ok so here's the drama...

in our band we all have different tastes in music and some people are very stubborn and refuse to play a song that everyone else wanted to play. Because we couldn't decide on a cover song we tried and start with our own song. we wrote the music for the song which was great. when it came time to do the lyrics, well, not so great...

we spent half an hour even trying to come up with an idea for the song to be about and when we did get an idea we couldn't agree on lyrics.

I've thought of dropping out but I have no friends that I could do it with. I know tons of people who play guitar but none of them are as good as the guitarist for our band. I also don't know any other bassists or drummers. (I'm the singer).

in case some of you are confused and don't understand the problem a basic sum up is that:
we can't decided on a song, we can't decided on lyrics, I don't want to drop out or kick people out.

as much as I can get would be appericated, please and thank you
play more than one or.... vote on songs and try and find one you all like and why doesnt the singer write the lyrics
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
i did our lead guitarist didn't like them it was suppose to be a metal song he is absolutly in love with metal and said they didn't sound metal enough
Why are you even bothering with this band? The guitarist may be better, but if you guys have different tastes, its not gonna go anywhere anyway. Drop out and find a different band. As hard as it may be to find one you like, in the end it'll be worth it. Better than being miserable in a band that you don't like anyway...
you should have one set person write lyrics, because if you have your whole band do it, the lyrics can get kinda crowded and might not make sense and might go in different directions.
Quote by speedy1330
ok so here's the drama...

in our band we all have different tastes in music and some people are very stubborn and refuse to play a song that everyone else wanted to play. Because we couldn't decide on a cover song we tried and start with our own song. we wrote the music for the song which was great. when it came time to do the lyrics, well, not so great...

we spent half an hour even trying to come up with an idea for the song to be about and when we did get an idea we couldn't agree on lyrics.

I've thought of dropping out but I have no friends that I could do it with. I know tons of people who play guitar but none of them are as good as the guitarist for our band. I also don't know any other bassists or drummers. (I'm the singer).

in case some of you are confused and don't understand the problem a basic sum up is that:
we can't decided on a song, we can't decided on lyrics, I don't want to drop out or kick people out.

as much as I can get would be appericated, please and thank you

we can't decide on songs you mean.

But for your question ya just play some of everything, your the singer so whatever lyrics you want should be the way it is. But don't shoot them down if they have any recommendations. Just talk it out.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
Quote by \m/NikkiRyan\m/
Why are you even bothering with this band? The guitarist may be better, but if you guys have different tastes, its not gonna go anywhere anyway. Drop out and find a different band. As hard as it may be to find one you like, in the end it'll be worth it. Better than being miserable in a band that you don't like anyway...

+1, I wouldn't reccomend this for all situations, it's always good to try compromise, and if you can do so whilst still being perfectly happy with what you're doing, then that is the best idea. However sometimes it just won't work, and you have to leave or kick people out. Yeahhh. But be civil about it.
Same problem I have, only factor in a stubborn-as-hell drummer, a completely incompetent bassist, a tone-deaf singer with no concept of rythm, and only having one beginner guitarist.

I'm the beginner guitarist.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by scguitarking927
If your the vocalists, its really up to you what the lyrics are. Your the one singing them not them.

Not true. I wouldn't let my singer have a serious song using lines like "I hate kikes and dykes and niggers and fags" because I disagree with what it says and wouldn't want my music associated with it.

It'd be ironic if my band did that as our singer is black and bi and our bassist is jewish
Isn't it just simple enough to drop out of the band and find people with a similar taste and views in music to yours?
Quote by sprkidjar
you should have one set person write lyrics, because if you have your whole band do it, the lyrics can get kinda crowded and might not make sense and might go in different directions.

Yeah you should do that in my band me and the singer come up with lyrics separately and then share them with the rest of the band and theres usually no objections if there is we simply edit them and everyone's happy. On the other hand you could be a bad lyricist or simply lacking inspiration in that case find something politically (war, famine, oil) or socially (emos, posers) that you disagree with, that helps a lot and practice singing the lyrics so you can sin them to you band.