Hey, i just wanna post this to vent out my most pain-in-the-neck frustration over the years. and this frustration is caused by this constant questions like how the guitarists like john petrucci and michael angelo batio play so fast????

I've experimented on lots of probabilities like string sizes ( which proves wrong cause michael angelo uses a .10 on his high e). Then i thought i probably is guitar that i'm using... this theory was partially faulty due to the fact some of my friends have sloppy brandless guitar with molds growing out of the sides can still play dream theater's ' stream of conciousness' solo.

And finally, i discovered, it really was none other than the tension ( not sure if its the tension but it really is the distance of the strings from the fretboard)..... I lowered the strings until its as close as possible to the fretboard, and now, i dare say, i can start playing guitar solos along with the gods.

Call me dumb or whatever, but it took me some time and lotsa peeled finger tips to figure out. I wish someone could've told me earlier instead of causing myself a hell lot of unnecessary injuries. I even considered scalloping. Good thing i didn't.

Lesson learned:
The nearer the strings to fretboard, the better.
there's 1 easier way i can think of, I would have checked out the signature guitars of those people* and seen the difference between yours and theirs

*exception: yngwie malmsteem. he has the most anti shred guitar of all time. scalloped frets and RAISED action.
I remember i always thought i couldn't play fast because I played a fender squier hand me down. But then one day i got a 450$ ibanez and the action was super close and it changed completely how i played guitar. I got a better amp too witch helped with my road to shredage
Quote by mr_sandman
Hey, i just wanna post this to vent out my most pain-in-the-neck frustration over the years. and this frustration is caused by this constant questions like how the guitarists like john petrucci and michael angelo batio play so fast????

I've experimented on lots of probabilities like string sizes ( which proves wrong cause michael angelo uses a .10 on his high e). Then i thought i probably is guitar that i'm using... this theory was partially faulty due to the fact some of my friends have sloppy brandless guitar with molds growing out of the sides can still play dream theater's ' stream of conciousness' solo.

And finally, i discovered, it really was none other than the tension ( not sure if its the tension but it really is the distance of the strings from the fretboard)..... I lowered the strings until its as close as possible to the fretboard, and now, i dare say, i can start playing guitar solos along with the gods.

Call me dumb or whatever, but it took me some time and lotsa peeled finger tips to figure out. I wish someone could've told me earlier instead of causing myself a hell lot of unnecessary injuries. I even considered scalloping. Good thing i didn't.

Lesson learned:
The nearer the strings to fretboard, the better.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with any of those things.

The more you practice, the better.

Things like action and string tension are little more than preference, what works for one player won't work for another.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well.. yeah, i guess you're just lucky you started on a good guitar. I'm not saying that without practice but with lower string tension and action you'll be able to play fast. Definitely not. But with that, it makes it a whole lot easier and minus the injuries as well.