What does this do to your tone? I've heard of many people how to do this, and I was wondering on what this would do to my tone. I have a Mesa Boogie Mark IV with a Mesa 4x12. How do you do it as well? Thanks.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
get a box to split your signal or run both lines in a stereo pedal (delay,chorus, rotary, etc.) you can get crazy fx by doing it like the left right ping pong delay or use it to get a bigger sound by using different settings on the individual amps to emphasise certain frequencies like a fender hot rod with highs emphasized and a marshall with low/mid emphasized to get that huge wall of sound effect or both
You pretty much just need two amps and an ABY box. Then hook your guitar into the box's input, and put the outputs into the two amps. Play.

What does it do? It sounds good. The difference in tone between the two amps will make it sound fuller, and the fact that you've got more speakers will make it just generally 'bigger'.
Quote by cokeisbetter
You pretty much just need two amps and an ABY box. Then hook your guitar into the box's input, and put the outputs into the two amps. Play.

What does it do? It sounds good. The difference in tone between the two amps will make it sound fuller, and the fact that you've got more speakers will make it just generally 'bigger'.

Okay, cool. I'm thinking about running it. With what amp combined with my Mark IV would make it sound smoother? I was thinking of using a Mesa Boogie Lonestar, but I'm not sure.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Y'ing two amps isn't stereo, use a stereo delay or chorus or something and run it to both amps. That's stereo. Also splitting an instrument level line that isn't buffered is crap IMO.
These go to eleven...
well, i just want to get a smoother tone from my mark IV. Is their a way to do that?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
I'm running both my amps together and love it. Each amp really fills out the other and with an insanely thick tone to boot. Its pretty much like a live double track so it just fills the room and there each individual differences get lost in the mix and form one unit. After running two amps together I will never go back to just running a single amp... Theres a few clips in my profile of each amp on there own and then together. Best track is test 3, i actually finally got recording down right before i made that one so its a decent clip.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 - I'm doing it too but it doesn't sound as good as his obviously.

You're talkin' Jack to Jack right Psycho?

Either way you run it the outcome is the same. jack to jack, a/b/y box, splitter cable, buffered splitter box (better for your signal) and so on....
Jim's got it right, you can run two amps with a splitter and it's interesting but the best setup is using a stereo effects unit to split your tone.
Effects such as digital delay, chorus, phaser, flanger are amazing. You'll get a much fuller tone and the sweeping stereo tones will give you a much bigger sound, useful if you're playing in a 3 piece band.
Joe Walsh has been playing that way for years.
I've recently started using a JTM30 and a Peavey Classic 20 split by a Boss ME-30, they sound great together although I haven't had a chance to stretch their legs properly.
The secret is to have two amps that reach their sweet spot at around the same volume otherwise it's a bit out of balance.
How do you then switch channels on both amps at once i.e. wanting to switch from clean to dirty on both amps without having to hit 2 foot switches?
you would probably have to use some sort of midi controler (well that would be easiest if the amps are midi enabled)
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis