would doing a couple hundred crunches every night help you lose weight?
X
It would boost your metabolism and burn calories, so yes.

Definately isn't very effective.

Doing hundreds won't give you a six pack super fast either.

If you want to lose weight do cardio and eat right. Stay away from trans fats and saturated fats. Avoid unneccasary sugary foods/drinks as it just turns to fat.
There is an ONLY fitness thread.
But as far as I know if you already have a bunch of fat, you'll just be building muscle under it. So you need to also do cardio e.g. jogging to get rid of the fat first.

Keep in mind you could do both, but there would probably be a point where it seemed like you got bigger.
you will have a hard time getting to sleep if you do them at night

also, it will build muscle, but like captainron said, stay away from fats and unnecessary sugary foods/drinks because you will only be building abs underneath the layer of fat
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Only a little. All it would do is build muscle under the fat on your stomach. In order for it to show, you need to be active, like run or something. But it can't hurt.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
I would if I had lots to lose, though if crunches were so magical, then something better would be 10x as effective.
Last edited by lotsofvolume at Aug 5, 2008,
No, it will make you gain 50 pounds of fat a week.
more sig required.
since the start of July i have been eating sensibly, doing 25 sit-ups and going jogging for 30 minutes every morning excluding the weekends and a couple of odd Fridays here and there, and i dropped 4 trouser sizes, i.e. 12 centimetres.

i havent weighed myself but i think i was around 95 to 98 kilos when i started. it doesnt go fast, but when you start to see the positive results, you will want to keep going and never go back.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Why the hell would you want to do 200 crunches a night? Haven't you ever heard of balance? Buddhism, man, look it up.

Have some balance in your life. If you want to lose weight? Balance out your diet and don't eat too much of one thing or too little of an other. Want to exercise? Same concept. Do a wide array of excerise that work your entire body. It's foolish to concentrate on one thing like that. IQ = Fail
-O
(~/
~~~DUCK!!!!
You're on the right track, but crunches aren't as effective as some other exercises you can try.

Just google pilates, do it for 15 minutes a day, you'll be set with that. And hey some of the videos even have some pretty nice looking ladies, extra motivation no?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Nah not really mate and it won't get you a six pack either. For losing weight I would do **** loads of running.
oooh thanks for the advice guys
Ive actually been doing this for a couple weeks now and have noticed my abs are getting bigger

Ive been losing some weight over the summer and im just trying to figure out why and make it continue
X
on a side note...would bike riding be as effective as jogging. to be honest,t here arnt that many interesting places to go jogging near where i live....so if i could cover more gorund like that it would be great.
if you cant get outside, try doing 200 of these every night http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

if you do them at a moderate to fast pace you'll be downright dead afterward (I usually make it up to 15 to 20 minutes or so...about 150ish)

you need cardio for weight loss

Quote by slann101
on a side note...would bike riding be as effective as jogging. to be honest,t here arnt that many interesting places to go jogging near where i live....so if i could cover more gorund like that it would be great.

biking is fine too

though its a very efficient form of moving around
i like going places but jogging for 30 minutes does a whole ton more to me than 30 minutes on my bike
Quote by seljer

biking is fine too

though its a very efficient form of moving around
i like going places but jogging for 30 minutes does a whole ton more to me than 30 minutes on my bike

alright kl. what do you reckon is the equivilent?
Quote by slann101
alright kl. what do you reckon is the equivilent?

taking this from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance#Energy_efficiency
# 1.62 kJ/(km∙kg) or 0.28 kcal/(mile∙lb) for cycling,
# 3.78 kJ/(km∙kg) or 0.653 kcal/(mile∙lb) for walking/running,

so generally, do about 3x the distance and you'll supposedly be on the same (but you're probably doing 3x the speed of jogging too so... physics is wierd)
I usually just go bust my ass on climbs
Quote by seljer
taking this from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance#Energy_efficiency
# 1.62 kJ/(km∙kg) or 0.28 kcal/(mile∙lb) for cycling,
# 3.78 kJ/(km∙kg) or 0.653 kcal/(mile∙lb) for walking/running,

so generally, do about 3x the distance and you'll supposedly be on the same (but you're probably doing 3x the speed of jogging too so... physics is wierd)
I usually just go bust my ass on climbs

cheers mon, that made sense...sort of.

i think ill just follow your last bit of advice - bust my chops on the hills.