I recently purchased a MIM Strat and was wondering if taking off the backplate/tremolo cover on the back of the guitar would affect my tone in either a negative or positive way.

Its quite a bit easier to change strings and such with it off, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice tone. Also, could the springs there be damaged?

Cheers!
Last edited by Shortay at Aug 5, 2008,
I don't think there's any significant change in tone, but when I used to own a strat, I'd always keep the backplate removed to make changing strings easier.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
some might say that an open backed strat has a different tone but not enough to bet money on. Mine is open 'cause it is easier and sexier. Just make sure your belt buckle or whateverdoes not get caught in thar...

also, make sure the ground wire is secure/taped down...
Quote by Shortay
I recently purchased a MIM Strat and was wondering if taking off the backplate/tremolo cover on the back of the guitar would affect my tone in either a negative or positive way.

Its quite a bit easier to change strings and such with it off, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice tone. Also, could the springs there be damaged?

Cheers!

Well, when I took mine off I didn't notice a difference, but there may be a slight one. I've had my plate off for 6 months now, no damage to anything, touch wood.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
Well, when I took mine off I didn't notice a difference, but there may be a slight one. I've had my plate off for 6 months now, no damage to anything, touch wood.

You just wait, your belt buckle will snap the springs, and they'll lodge in your eye!

Kidding!

I doesn't do any damage, but if you wanna be sure, put it on for playing, and when it comes to putting strings on, take it off. Couldn't be any more simpler.
Cam Sampbell's my hero