I think I've finally settled on a setup I want.

-Peavey Classic 30
-Some sort of high-end distortion pedal

I play mostly rock and blues, and some metal. I figured the Classic 30 would be great for rock and blues, then for when I crave metal tones, I'll have the pedal. Essentially, a three channel setup (clean, mid-gain, and high-gain). Now, the reason I don't get a metal orientated amp is because I don't care for metal tones as much as I care for rock and blues tones, so it's okay if my metal tone isn't perfect.

First, do you think there are any flaws in this plan?

Second, for the distortion pedal, I was thinking either a Keeley-Modded MT-2 or a ZVex Box of Metal. Which is better? Would you recommend any other ones?

I'd really appreciate any helpful posts.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Buy a tubescreamer or any other OD and use it to boost your amps gain channel...
Or, just buy a Metal Muff
Quote by Ghold125
get an od pedal and boost your amp, will sound a lot better.

I can't boost a Classic 30 enough to get metal tones. I've tried.
Quote by cedaguol
Buy a tubescreamer or any other OD and use it to boost your amps gain channel...
Or, just buy a Metal Muff

Same as above. And I was thinking something a bit more quality than the Metal Muff. I didn't like it when I tried it.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Even if you did boost it into metal territory its not voiced right in my opinion, I would just go with high end distortion pedal, Box of Metal gets my pick.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
im not a big fan of the muff's either ,just not what i was looking for
(DO NOT MAKE A SEX JOKE OUT OF THIS)
try the metalcore or the metalzone....
while i havent played either of those pedals, i would say you have the right idea. a distortion pedal with the C30 is the way to go. everyone who says that you should only use OD pedals with a tube amp obviously doesnt know what they are talking about.

as for the pedals, i know keeley does some great stuff. ive got a ts-9 modified by him and it is fantastic. dont know about the metal zone, but he does do nice work. while i havent played the box of metal, i have played the box of rock and the fuzz factory. both are very nice, but require some tweaking. while you can get very nice sounds out of zvex pedals, you can also get some stuff that sounds like ass. so if you arent a tweaker, skip that one.

blackstar recently released some new pedals as well that are pretty nice. they are right around the budget area you are looking into as well. while i didnt like the metal one as much as some of the others (but thats cause im not a metal guy), id say its worth a look. dont really know much for other metal pedals cause as previously stated im not into that, so i dont really have any other suggestions.
Thanks. Anybody else have any input?
thats pretty epic.
Yup...
Also there is the
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Demonizer-Tube-Distortion-Preamp-Pedal?sku=154700

Damage Control Demonizer... I have not gotten my hands on one yet but I've heard some great things about their tube pedals. It looks pretty nice.

Same price as the Box of Metal so its worth checking out.

Like jof1029 said the Zvex pedals are tweaker pedals. They can be very good and very bad.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
That Jerkell And Hyde one? I dunno what it's called. But that should do it, as well as having an overdrive thing for boosts.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Check out seymour duncan dist pedals, i quite like the sound of the twin tube mayhem
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by thefrigginbob
Also there is the
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Demonizer-Tube-Distortion-Preamp-Pedal?sku=154700

Damage Control Demonizer... I have not gotten my hands on one yet but I've heard some great things about their tube pedals. It looks pretty nice.

Same price as the Box of Metal so its worth checking out.

Like jof1029 said the Zvex pedals are tweaker pedals. They can be very good and very bad.

Tried one at LIMS. It was utter garbage, so uncontrollable. I would look into Radial ToneBones personally.
I'll look into all of these. Thanks for the suggestions.
thats pretty epic.
Yup...