so as one of the main muso's around town, im pretty well known.

and i have sorta high morals, regarding drugs, crimes, fighting.

and so there are some people that are annoyed by me cause i dont like them since i dont really wanna be friends with thoose types of people.

well anyway, today we were recording and thinking of issues we could bring up, and my singer (it seemed he was just trying to find something to say, at the time tho) said:

"once or twice when i;v mentioned Mad As A Hatter to people they go "oh, thats kwintons band i know him" and i was thinking we should try to keep our reputation good"

well, i know its probably a little stuck up, or cocky, or what ever to do what i do. but i like being friends with people near straight edge, and people who are nice.

should i be a FAKE and ACT nice to everyone, just so that the band will have good rep with everyone?

alot of people will notice that i have changed, and alot of people really like the way i dont just follow the croud and do whatever drug is popular, and encourage fights and stuff.

thanks.

EDIT: wow, people really got cranky at the morals thing. for one, if you check the straight edge bit, it says "near straightedge" not completely. only a few of my friends are complete straight edge, and i am definately not, as i eat meat.

you all seem to think im just deeming any smoker as someone i dont want to be friends with. that isnt the case. i'll explain some of the people a bit better.

i wear skinnies, and have long hair. so of course there are gonna be alot of gangtas and chavs that dont get along with me.

#1, william: reason i dont like him is because he always trys to fight my friends and i. that is the main reason. the other reasons i dont want to be friends with him is the moral sorta stuff you are all ripping me to shreds over. he goes to the beach parties every night, takes eccy then fights people, takes their money, harrasses girls and damages property. i just think its a little stupid and i dont wanna get dragged into it.

(he doesnt like the band, as i am the guitarist, and he knows i dont like how he treats everything around him.)

#2. naomi: pretty much the same character as will, only he sleeps around HEAPS and always trys to convince my girlfriend and other girls to smoke (thats when she isnt trying to fight them).

she doesnt like me, so i dont like her, thats the sorta thing.

its not like "oh kwinton, im sorry im such a bad person and take all theese drugs, wont you be my friend?"

its more like "oh, mad as a hatter? i would go to the gig, but i dont really like the guitarist kwinton because he is a different type of person to me and we dont like each other and i dont blame him"

OH, AND SINGER HAS APOLOGISED AND SHIZ, IF YOU LOOK TO MY NEXT POST. SO ALL IS GOOD.
THANKS TO THAT CHRIS GUY AS WELL. FOR BEING A FREAKIN WISE MAN.
Last edited by HethaHORRIFIC at Aug 7, 2008,
Well you don't have to go against your morals or ACT to be nice and courteous to people who differ from you in those areas. Just be nice to these people regardless of whether they drink or not? And just respectfully decline their offers to drink with them?
well you got well known being yourself right? if you change, that will make the reputation worse IMO
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well you should be nice to people. You aren't famous.
A lot of people who aren't straight edge are very nice.
Unless they screw you over, then don't be bitchy. You don't have to be fake, unless you're naturally a wanker, then well, you're on your own.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by Mattalac
Well you should be nice to people. You aren't famous.
A lot of people who aren't straight edge are very nice.
Unless they screw you over, then don't be bitchy. You don't have to be fake, unless you're naturally a wanker, then well, you're on your own.

hahaha very nicely put, if you didn't even consider being nice to people just because dont follow your exact system of beleifs then you're a ****ing asshole and you should go suck a dick. no ones ever going to like you if you look at it with the attitude "since I'm such a great guy I'll be nice to you EVEN THOUGH your this that and the other thing".

your 2 choices are to remain a complete cockjob picking who you're nice to by what will benefit your band, or just be nice to everyone regardless of how their choices in life differ to yours

take some LSD and take a long hard look at yourself
my singer just logged onto msn.

Avenged fisher-fold (n)says:
oi man, dont worry about that bull**** i said today.
being who you are has earned us more fans than not. i was just pissy. stll good for four tomorow?

so all is good.
thanks guys
Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
my singer just logged onto msn.

oi man, dont worry about that bull**** i said today.
being who you are has earned us more fans than not. i was just pissy. stll good for four tomorow?

so all is good.
thanks guys

From the information provided, you are an exceptionally judgemental person.
maybe you should swallow your pride sometimes, because some people drink, take drugs, etc because they have problems. if your not willing to help them, and ask why that is, then maybe you should have the decency to be polite when saying no.
Go learn the trombone.

You're playing a rock instrument.

Expect people to be doing things that society might have told them not to. It's kinda what rock music's all about.

Deal with it, or go get involved in something which straight edge people approve of. Try Bible camp.
You choose your friends. You don't choose the people you work with, usually. You almost never get to choose who you work FOR or who your clients are.

Be nice to everyone - that is a sign in itself of a high moral standard. Besides, you never know who will be able to help you out in some way down the road. Don't let whether you like them or not interfere with that.

Keep choosing your friends wisely - regardless of whether you're in bible camp or playing in a metal band. Make good choices as to how you act and conduct yourself with others - regardless of who they are - and the rest will follow.

