Page 1 of 2
Alright, I just recently got a Peavey valveking 112 50x tube amp, and I am totally at a loos on how to improve the tone. It sounds like the spider of tube amps! My question is, I'm totally new to tube amps, and I was wondering how I can improve the tone. I am getting about $100 soon from birthday/work, so I can do one of two things

1: Swap the Speaker for a Celestion seventy 80.

2: Swap the tubes for something more metal.

If it helps, I like to play thrash metal (like old megadeth and metallica), and my current settings for the dirty channel are:

Gain: 8.5
Bass: 8
Mids: 4
Treble: 8.5

The resonance is loose and the texture knob is at full class A/B.
Oh, I am also playing at a very low volume from about 1-3. Is this lack of power resulting in my poor tone?
get a tubescreamer it helps alot
GEAR
Jackson JS30WR with EMG 81/85
Dean Vendetta
Peavey Valveking 212 (tung sol 12ax7 - JJ6l6gc)
Ibanez TS9
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2

Quote by insanitytheband
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote by alexyeung
try anything form avenged sevenfold

wtf?
Aside from the aforementioned tube screamer, you're gonna get better tone with higher volume.
round out ur mids an treble more, i'd up the mids a couple more points and take down the treble one point. also, lowering the gain a point or so and throwing an OD pedal in front of that should help out a lot too.

so if you don't have an OD pedal, spend either $50 on a bad monkey or $100 on a nice used fulltone OCD or check out the zillions of other TS clones.

new tubes and speaker will help too....but come on....you bought an amp just to change everything minus the circuitry? w/ all the money you'll spend, you coulda bought something more satisfying
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I believe metallica and megadeth both use celestion speakers (probably vintage 30's) and a better speaker would definetely improve tone.... sovtek 12ax7's as well as chinese 12ax7 preamp tubes are supposed to work well with high gain.... And obviously overdriving the front end (like with a tubescreamer) would help a lot....
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
actually i was interested in buying a VK112 too
couldn't you tighten the resonance to make it sound more condensed?
i haven't tried it out yet so this is just a shot in the dark
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
I now have

Bass: 7.5

Mids: 6

Treble: 7.5

It sounds a little too thick. What should I tweak to get a sound like "So Far, So Good...So What!" by Megadeth while keeping the nice scoop of This Video

And btw, which should I upgrade first: Tubes or speaker?
Last edited by Beebaboo at Aug 4, 2008,
take down ur bass. that's causing unecessary thickness lol. and i only know a handful of megadeth, but i don't think high bass is good for them. thrashy sound is good with halfish bass or just a TAD more, close to max mids and either close to max treble or slightly lower (IMO). i also prefer high-yet-clear gain for thrash. so i wouldn't take the gain past 7 and put a clean OD in front of that and adjust to your personal tastes.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
bass-5
mids-10
treble- 7
gain switch on IF you dont have a OD pedal.
the VK doesnt have too much mids especially with the stock speaker so you want to crank them. It wont sound "boxy", trust me

and instead of getting new tubes or a speaker, i would reccomend that you get an OD pedal and a EQ.

if you get a ts-9 and a MXR ten band EQ, itll be a bit pricey and run you a little over 200 bucks. this is the best option if you have the money. Tthis combination will make any rig sound much much better so you can keep these for the rest of your guitar playing years.

if youre on a budget you can get a danelectro fish n chips which is about 30 dollars new and a bad monkey which is a bout 40 dollars new. so itll be more than half the price of getting the previous option.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Well, I'm looking for a cheap fix that I can just put in and forget about. I am going to upgrade this to a nice marshall before I get really serious gigging done. And back to my tone question, does anyone have any ideas to help it out to get a nice '80s thrash tone?
Quote by Beebaboo
Well, I'm looking for a cheap fix that I can just put in and forget about. I am going to upgrade this to a nice marshall before I get really serious gigging done. And back to my tone question, does anyone have any ideas to help it out to get a nice '80s thrash tone?

well its more than a cheap fix but like i said, you can use it with your marshall too. its a very good investment.
This is what I meant by

V
V
V
Vlaveking Discussion Thread, the Only....

there are so many things you can do i just suggest you read thru some stuff first that's all, not trying to be a freak. Depends. Speaker is next for me and I look forward to it actually.

