hey

the peavey classic 30 i ordered came in the mail today but i think i need some help with it.

the amp is plugged in and turns on fine, the pilot light is on and looks ok

when i plug my guitar into the amp though, i cant get any sound out of it. Do you think the speaker just crapped out or what? this is my first tube amp so i dont really know if i have to do anything 'special' or whatever to get it working.

thanks
-mroe
Quote by wemonir
some guy asked me if i wanted to go back to his apartment and spin around on his weiner but i told him i had to go to the dentist
did you turn off the standby?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
there isnt a standby. at least not on the front panel

-mroe
Quote by wemonir
some guy asked me if i wanted to go back to his apartment and spin around on his weiner but i told him i had to go to the dentist
Quote by mroe
there isnt a standby. at least not on the front panel

-mroe

You let it warm up?

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
ya i let it warm up. how long should i warm it for though? it was warming up for like 3 minutes when i tried it earlier

-mroe
Quote by wemonir
3 minutes is more than enough for warm up. are your power tubes glowing?
they are glowing, but only very slightly. a feint light is all i see

-mroe
Quote by wemonir
Is the volume turned up? On your guitar, too? Is the speaker connected?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yea theyre all good
Quote by wemonir
is there any hum or hiss coming from the speaker? or is it flat silence besides the transformer?
i cant hear a hum coming out of the area where the on switch is. sounds like its coming from the pilot light.

at first it sounds like there is no hum from the speaker but when i put my ear right against it, i can hear a very very light hum.

-mroe
Quote by wemonir
hmm if the power tubes are lighting and theres hum from the speaker that should mean that the power section should be ok. assuming the speaker is wired right and all your guitar/cords are good, it could be dirty inputs (try using contact cleaner to clean it out) or a bad preamp tube. i dont suppose you have a spare preamp tube to test with?

of course it could be something totally different...
yea i dont have anything else to test it with. ill just take it to a local shop tomorrow to get it checked out.

thanks a lot for the help

-mroe
Quote by wemonir
Quote by mroe
yea i dont have anything else to test it with. ill just take it to a local shop tomorrow to get it checked out.

thanks a lot for the help

-mroe

There's a ton of things it could be, but only a short list of things you can check without any test gear. The pilot light coming on tells you almost nothing of any real value, except that it's plugged in and getting AC power.

If you can see a filament lighting up on any of the power tubes then it at least tells you that fuse F3 isn't blown, and that none of the power tube filaments are blown. The power tube filaments are all wired in series on the Classic 30.

Try plugging a patch cable into the effects send and return jacks. These jacks have bypass switches built into them, and it's pretty common for those switches to get dirty. If they do then you'll lose signal. If the signal comes back when you plug in a patch cable then you need to clean out those jacks.
If you have the channel button in you are on the OD channel which has a different volume control than the clean channel. Try turning up the Post knob which is the OD channel volume