CT
(sorry for sounding like someone's dad, but I am.... x3)
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Have a little professionalism instead being an arrogant dick. Not everyone is straight edge, deal with it.
You say you don't 'follow the crowd', and yet you still give youself the label of 'straight-edge', you instantly lose credibility there.
Get off your high horse and stop judging people who want to enjoy their lives while they still can.
Everyone above that tore you to shreds is right, don't be a douche.

Live and let live.
...and this thread is a perfect example of the real world. On one hand, people are tearing you to shreds for being judgmental and not accepting others for their follies, and on the same hand, these same people are not accepting you, and judging you for yours. They call you names instead.

I think my advice above was just given even more support by the most recent comments.

cT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Zycho
Have a little professionalism instead being an arrogant dick. Not everyone is straight edge, deal with it.

Your my new best friend.
Those with closed minds bring on themselves nothing but limits.
I say be nice to everyone. Being a dick to a dick makes you a bit of a dick, doesn't it?
For the sake of your musical career, you should be nice with everyone you meet. You're reputation is the single most important commodity you have when playing in bands.
Even with those who you consider to be nasty, if they are nasty with you in front of other people, hey, they're just damaging their own reputations, and their reputations will be doubly damaged if you are nothing but nice to them and they're still nasty with you.

Morally, you should be nice with everyone anyway because if you're not, then you are no better than the nasty people you criticise.

Quote by axemanchris
You choose your friends. You don't choose the people you work with, usually. You almost never get to choose who you work FOR or who your clients are.

Be nice to everyone - that is a sign in itself of a high moral standard. Besides, you never know who will be able to help you out in some way down the road. Don't let whether you like them or not interfere with that.

Keep choosing your friends wisely - regardless of whether you're in bible camp or playing in a metal band. Make good choices as to how you act and conduct yourself with others - regardless of who they are - and the rest will follow.

Agreed 100%
Quote by axemanchris

CT
(sorry for sounding like someone's dad, but I am.)

And ditto.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 6, 2008,
Only word there I would change is 'friends.' You don't have to be their 'friend' but there's no good reason not to be acquaintances on good terms.

CT

Just to add to the 'dad' advice you've got with some more 'peer' advice, I'd advise you to re-think your moral attitude towards drug use. As has been pointed out, in the guitar-music bussiness, you are likely to run into a lot of people who use drugs - even if the only drugs they use are the legal alcohol and tobacco. So you have a very, very solid practical reason not to be considering those who use drugs to be immoral.

Moving from the practical to the ethical, I think if you examine your moral objection to drug use, you will find it to be on extremely shakey ground. Ask yourself (really ask yourself - don't just dismiss this, actually think about it) what reason you have to view other people putting certain chemicals into their body as being immoral. Are they hurting people in the process of obtaining or being under the influence of such drugs? If the answer is no, where is your moral objection? What right have you to judge an act that harms no-one outside the actor as morally wrong? Certainly, you can judge it against your taste, but that relegates it to the kind of disagreement you have over whether peas are good, or Led Zep are the greatest band ever.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
It doesn't matter why he doesn't want to be friends with people who do drugs and stuff. The point is, he doesn't. He can choose his friends based on any arbitrary set of criteria he choses, which is entirely none of our business.

Refusing to be a co-worker with, client of, employee of, etc. anyone who does drugs is another matter. At that point, I agree with the above. They're out there whether anyone likes it or not. Moreso in music than most other fields, but even in other 'real world' fields too. It is how you conduct yourself - letting yourself be influenced or not, making sure you treat them nicely and with respect or not - that speaks of your own character.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
It doesn't matter why he doesn't want to be friends with people who do drugs and stuff. The point is, he doesn't. He can choose his friends based on any arbitrary set of criteria he choses, which is entirely none of our business.

None of our business apart from the fact that he wrote about it on a public internet forum. He has a moral objection to something and I find that that objection extremely tenuous. If he would rethink this not only would he have (in my opinion) a better set of moral standards, but he would also benefit in the sense that he would not have to try so hard to be nice to people who use drugs - in fact, he wouldn't have to try at all, because he'd have no problem with them.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

But he didn't ask to be judged himself based on what criteria he uses to pick his friends, which is what everyone seems to be doing. He asked what we thought of him maintaining his perceived moral high ground. Why he has the 'moral high ground' isn't the point.

It's not a thread about drugs, though you're trying to make it one. It's a thread about how selective he should be about the people he deals with, given that the end result could put him in a self-imposed moral conflict of interest. Change 'drugs' to 'parking their cars illegally' if you want - the question is still the same.

CT

hey, i edited the original post. here is it for those of you who skipped straight to the las page...

EDIT: wow, people really got cranky at the morals thing. for one, if you check the straight edge bit, it says "near straightedge" not completely. only a few of my friends are complete straight edge, and i am definately not, as i eat meat.

you all seem to think im just deeming any smoker as someone i dont want to be friends with. that isnt the case. i'll explain some of the people a bit better.

i wear skinnies, and have long hair. so of course there are gonna be alot of gangtas and chavs that dont get along with me.

