I recently bought a DiMarzio Evo 2 bridge pickup and had it installed. I took it home and started playing, and to my surprise, it was pretty...well, crappy. I actually think the stock pickup that came with my Ibanez (an IBZ V2) sounded better than this Evo 2. It's really odd, because everyone is saying that it's a great pickup with serious harmonics and scream...Could it have anything to do with the fact that I'm playing through a circuit amp instead of tube? It's almost like I'm not getting the full effect of the pickup's capability or something. Or at least that's what it feels like.

Help?
If its a 4 conductor humbucker, make sure you didn't wire it in coil split mode accidentally. I've done this before by switching some wire colors because I was following a bad diagram.
Quote by Dr. Guitar
If its a 4 conductor humbucker, make sure you didn't wire it in coil split mode accidentally. I've done this before by switching some wire colors because I was following a bad diagram.

I'm not the one who installed them...I think the guy mentioned something about that though. I can't remember. Any tell-tale signs or symptoms of that?
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
I'm not the one who installed them...I think the guy mentioned something about that though. I can't remember. Any tell-tale signs or symptoms of that?

Does the evo hum a lot compared to your other pickups? If its been split it will have the 60 cycle hum regular single coils are subject to. Also, if you don't mind opening your guitar up, try comparing the electronics to a DiMarzio wiring diagram. If the colors don't match then someone made a mistake. Was the guy who installed the evo a professional?
Quote by Dr. Guitar
Does the evo hum a lot compared to your other pickups? If its been split it will have the 60 cycle hum regular single coils are subject to. Also, if you don't mind opening your guitar up, try comparing the electronics to a DiMarzio wiring diagram. If the colors don't match then someone made a mistake. Was the guy who installed the evo a professional?

No, it isn't really humming at all.

Well, he told me that he hadn't replaced pickups in quite a while. He's been running a guitar shop for 20-some-odd years though, so I'm assuming he at least knows what he's doing.
i have the original evos, i find them to sound too much like a pair of single coils (say a middle and bridge setting on a strat) and I think a Super Distortion sounds a lot fuller.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by necrophilic
oh no.
i've been planning to buy this bridge pickup.
(i have the evo.)

Never fear. The problem was just that the dude who put the pickup in set it too far away from the strings. I raised that sucker up and it sounds great. I absolutely hate the sound of the Evolution bridge pickup, but this Evo 2 is fantastic. Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by GetOutOfMyYard
Never fear. The problem was just that the dude who put the pickup in set it too far away from the strings. I raised that sucker up and it sounds great. I absolutely hate the sound of the Evolution bridge pickup, but this Evo 2 is fantastic. Thanks for the help everyone.

ha. i was right. You should've just listened to me.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
I think evo2's are great, wish I bought them when I had the chance.. =s
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW