ok so here's the deal, i have a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker installed in my Gibson SG, but im not too fond of the pickup. It's good and all, but lacking crunch and gets muddy at points. It's sorta hard to explain but some Dimebucker users should know what i'm talking about. I'm looking into the EMG 81/85 set, EMGs better or should i stick with what i got? And also, which set of EMGs is better, or whats the difference between the 81/85 set and the 81/60 set. I'm into mostly high gain rock, alternative, metal and thrash and am mostly a lead player. If you have any other pickup suggestions, please feel free to give them!
Last edited by taytay8b at Aug 4, 2008,
if ur mostly lead id go 81/60
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
definetly get rid of the dimebucker.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by hendrix_128
if ur mostly lead id go 81/60

actually, if you are mostly lead, go with an 81/81, gets best lead tones and great for rhythm crunch. trust me, i have both an ESP with 81/60 and and ESP with 81/81. the one with the 60 is definitely for my cleans and rhythm and my other one is for my leads and rhythm. if you are lead, go for the 81/81 and i like to stay away from the 85s personally.
Last edited by Mary Just at Aug 4, 2008,
I'm rhythm, I went 81/60 (the Hetfield combo). It gives a better advantage in the cleans, while still delivering pretty intense distortion. The 81/85 (Zakk Wylde) is pretty common for most lead players that use EMGs.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
the 85 is kinda like a more crunchy 60, or to some, more muddy. the 60 is better for cleans. it's got more clarity and a tighter punch than the 85, but to untrained ears there really isn't a HUGE difference imo.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
i've got an 81/85 in my sg and it suits me well. i definitely recommend it.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
thanks for all your advice guys! what about the Seymour Duncan Blackouts? how are they compared to EMGs?
Some say blackouts are better, but I reckon most people that say that are just bandwagoning.

I say get a new amp. While the Duoverb is a fine modelling amp, you won't want actives running through it. Plus, modellers don't usually respond to pickups changes the same as tube amps. It is likely to sound very similar.
well, at GC, i played two schecters through a Peavey XXX stack, one had EMG 81/60, the other had blackouts. The EMGs sounded muddy and no where near the clarity and crunch of the blackouts. IMO, blackouts are a bit better.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
^81/60 on a Schecter? I thought most of them had the 81/89 combo?

Anywho, the Dimebucker's a pretty awful pickup. IMHO, EMG's/ Blackouts sound a lot better in high- gain tube amps where the tone already has some character- not in modellers. I think a nice, high- output passive would be right up your alley... maybe a Dimarzio D Activator/ X2N/ Tone Zone?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
^81/60 on a Schecter? I thought most of them had the 81/89 combo?

Anywho, the Dimebucker's a pretty awful pickup. IMHO, EMG's/ Blackouts sound a lot better in high- gain tube amps where the tone already has some character- not in modellers. I think a nice, high- output passive would be right up your alley... maybe a Dimarzio D Activator/ X2N/ Tone Zone?

idk, i even asked the guitar tech guy what they were outta curiosity, and thats what he said
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I say get a new amp. While the Duoverb is a fine modelling amp, you won't want actives running through it. Plus, modellers don't usually respond to pickups changes the same as tube amps. It is likely to sound very similar.

While I'd love too, i'm only a teenager with a really tight budget and can't really afford anything like that I run a Boss Metal Zone through it though because the modelers don't sound that great, and trust me I noticed a big difference when i changed the pickups to my Dimebucker, although I'm sure it would sound better on a tube amp.

And yea ive heard mixed opinions on the Blackouts in the past, mostly just "they're copying EMG, so they must suck.", and thats about it lol, but thanks for what you guys are giving me.
well it was a gift from my grandfather, and i wouldn't want to insult him, and i think it was 650 for the head and the cab plus i traded my old amp (Behringer V-Ampire) towards it, which brought it down to around 450 or so, so in the end it was a pretty good deal. Anyways, it's not the best but im satisfied with it, and it gets the job done fairly well. I have the FBV shortboard too, which is fun to have with that amp.