I mostly like rock but i hate using a pick, so i was wondering if finger picking is allwoed for rock?
Quote by simplekin88
I mostly like rock but i hate using a pick, so i was wondering if finger picking is allwoed for rock?

Ask Mark Knopfler.
-.-'

I'm gonna try and give you a more serious answer.

In my experience playing (in general), finger picking is quieter, but I haven't noticed any other significant differences. Far as I can tell, the worst you're gonna have to do is turn up your amp a little bit.
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
Quote by Ulciroa
-.-'

I'm gonna try and give you a more serious answer.

In my experience playing (in general), finger picking is quieter, but I haven't noticed any other significant differences. Far as I can tell, the worst you're gonna have to do is turn up your amp a little bit.

That's sweet, because I was wondering the same thing as this thread's author.
Isn't this what banjo players do? Of course, they use those finger ... thingies.
EDIT: also, didn't Lindsey Buckingham use fingers on his solos in Fleetwood Mac?
Last edited by Jet-Jaguar at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by V FTW V
but you can't play very fast i think,

I'd think the opposite. You've got four fingers you could potentially alternate with on one string as opposed to your wrist and one pick. If you have the coordination of all your fingers down, fingerpicking could be lightning fast. Not to say you can't pick fast, but you know.
I saw a guy play Metal finger picked.
And holy ****... it was fast.
of course you can, i dont know how much difference there would be from using a pick... I mainly use a pick and i use hybrid picking alot for solos... in Rock music... if your wanting to fingerpick only for metal at all...
Theres no rules to rock.............you could play the guitar with your c0ck if u wanted!
Quote by clement1
Theres no rules to rock.............you could play the guitar with your c0ck if u wanted!

+10
I can play super fast with just my thumb but at some point you need to use a pick

Watch a chicken pick'n solo from Zakk Wylde
Omgwtfbbq
they both have very different techniques and timbre. Fingerpicking gives a slightly softer quiter sound, whereas picks give a harder sound. you cant chickenpick with a pick or do many other techniques, however it is very hard to do things like pinch harmonics and the like
Dude, whatever you're best at. I suck at fingerpicking but I practice it regardless because it could be useful in the long run. I suck at alternate picking too, but I practice it.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but don't you fingerpick the intro and beginning main riffs to Stairway?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by captainoid
Ask Mark Knopfler.

plus one
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm