Hey guys I'm having a bad problem, a first attempt at re-stringing my esp Alexi guitar. Well I noticed a problem upon finishing the first string, it seems as if I can't pull my bar back far, because the back of the Floyd Rose touches the body of the guitar, and when I attempt to tighten the screws holding the Floyd on, the string brushes against the pickup and makes it sound like ****. I just don't know where to level out the bridge, it seems as either I get tons of buzzing, or I can't pull back with the bar at all. If anyone needs me to try an explain further I will, thank you tons for any information y'all can give me.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
I'm guessing you changed the string gauge as well, which would cause the tension to change. You went up a gauge, and the tension increased, right?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
you might want to finish putting on all the strings to level out the tension to match that of the springs
That would increase tension on the other springs as well, which wouldn't be helping the problem. He should go get the guitar set up for that gauge of strings, because if you change the gauge the springs will incorrectly adjust to the tension, moving the bridge into an up or down position, depending on the direction of change.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
I went from .11 to .10, my first time trying .10 would be now. I just don't understand what happened to the leveling of the Floyd, it seems like I took my old strings out and now the Floyd can't clamp on to a point where I can pull it backwards, by tightening the Floyd to a point where I actually could move it backwards, the strings are pressing pretty hard right against the pickup, and upper frets. I also noticed the top screw that clamps the Floyd on has something odd going on, like, the frame of the Floyd pops out away from the screw that keeps it mounted and leveled. Does my "nut clamping block" being loose have anything to do with these problems?

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
It could, but I'm not extremely experienced with the technical side of a Floyd.

I think it's just a bad adjustment to the tension change. You probably didn't put a blocker under the bridge, and took all the strings off. Which would do that.

Can we get some pics?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
pics would be nice... but you should go get it set up by a professional
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
here is your problem, you need to first put a piece of cardboard (something softish to not scratch the finish) so that the trem is level with the body. Now finish restring, tune up and pull the piece out. If it goes back, that means the spring are pulling too much and you have to loosen them. If it goes up vice versa. Open the back and get a screw driver and either loosen or tighten the springs at the back. Do a little at a time and re-tune the guitar after each turn until the trem is level and your guitar is in tune. Also make sure the nut pads aren't locked down during this.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by bloodycomfort
I went from .11 to .10, my first time trying .10 would be now. I just don't understand what happened to the leveling of the Floyd, it seems like I took my old strings out and now the Floyd can't clamp on to a point where I can pull it backwards, by tightening the Floyd to a point where I actually could move it backwards, the strings are pressing pretty hard right against the pickup, and upper frets. I also noticed the top screw that clamps the Floyd on has something odd going on, like, the frame of the Floyd pops out away from the screw that keeps it mounted and leveled. Does my "nut clamping block" being loose have anything to do with these problems?

First off, how are you restringing and how far have you got? If you took all the strings off and have only replaced one then you're in for a real headache, however you do realise that the tension in one string is a lot less than in all 6 so of course the bridge will sink back? If you've just changed one then wait until you've changed all the strings before you start worrying about balancing the bridge because you're switching gauges.

It's very simple to understand. You've switched from 11's to 10's...now 10's are lighter than 11's which means they require less tension for any given pitch. The springs in your trem cavity need to balance with the tension of the strings, they're currently still pulling the amount neeed to balance a set of 11's so the bridge is much further back than it should be. To rectify this you need to loosen the springs by unscrewing the screws in the trem cavity slightly.

Adjusting the springs will, of course, send all the strings out of tune so you're going to vave to spend quite a while adjusting, re-tuning and adjusting again but eventually you'll be in tune and have a level bridge. If you're lucky you'll have it boxed off in about half an hour.

Don't wedge the trem with anything, that's just pointless. The whole point of the exercise is that you're balancing the tension of the springs with the strings - if you introduce something that interferes with the tension then you can't do that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
First off, how are you restringing and how far have you got? If you took all the strings off and have only replaced one then you're in for a real headache, however you do realise that the tension in one string is a lot less than in all 6 so of course the bridge will sink back? If you've just changed one then wait until you've changed all the strings before you start worrying about balancing the bridge because you're switching gauges.

It's very simple to understand. You've switched from 11's to 10's...now 10's are lighter than 11's which means they require less tension for any given pitch. The springs in your trem cavity need to balance with the tension of the strings, they're currently still pulling the amount neeed to balance a set of 11's so the bridge is much further back than it should be. To rectify this you need to loosen the springs by unscrewing the screws in the trem cavity slightly.

Adjusting the springs will, of course, send all the strings out of tune so you're going to vave to spend quite a while adjusting, re-tuning and adjusting again but eventually you'll be in tune and have a level bridge. If you're lucky you'll have it boxed off in about half an hour.

Don't wedge the trem with anything, that's just pointless. The whole point of the exercise is that you're balancing the tension of the springs with the strings - if you introduce something that interferes with the tension then you can't do that.

This guy is my hero, that fixed everything, but I give thanks to all, I learned a good deal of stuff from this, kinda happy this problem came along. The whole fact that I noticed the bridge seeming to be more "normal" as I added string after string, it was balancing out the tension, I was just too stupid to realize that one string wasn't going to balance out to what all 6 would pull, lol. Thanks to all you guys. Oh, and yes, I did have to loosen the springs slightly, but a bit less than I thought required, at least I don't have to learn this in the future.

Quote by angus_young_32

UG Hatecrew FTW
Last edited by bloodycomfort at Aug 5, 2008,