I've gotten into a habit of barring my power chords with my first and third finger. This was mainly because the way I did it i could mute the other strings with the part of my finger not holding down a string, this way I could hit all 6 strings and only get the desired chord.

lately I've been realizing in a lot of videos, people use the whole 5th chord shape and only play the first three strings of the chord. i had usually avoided that in the past because when playing a power chord like a "D" or "C" i could only downstroke or else I would hit undesired strings and turn it into a minor.

So am I doing it right, or are you supposed to make the major 5 and minor 5 shapes but only play the first three strings??
I do it the 2 finger way because I have massive fingers

I even cut my index pretty bad once and used my middle and pinky to do the same thing

giant hands for the win
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
I use 3 fingers, cause mine are long, but weak and thin. I can play a power chord, but I can only barre it in Drop D.
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
I used to use my 1st and 3rd fingers, but now I add the 4th. It helps, I think. You can still mute the strings you don't want to hit with your fingers (your first finger is probably not far off those strings anyway), but it would probably be benefical to learn to only strum the strings you need. A little practice is probably all you need.
always use the proper way, three finger,,, Barring with ring finger is very bad technique. you will thank yourself when you start learning barre chords my friend.
Quote by powerchord117
I've gotten into a habit of barring my power chords with my first and third finger. This was mainly because the way I did it i could mute the other strings with the part of my finger not holding down a string, this way I could hit all 6 strings and only get the desired chord.

lately I've been realizing in a lot of videos, people use the whole 5th chord shape and only play the first three strings of the chord. i had usually avoided that in the past because when playing a power chord like a "D" or "C" i could only downstroke or else I would hit undesired strings and turn it into a minor.

So am I doing it right, or are you supposed to make the major 5 and minor 5 shapes but only play the first three strings??

People who are basically using the 5 string shapes but minus the third are not barring any more; they use the finger that was barring the string to mute the unplayed string. In my opinion this is much better as it allows you much more freedom to change the type of chord that you're playing with much less effort than if you're barring with your middle finger.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Findinghomer
always use the proper way, three finger,,, Barring with ring finger is very bad technique. you will thank yourself when you start learning barre chords my friend.

I know the barre chords, that's just how I play it when i only want to hit the first three strings of the barre chord.