I'm finally going to splurge and buy a laptop tomorrow. But that's just the thing. I want to record on it, and I'm already getting a copy of Cakewalk from my uncle. I've got Guitar Pro 5 in a zip file on my flash drive, and I'll be installing it on there as soon as I can. I've made my own songs using just those two programs before, but it was just using the MIDI files from guitar pro and mixing them down to an MP3 with Cakewalk.

I want to know if there are any special things I should get to go with my new computer, like upgrading the sound card or whatever. I also would like to know what the best way to record the guitar would be. I plan on using the MIDI files from GP5 for the drums and bass, and then I'll record my guitar over it and have my buddy come over and do the vocals. Should I just use my 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adaptor and run my guitar straight into the mic input, or should I get an actual mic and mic up my amp? If it comes to that, I have the USB mic that came with my Rockband game. would that work to mic my amp in a pinch?
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
Well, how good is your guitar tone from the amp? If you specifically want that tone, then you should mike it. The other way, with the guitar to the mic input, will probably not work, or will give you a clean guitar sound that requires software amplifiers to be usable. I recommend getting a $100 interface which comes with a microphone preamp, and a Shure SM57 or Samson CO3 which will work well with amps and voice. It'll run $200 total. With good positioning and mixing, you should be able to create good enough demos to sell to friends.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by trueguitarhero
I have the USB mic that came with my Rockband game. would that work to mic my amp in a pinch?

No
Why wouldn't a cheap USB mic work in a pinch? I mean it won't be very good, but he did say 'in a pinch.'

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Right now I'm playing through a Boss Metal Zone into a Crate Powerblock head and a Randall 75W 412 cab. I don't mind the tone, I've got it tweaked so the clean setting sounds like the clean bit of Master of Puppets, and once I stomp the pedal it's somewhere between Metallica and Trivium. It's not bad, but I need more gain, or better pickups. There's a hole where I'm losing something, and I think I need some EMGs to compensate...

But enough about that. We recorded in my Music Theory class on a program that had a bunch of built in effect for guitars and basses. Could I just download a program like that off of Limewire and run my guitar into the mic input? Or would I have to get something like the Toneport? I'm kindof in a rush because I just wrote two more songs and I wanna get recording.

Thanks again.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
Quote by axemanchris
Why wouldn't a cheap USB mic work in a pinch? I mean it won't be very good, but he did say 'in a pinch.'

CT

i used a rock band mic on one of my songs for a effected vocal and it sounded pretty cool
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by trueguitarhero
Right now I'm playing through a Boss Metal Zone into a Crate Powerblock head and a Randall 75W 412 cab. I don't mind the tone, I've got it tweaked so the clean setting sounds like the clean bit of Master of Puppets, and once I stomp the pedal it's somewhere between Metallica and Trivium. It's not bad, but I need more gain, or better pickups. There's a hole where I'm losing something, and I think I need some EMGs to compensate...

But enough about that. We recorded in my Music Theory class on a program that had a bunch of built in effect for guitars and basses. Could I just download a program like that off of Limewire and run my guitar into the mic input? Or would I have to get something like the Toneport? I'm kindof in a rush because I just wrote two more songs and I wanna get recording.

Thanks again.

You know, since you're not 100% sure yet on Guitar tone, I recommend getting this interface, which comes with a light version of Cubase, and you can plug in directly while your tone is still not good enough, and later you can plug a microphone in when it is. You won't have to bother with software and interfaces for a LONG time...leaving you time to consider EMGs (though I've heard good things about Dimarzio's D activators).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101