when you sound really bad when you play correctly. like a rattling noise.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Tune to pitch, press the E string on the F fret while also pressing that string on a fret in the 13th to 15th region and see if there is a gap between the string and the top of the 7th fret. If the string touches there, the truss rod needs to be relieved. If the gap is more than a few tenths of a millimeter, the truss rod needs tightening.
For most people this is good enough, but the real freak suffering from perfect pitch can use this as a base setting from which to dial in intonation for the middle positions. More gap means sharper notes, less gap makes them flatter. Some players fret gently while others really squeeze to extract notes, requiring different set ups also.
This however, only makes sense when the guitar has it's nut and saddle set up perfectly, is very well tempered and when an an exeptionally sensitive player is involved. For most mortals and most earthly instruments a gap of two or three tenths of a millimeter will do fine. If strings still rattle, go for raising the saddle pieces first.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Aug 5, 2008,
in latest guitarist it says to look down the neck from nut to bridge and it should look just very slightly, almost unnoticably curved
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Quote by bass dude nick
in latest guitarist it says to look down the neck from nut to bridge and it should look just very slightly, almost unnoticably curved

You're sure this is not the way they advice to check for warp?
Quote by Marcel Veltman
You're sure this is not the way they advice to check for warp?

yea, in the help section or whatever this guy was complaining about fret buzz and how to set his truss rod properly
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Well... I wouldn't dare to dispute the expertise of the Guitarist people. Apparently their technical editor is so good that 'very sligtly, almost unnoticably curved' is all the information he needs to set up a neck spot on, while a humble grease monkey like myself must do with a well defined gap that can be measured with feeler gauche or micrometer.
Too bad. Years of tinkering with high performance internal combustion engines must have blunted my senses.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Well... I wouldn't dare to dispute the expertise of the Guitarist people. Apparently their technical editor is so good that 'very sligtly, almost unnoticably curved' is all the information he needs to set up a neck spot on, while a humble grease monkey like myself must do with a well defined gap that can be measured with feeler gauche or micrometer.
Too bad. Years of tinkering with high performance internal combustion engines must have blunted my senses.

firstly, since he does it for a living he is probably very good, however, looking down the neck was just to see if it needs adjusting, it then goes on to talk about using a feeler guage later on, so don't have a rant unless you've actually seen the article
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
I apologize Bass dude Nick.
If you leave the out of context quoting to the journalists, I'll leave the acting on such misrepresentations to the politicians.
No need to have an argument here, for we fully agree.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
I apologize Bass dude Nick.
If you leave the out of context quoting to the journalists, I'll leave the acting on such misrepresentations to the politicians.
No need to have an argument here, for we fully agree.

apology accepted and i apologise for not giving all the info
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!