Hi guys, I'm gonna be picking up my Peavey 6505 sometime this week (hopefully, shipping bastards ) and I have a cab for it, and the cab is loaded with 4X12" Celestion G12P-80's, or other-wise known as the Seventy80's according to google.
Are these good speakers for Death Metal, so would the fare well with the 6505? Or are they complete ****? I couldn't find anything in the search bar and google wasn't very helpful either. Anybody?
Not sure how they sound with the 6505, but my cab has them and I play metal and they sound pretty good.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Nice, I have a Kustom cab, and I imagined on trading it in with the stack I got it with, but if the speakers are good quality then there's no point in trading it all in for a differant cab.
They're rated at 4 ohm's, so will that affect the Tone from the amp? Because if the speakers are good, but the ohmage isn't good then I can rewire the cab pretty easily.
randall uses those speakers exclusively on their reasonably priced amps, so I'd assume they sound pretty nice for metal

try to pick up a peavey 412ms cab from a local music store or online, they're old cabs that use Sheffield 1200 speakers, the same kind of speakers used in the 6505 cabs. i got mine for $200
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Cool man, I've heard that the Sheffields are basically Peavey's speaker's so they use them almost exclusively with their cabs. I just don't like the thin grill on the 6505 cab because you can see all the framing and it just doesn't look as snazzy as it could be, but if they have one with the same speakers then I'll definantly check it out.
Anybody know anymore info on these speakers?
Last edited by bowen at Aug 5, 2008,
Nice to hear some varying results
I read through some other google links that these were knock off V30's, which as ****ty as it may seem I don't know if I should just get rid of the entire cab now for either a Laney cab or H&K cab, but I'll be going into the music stores in the closest city to the stores to see what they've got kickin around.
Here's the thing.

Sheffields suck. Through and through suck. Everyone knows peavey speakers suck; the blue marvel in my classic 30 sucks. They sound so much better with replacements.
v30s are great for metal. They tighten up the bass, and they pump some mids to make you cut through the mix and not get muddy. However, with something more marshall flavored, they can get ice pick sounding and harsh. But with 6505s and rectos, for example, they sound great. Also, breaking them in does a LOT to make them sound good. You do that as you play loudly over a while.
There are lots of other speakers though. Greenbacks have less of a midspike and aren't as harsh as v30s can be but usually aren't great with dark high gain amps like 6505s and rectos.

Get v30s, and break them in Peavey cabs are good, but the speakers in them suck. You won't get a lot of money for your cab, but you can go to www.warehousespeakers.com and buy 4 v30 copies that sound great and stick them in your cab and try to sell the sheffields for like $20. Nobody will want the sheffields or a cab with them in it unless you find an idiot
hahaha, allrighty man, I'll take your word for it
At a music store I'm checking out, they have an old Laney cab that's paired with the GH50l they have there, anybody know what's in that cab? I don't know the model name, but if I can trade in my **** for it then I think it'd be worth my while. Anybody know of this mystery cab? Info on it?
Quote by Say Ocean
Nobody will want the sheffields or a cab with them in it unless you find an idiot

I hate you.

lmao

in my opinion they sound very nice with my randall rh200, i haven't tried them with any other amp heads. but compared to Vintage 30's, Sheffields do, like you said, suck. i just wouldnt go as far as saying they suck through and through and are bad for metal, as I constantly get complimented on my tone after gigs. but maybe thats just the randall. oh well.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Last edited by SeanHart213 at Aug 5, 2008,