Okay, I know a good bit of theory, I know how to build scales and chords, and I've got the circle of fifths memorized and all that, but I am having a bit of trouble when it comes to soloing over a metal riff. It's simple when you're playing full chords for an acoustic song, because you always know what chord you're playing over. My question is what I do when there's a fast riff that's not done with chords, but is more of a single note type of thing, like Laid to Rest by Lamb of God. My first guess is that I figure out what scale the single note runs are from and use that to solo.

But that brings me to my second question. Say you've got something like this:

|-------------------------------|
|-9-8-7---5---4-5---------------|
|-7-6-5-0-3-0-2-3-----5-------5-|
|-----------------00003-0000003-|

How would I figure out the key of this? And yes, it is the bridge in Ride the Lightning by Metallica.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't follow every chord change, right? Because that would be insane and you'd almost never find the right notes to improv.

So do I just do the same as I would with a single note run and figure out what scale it's using, then use that as the basis for improv?

Sorry if that's too many questions.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
It's in Em because most of that song is in Em, save a few parts. Also, all of those notes are in Em (save the D# which is in E harmonic Minor). But it functions as a passing note here.

You would probably want to use penta and blues scales though. I think they'd sound better.
Take the most notes that fit into a certain key, and discard the others as passing tones (for dissonance).
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by trueguitarhero
Okay, I know a good bit of theory, I know how to build scales and chords, and I've got the circle of fifths memorized and all that, but I am having a bit of trouble when it comes to soloing over a metal riff. It's simple when you're playing full chords for an acoustic song, because you always know what chord you're playing over. My question is what I do when there's a fast riff that's not done with chords, but is more of a single note type of thing, like Laid to Rest by Lamb of God. My first guess is that I figure out what scale the single note runs are from and use that to solo.

But that brings me to my second question. Say you've got something like this:

|-9-8-7---5---4-5---------------|
|-7-6-5-0-3-0-2-3-----5-------5-|
|-----------------00003-0000003-|

How would I figure out the key of this? And yes, it is the bridge in Ride the Lightning by Metallica.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't follow every chord change, right? Because that would be insane and you'd almost never find the right notes to improv.

So do I just do the same as I would with a single note run and figure out what scale it's using, then use that as the basis for improv?

Sorry if that's too many questions.
Its in Eminor, but thats already been said...

To improv over that, I would go through the E minor scale and make sure none of the notes make a b9 interval with the notes of that riff. As long as you avoid b9 intervals, you should be right.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.