrowed my new amp choices to two, and I have questions about both. can you help? I play heavy stuff AKA metallica slayer etc.

1st: Randall kirk hammett sig. SS . ( $719 ) the amp has two modes of great
distortion which will elimantate the need for a distortion petal, and will fit my gigging needs, but is solid state. All in all more reliable. thoughts?

2nd. Peavey Valve king 212- 100w all tube power. ( $599 ) better sounding than the randall because of tubes. but how about with distortion? how much to tubes cost?
I have heard that the speakers suck and will have to be replaced. how much does that cost and which speakers? does it have the power to gig without clipping?

THANKS.

You don't need a tube amp to play metal. I've never understood the fascination with high gain tube amps. Imo, cranking the preamp gain kills the dynamics that make a tube amp sound like... well, a tube amp.
get a second hand 5150/6505.

i disagree vehemently that SS is necessarily better for metal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
get a second hand 5150/6505.

i disagree vehemently that SS is necessarily better for metal.
It has to be at guitar center new
Quote by metalhead_365
go for the peavey, in my opinion it is a very nice amp. The speakers arent great but its something that can be easily replaced.

yeah, but Valvekings aren't really known for they're metal capabilities. I'd recommend the Randall for your music.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
yeah, but Valvekings aren't really known for they're metal capabilities. I'd recommend the Randall for your music.

hmm.. i disagree, ive always said that my stock VK has enough gain for metal, ive never understood why people use so much gain, because you lose definition in your tone.
Usable gain and voicing is the issue with the Valveking. Its made to be versatile not a metal beast. That said it can do thrash metal quite well with EQ, OD and Speaker swap but why spend all that cash when you can get something thats turn key and ready to go right out the gate.

And with that much coin you should look used and pickup a Peavey Ultra, Triple X, JSX or 5150 combo.
Quote by guitarjere33
It has to be at guitar center new

if you're lucky, they might have a second-hand one?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
randall but not this one.

Get a 150 Rh g3 that probably one of the best ss that ive played

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-G3-Plus-Series-RH150G3PLUS-150W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481691

and this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RS412XC-4x12-Cabinet?sku=480756

edit: that actually my old rig. but it was useless to me so i sold it
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Last edited by Hcmanu at Aug 5, 2008,
I'd say avoid the Hammet Sig - it just sounds like the same sort of deal as something of theirs that'd be a lot cheaper, but because of the name check, that immediately adds 100 to the price. The peavey's great unless you're wanting to go, as the term seems to be, 'uBer Br00talz'. The Hammet sig, been solid state, will not appreciate higher volumes as much as the peavey will - that's the valve/Tubes working for you.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United