Pinch Harmonics
12/8 timing
7/8 timing
Lamb of God
Rise Against
Regina Spektor
Dream Theater
and many others...
excellent. Use your inexperience with metal to finally break some boundaries.

Just don't use "metalish" lyrics. Most of them are garbage anyway. Write about things that matter to you. Be real. It'll show in your lyrics. If you write about **** that you have no experience with--like most metal lyrics--it'll just come across as forced and painful.

Good luck!
I owe a ton of people critiques.

If you're one of them, please PM me.

I have trouble keeping track.
Every metal song I know is in drop D, if that helps at all. Of course, there is only so many things you can do in drop D, (or so it seems), but yeah. GOOD LUCK!
Quote by relientj
Every metal song I know is in drop D, if that helps at all. Of course, there is only so many things you can do in drop D, (or so it seems), but yeah. GOOD LUCK!

DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT!!!
just because you write some chugs in drop D and scream over it dosnt make you metal.

it all depends on what type of metal your aiming for, like 80
s metal or death metal. hell even generic thrash metal like metallica is a good inspiration. but dont assume it's metal because it's drop D, theres plenty of metal songs in standard that are awesome.

but may i suggest for the solo you try finger taping, extreme bends, dive bombs, dime squeals and sweeping.
we all know it takes a REAL man to hate some one BETTER THAN YOU
I'd say:

A bit of distortion,

A fair bit of tremelo picking,

Mainly a focus on Powerchords instead of triads,

And think outside of scales: In metal, dissonance is your friend.

Though then it all depends what sub genre you're going for.
GUITAR!!!!!
Quote by abyssalghost
DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT!!!
just because you write some chugs in drop D and scream over it dosnt make you metal.

it all depends on what type of metal your aiming for, like 80
s metal or death metal. hell even generic thrash metal like metallica is a good inspiration. but dont assume it's metal because it's drop D, theres plenty of metal songs in standard that are awesome.

but may i suggest for the solo you try finger taping, extreme bends, dive bombs, dime squeals and sweeping.

I never said anything about screaming. And I'm just going from my experience, there is no right and wrong about my experience. We all have our own input, and he can take what he likes, and ignore what he doesn't.
Quote by relientj
I never said anything about screaming. And I'm just going from my experience, there is no right and wrong about my experience. We all have our own input, and he can take what he likes, and ignore what he doesn't.

...Well, it's incorrect to say that all metal is in drop D, so yes, there is right and wrong to it.

TS: Metal is generally dominated by distorted guitars, aggressive vocals and driving rhythm. "Powerchords" (perfect 5ths) are used heavily, although it tends to sound better if you use them sparingly/in specific rhythms, rather than just in punk-style 8th notes. In a lot of genres of metal, heavy palm muting is used, especially on the open low E string.

Drop-tuning and low tunings are worth exploring, but not 100% necessary. Metallica, Iron Maiden, and most other "classic" metal bands write predominantly in standard tuning.

In terms of scales and soloing, the pentatonic scale, blues scale, natural minor scale and phrygian scale generally work for metal. A lot of chromatics, dissonance and passing notes are used as well. Solos generally feature very fast playing, with a lot of flashy techniques - obviously try and make it fit the song, but speed picking, trem-picking, triplets, tapping, sweep picking and unison bends are all good.

If you learn a couple of basic/generic metal songs - say Metallica's Enter Sandman for example, you'll get a decent overview of the basic structure of most metal.

Kristofer Dahl's video lessons on this site are excellent for learning metal lead / shred.

And finally, try and be original! Bring your own slant to it, don't just write

--------------------2-------2---------5-5----
-0-0-0-0-0-------0-------0---------3-3----

And say "right, we can write metal, what's next?"

good luck
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Think of what metal would sound like to you and add a bit of your style to it. Don't just emulate some standard metal licks, most of them suck anyway. Only the really good, unique ones stand out.