I would start off on 'A' texture, 2nd guitar input, level EQ, gain at 3 vol at 3, boost on, put a loop in FX chain and patch or turn off everything,...

and then increase from there. - especially for bedroom learning and tweaking.

Bad Monkey is a great first purchase for this amp period. fifty bucks...

ps...true for a lot of amp scenarios...not just vk
Attachments:
VK 1.JPG
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This is what I meant by

V
V
V
Vlaveking Discussion Thread, the Only....

there are so many things you can do i just suggest you read thru some stuff first that's all, not trying to be a freak. Depends. Speaker is next for me and I look forward to it actually.

I would start off on 'A' texture, 2nd guitar input, level EQ, gain at 3 vol at 3, boost on, put a loop in FX chain and patch or turn off everything,...

and then increase from there. - especially for bedroom learning and tweaking.

Bad Monkey is a great first purchase for this amp period. fifty bucks...

ps...true for a lot of amp scenarios...not just vk

Actually, I did just that. I got to the settings that I was using on my Johnson Solid State amp and it sounded terrible. That's why I came here for help on the subject. I'll try cranking up the volume though.
Quote by Beebaboo
Actually, I did just that. I got to the settings that I was using on my Johnson Solid State amp and it sounded terrible. That's why I came here for help on the subject. I'll try cranking up the volume though.

using the same settings on 2 different amps will result in 2 different results. seriously though, use the settings that i posted here and it will be fine. Dont be scared to crank those mids and turn the gain switch on. Itll tighten things up and sound way more clear though the switch is a bit harsh. also turn the resonance on tight. that will get rid of some flub as will turning down your bass.
lastly, there is no such thing as a quick fix with VK's. You have to spend time and sadly money to get a good tone out of the amp. And since youll be upgrading, there is no point in upgrading the actual amp, so instead, getting something that will improve the tone for the VK as well as any other amp is the better buy (IE OD & EQ pedal).
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i stand corrected...

Not so much corrected as I actually did something right for a change
Quote by sg622
using the same settings on 2 different amps will result in 2 different results. seriously though, use the settings that i posted here and it will be fine. Dont be scared to crank those mids and turn the gain switch on. Itll tighten things up and sound way more clear though the switch is a bit harsh. also turn the resonance on tight. that will get rid of some flub as will turning down your bass.
lastly, there is no such thing as a quick fix with VK's. You have to spend time and sadly money to get a good tone out of the amp. And since youll be upgrading, there is no point in upgrading the actual amp, so instead, getting something that will improve the tone for the VK as well as any other amp is the better buy (IE OD & EQ pedal).

That sounds like a good idea.
Quote by Beebaboo
Not so much corrected as I actually did something right for a change

no problem....as i have a lot going on right now...

didn't realize you were talking about SS setting...yeah totally diff.

it takes time as mentioned. Pull it up off the floor if not already. Turn reverb off. put towel in front of speakers, start low or mid on things and pull up from there.

*cough*OD*cough*
My EQ questions have been answered, now which would give me the best sound quality improvement?

1. Celestion seventy 80 speaker

2. Digitiech Bad Monkey Pedal

3. New, better quality tubes
can't help ya...

speaker is a must for long term improvement.....OD is great improvement and carry over to next rig...

...so can speaker I guess.

Here is me:
OD
Speaker
Tubes
EQ or maybe sooner...he he

Depends. Again, more disti or more clean?

Gas = money = job = truck =employment = money = gas = gear
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
can't help ya...

speaker is a must for long term improvement.....OD is great improvement and carry over to next rig...

...so can speaker I guess.

Here is me:
OD
Speaker
Tubes
EQ or maybe sooner...he he

Depends. Again, more disti or more clean?

