I'm looking at the new Ibanez Giger RGHRG1, which costs around $1,300. I haven't played in years, and have also never owned a decent guitar. I was just curious to see what some people thought about it, and if it was worth the money.

BTW I need an amp as well. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated for both guitar and amp choices!

Thanks,

Mega-G
$1,300, and you get an Edge III. WHAT HAS IBANEZ DONE
but don't get it, you can do a A LOT better. What types of music do you play?
That is like the opposite of a good value. What you are paying for in that guitar is the laser engraved shiznut. There are better Ibanez guitars for the money..
I'm into rock, hard rock, and metal. I've been heavily interested in learning how to shred. It doesn't have to be an ibanez guitar, but I was looking into them because I thought they were more oriented towards the heavy side of music.

I got about $2,000 to spend on a guitar and amp, and I want to get the best bang for my buck while getting decent equipment.

I don't know if the amp or the guitar is what really produces the desired sound, so that's why I'm coming here for help as well. Half of me wants to get gear for straight up shred metal, while the other half wants to be able to play some blues or something less distorted if I should feel the urge.

Will the guitar really make the difference on the style of play, or is that the amp and effect pedals? It's been a long time since I've played, and have never had really good gear before. I'm a novice again.
Last edited by gardon at Aug 5, 2008,
test out a bunch of guitars at a guitar center of all different values and find one that feels the best.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
SL3 soloist for $1,149, looks nice and I've heard good things about it.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by gardon
I'm into rock, hard rock, and metal. I've been heavily interested in learning how to shred. It doesn't have to be an ibanez guitar, but I was looking into them because I thought they were more oriented towards the heavy side of music.

I got about $2,000 to spend on a guitar and amp, and I want to get the best bang for my buck while getting decent equipment.

I don't know if the amp or the guitar is what really produces the desired sound, so that's why I'm coming here for help as well. Half of me wants to get gear for straight up shred metal, while the other half wants to be able to play some blues or something less distorted if I should feel the urge.

Will the guitar really make the difference on the style of play, or is that the amp and effect pedals? It's been a long time since I've played, and have never had really good gear before. I'm a novice again.

Look in to Schecter man. I got a Hellraiser FR and the thing is fast as hell. I played a bunch of Ibanez and found the Schecter to be right for me. It's all about personal preference though, Ibanez makes some really nice guitars. The neck on the Hellraiser just felt better to me. Go to the guitar store and try out everything. As far as the sound you're looking for, a nice amp will make much more difference than a nice guitar. You can plug a ****ty guitar into a nice amp and still sound good. But if you plug in a nice guitar into a ****ty amp you won't sound good. I would make sure you get a quality amp. If I were you id get the Schecter Hellraiser ($700) and spend the rest on a nice tube amp wit lots of gain
Last edited by jordan8865 at Aug 5, 2008,
If you don't care about your cleans that much, get a used 5150 combo they run about 500-650. Then you have more money to get a guitar. If you want an amp that more versatile take a look at the carvin v3. As for a guitar, take a look at the higher end Esp/ltd's
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
SL3 soloist for $1,149, looks nice and I've heard good things about it.

+1
Its the (very well made) Japanese version of my SL2, and i must say: there wont be alot of guitars under 1500 that can compete with it. (unless you go second hand offcourse, but then the SL3 costs about 700-800)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Schecter is a good alternative to Ibanez. Main difference is the necks are thicker. 1300 for a guitar with a edge III is just wrong.
I have an Ibanez RGA121 which is hardtail bridge, no mucking with tremolos for me. Got the violin finish one with mahogany body and maple cap. Sounds kinda like a Les Paul, but brighter.

If you can do without the whammy bar, you can save a lot of grief with messing with them. I got mine for $650 in mint condition off ebay. You can find them new for about $900.

For an amp, a little one that is good is the VOX ad30vt. $250 or so new.