#1, william: reason i dont like him is because he always trys to fight my friends and i. that is the main reason. the other reasons i dont want to be friends with him is the moral sorta stuff you are all ripping me to shreds over. he goes to the beach parties every night, takes eccy then fights people, takes their money, harrasses girls and damages property. i just think its a little stupid and i dont wanna get dragged into it.

(he doesnt like the band, as i am the guitarist, and he knows i dont like how he treats everything around him.)

#2. naomi: pretty much the same character as will, only he sleeps around HEAPS and always trys to convince my girlfriend and other girls to smoke (thats when she isnt trying to fight them).

she doesnt like me, so i dont like her, thats the sorta thing.

its not like "oh kwinton, im sorry im such a bad person and take all theese drugs, wont you be my friend?"

its more like "oh, mad as a hatter? i would go to the gig, but i dont really like the guitarist kwinton because he is a different type of person to me and we dont like each other and i dont blame him"

OH, AND SINGER HAS APOLOGISED AND SHIZ, IF YOU LOOK TO MY NEXT POST. SO ALL IS GOOD.
THANKS TO THAT CHRIS GUY AS WELL. FOR BEING A FREAKIN WISE MAN.
Be whoever you actually are, **** acting a way because people want you to. If your nice, be nice, if your an ass, be an ass.
Those with closed minds bring on themselves nothing but limits.
Quote by axemanchris
But he didn't ask to be judged himself based on what criteria he uses to pick his friends, which is what everyone seems to be doing. He asked what we thought of him maintaining his perceived moral high ground. Why he has the 'moral high ground' isn't the point.

It's not a thread about drugs, though you're trying to make it one. It's a thread about how selective he should be about the people he deals with, given that the end result could put him in a self-imposed moral conflict of interest. Change 'drugs' to 'parking their cars illegally' if you want - the question is still the same.

CT

Your advice is essentially:
"ignore how you feel morally about the things these people do and be nice to them anyway"

Whereas my advice is essetially:
"examine your moral convictions and perhaps you'll find them to be ill-founded, in which case you won't need to lie, be fake or ignore anything."

I obviously believe my advice is the better way to go, or I wouldn't have given him it. It so happens that with my advice the guy has to accept that drug use by itself is not immoral, so I gave him a paragraph to that effect.

Quote by HethaHORRIFIC

...and now I don't know what to think.
Quote by Ed O'Brien

@damascus - okay... fair enough.

CT

Quote by HethaHORRIFIC

No, they don't get along with you because you act like a dick.

I'm a full on metalhead, I always wear black and I have a huge fricken beard that I sometimes dye various colours but I've got several good friends that are in to hip hop and gangsta rap.

Your image has no bearing on whether people will get along with you, it's your personality. If you want people to like you you respect their opinion no matter what it is instead of just trying to surround yourself with people that are similar to you and assuming anyone that isn't like you won't like you.
:P i say - snort something funny, jump into the crowd, and bang your head out.. You'll dig it, i swear.

But no mix-medications - it
s baaaad :P Meh.. Anyway.. I think you should be who you are, even though i must admit you sound overly judgemental.. Then again, same goes for me xD Meh, i don't really thinks it matters. Theres some people i don't like, and i can still admit and respect that they are good musicians, and if i, myself, enjoy the music, i'd very much support a great band, no matter whos in it..

Anyway.. Read that "Takes ecstaesy and fights people" - ugh, i know the type.. Anyway. Maybe you should try inviting them to a gig or something, just for the fun of it, since it might make you some new friends, and a few madmen sure does something to a crowd.

And honestly.. Many of these people who takes drugs and go pick fights, actually happen to be.. well.. quite stupid xP Soeh.. Honestly, mate.. Do what i do, i manipulate the **** out of them, and in the end you'll have a bunch of stupid henchmen on drugs, instead of a bunch of people you're kind of nervous about.

Anyway. I hope it works out for the better.. And.. Drugs ain't always bad. Weak persons(Who cannot control them), and addiction is bad. Y'gotta live rock'n'roll, aye?

Hil
There are plenty of people out there who believe that trying to restrict and control what people are allowed to do with their own bodies is unmoral. What makes your morals any more right than theirs?
And you are now trying to restrict and control what he does with his mind.... which, in my opinion, is even less moral.

CT

Quote by HethaHORRIFIC
if you check the straight edge bit, it says "near straightedge" not completely. only a few of my friends are complete straight edge, and i am definately not, as i eat meat.

You can eat meat and still be straight edge. Vegetarianism and veganism are not considered aspects of straight edge. Just pointing that out.
In today's global economy, it is pretty near impossible to be totally straight edge anyways. Sure, just because you don't buy Nike or whatever doesn't mean that the ma and pa store who hand-tailors your clothes for you doesn't buy thread shipped on spools that were made in Malaysia or something. Try buying *anything* electronic that doesn't at least have components made in China.

CT

I think you should at least give the people another chance. I highly doubt everyone you have a problem with is a William or Naomi.