Gas = money = job = truck =employment = money = gas = gear

I will be using this amp for about 2 years as I start out serious guitar playing and forming a band. Is that worth investing in a new speaker?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well...if you have an EQ then yes a new speaker sounds right.

in your situation i would prolly do that before anything...and i don't see it as a 'sunk' cost.

Thanks. I just need $30 more and I can get that speaker! I hope the results are great!
the EQ should definately come first on that list. nothing and i mean nothing, and you can ask anyone that owns one that an EQ is the pedal that improves their tone the most.
an EQ is another good investment that can carry over forever....alll the more reason to check the Only Valveking thread and the Search bar.....plus asking here some more...

i guess what is your total upgrade budget and sorry, for some reason i thougt you had an EQ but you were stating that you understand EQ.
Quote by Beebaboo
Peavey valveking 112 50x tube amp
Really? It's a tube amp? Wow, we didn't know that.
These go to eleven...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
an EQ is another good investment that can carry over forever....alll the more reason to check the Only Valveking thread and the Search bar.....plus asking here some more...

i guess what is your total upgrade budget and sorry, for some reason i thougt you had an EQ but you were stating that you understand EQ.

I get my terms mixed up, for some reason I must have thought the EQ was the knobs on the front of the amp So yeah, if that will improve tone the most, what will be a good EQ?
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Really? It's a tube amp? Wow, we didn't know that.

You're an asshole.
if ur using it on 1-3 you should think about swapping it for a lower wattage amp
Quote by stewart91
if ur using it on 1-3 you should think about swapping it for a lower wattage amp

Well, that was just in my bedroom, I got to try it outside at a higher volume and it sounded better, but the sound was a little breaky and not very celar. Does this mean a speaker upgrade is necessary, or are my settings just bad?
I'm confused about why you bought a valveking to start with if you don't like it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I'm confused about why you bought a valveking to start with if you don't like it.

It sounded good in guitar center...
The amp does have a 3 band EQ on the amp. Use those. Bass, Mid, Treble. Set all of those as 12 o'clock and tweak from there. There is a bunch of Tweaks and suggestions in the Only Valveking Discussion Thread as mentioned.

The clean channel does not have an EQ.

Sorry, I thought you stated you had an EQ pedal. An EQ pedal just expands the number of frequencies you can adjust. Like a 5 band or 12 band EQ pedal.

Some like resononace on loose, i like it tight. Some like A/B power texture, I'm on A, some say it does nothing, some say it does.

I usually pair my gain at or slightly below the volume on Lead. Say 4 and 4.5.

I like the Boost on, some don't. The volume boost button doesn't really do much for me.

Amp is way better with an Overdrive Pedal in front between guitar and amp.

PS. It took me a while to get all of this dialed in and I'm constantly playing with all variables.

You'll be fine, and if you still don't like it after that or in 28 days or whatever you can still return it or sell it right?

Also be warned VK's have a nasty buzz/fuzz at 2k on an EQ and also pushing the treble knob past 5 will result in some harshness.

Effects loop jumper is a good cheap mod.

Gain boost is going to be a diode clipping circuit so at low volumes its going to be thin, harsh and pretty buzzy. Crank the amp to warm it up a bit.

Boost your mids

Get and OD and EQ

Thats the main things you need to do...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^On a 100 watt Head or the 50 watt combo?

I think my situation is a bit different than yours but it's always good to get as many opinions as possible I alway say.

Pretty sure its for the 100 and the 50 watt combo its the same circuitry just less power tubes and small tweaks to make it fit in the package. But the core tone and sound and interaction should be the same.
Replace the speaker without a doubt. That filters away a lot of the harshness of the highs.

Never turn the gain all the way up; for some reason it makes the sound degenerate into a muddy mess.

If you play at such a low volume, you really need an O.D or Attenuator to realise its potential.

Don't scoop your mids as much. IMO you need to scoop them a little to keep a nice hard metal tone. Please don't listen to anyone who says you can't scoop mids at all, especially when you are playing rhythm parts, and especially since the VK is a very middy amp anyway.
Page 1 of 2