Page 1 of 2
Edit: I'm done! Check page 2 (40ppp) for results.

Alright, so in a few days I will attempt to set up a quad boot consisting of Vista HP, XP MC, Ubuntu, and Leopard (Kalyway).

Some Physical Specs Before I Go On: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz, DDR2 RAM, mobo that supports SSE3. nVidia chipset, nVidia Geforce 7600GS, Hard Drive 1 (the OS installs): 298GB SATAII, Hard Drive 2 (Documents and data): 698GB SATAII.

The Goal: To set up the four OS's on four even partitions on HD1 and be able to successfully boot them using a boot manager.

What I have:
-Vista DVD, XP DVD, Kalyway DVD, Ubuntu DVD (alternative and live)
-A novice Linux savvy friend to help me set everything up. He has never tried this though.

Prior Knowledge After A Little Research:
-The general consensus on the order of installs is: 1. XP 2. Vista 3. Linux 4. Mac. But most people say the order doesn't matter as long as XP is installed first.
-There are dispute over which boot manager works best: EasyBCD, Vista Boot Manager, and GRUB.

What You Guys Can Do To Help:
-Provide me with any advice you may have
-Explain things in a fairly layman's term. (I'm completely new to the Linux terminal)
-Talk about what you would do in terms of overriding the various boot managers so that only one boot manager is active.
-Talk about installing Kalyway
-The InsanelyMac forum provided some crucial tutorials...unfortunately there were a lot of esoteric jargons and acronyms that I couldn't pick up on. Some of them go too fast. If you guys want to take a look and maybe translate some of that stuff for me...that'd be really helpful.
-Words of encouragement?

I'm doing this just for fun and as a challenge in an especially over-relaxing summer. There is no need for OS bashing and fanboyism...especially when all 3 major OS types will be included.

...and go!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 14, 2008,
woah... thats some machine you got there .... thats impressive ... quad booting.... never heard someone do tht....
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
holy fxxk
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
There are a few issues with this thread.
A) You used normal English with grade A grammar and spelling. This is the pit, wtf?
B) Most all computer questions get stupid answers here.

Anyway, to actually answer your question(s):
Order of installs doesn't matter at all. If you do it right, they shouldn't have anything to do with each other. I don't know why someone told you to do xp first , but it doesn't matter. You can partition your HDD using any of those operating systems (well, I don't know about kalyway from experience, but I'm assuming that it can if it's not total ****).

As far as bootloader: I prefer grub, but only because I have the most experience with it. It's simple and it works. Don't use vista boot manager, and I don't know about easyBCD, but why even consider it when you know GRUB works perfectly? Boot loaders should just be able to boot the proper OS, nothing more, and that's what GRUB does. If you do choose GRUB though, then install ubuntu first, select to install GRUB with it, and then decline the installation of all the other ones when you're installing the other OSes. No matter which one you use, there shouldn't be an issue with one overwriting the other. Just select "no" for all the others; you get prompted for this sort of stuff.

Installing XP and Vista shouldn't be an issue for you, so just do those whenever you want. For linux, it's actually very similar. Ubuntu is n00b linux (I'm not bashing, just saying), so it should be as easy as windows for you. It comes up with nice prompts that ask you basic questions in non-jargon terms. You can handle that.

Some things to consider though:
Make your linux partition ext3, and your windows partitions ntfs. If you're going to make a swap partition make sure you create it AFTER you create your main linux partition (I've had some problems when making the swap first). Also, install whatever bootloader you use to the MBR to avoid issues.

To be honest with you, I've never had the interest in installing kalyway or anything similar. I imagine it's not more complicated than installing linux or windows. Whatever OS you install first can make all the partitions in case kalyway doesn't have a nice partition making option (I know nothing about its install process). If I were you, I would just google for some screenshots of the kalyway install, everything else should be piss easy.

If you get everything working, get FreeBSD on there too. =)

Good luck,
-Greatness
Last edited by MaidenToTheMax at Aug 5, 2008,
Xiaoxi...

you are a god if you can get that running.

my brother got XP, Vista and Leopard running in different spaces off his macbook....

but that pales in comparison to your feat. (if it works :P)
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
Quote by MaidenToTheMax

Order of installs doesn't matter at all. If you do it right, they shouldn't have anything to do with each other. I don't know why someone told you to do xp first , but it doesn't matter. You can partition your HDD using any of those operating systems (well, I don't know about kalyway from experience, but I'm assuming that it can if it's not total ****).
Well, actually, I know from personal experience that XP is a stubborn bitch when it comes to loading. It only knows itself. Right now, I'm running a dual boot between XP and Vista. I had to find out the VERY hard way that XP has to be the first OS installed. So I will probably just stick to that idea at least.

As far as bootloader: I prefer grub, but only because I have the most experience with it. It's simple and it works. Don't use vista boot manager, and I don't know about easyBCD, but why even consider it when you know GRUB works perfectly? Boot loaders should just be able to boot the proper OS, nothing more, and that's what GRUB does. If you do choose GRUB though, then install ubuntu first, select to install GRUB with it, and then decline the installation of all the other ones when you're installing the other OSes. No matter which one you use, there shouldn't be an issue with one overwriting the other. Just select "no" for all the others; you get prompted for this sort of stuff.
Well, this thread has a little disagreement over the best way to boot:
http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t92858.html

I don't really understand what they're saying though. But thanks for that information anyways. However, I don't recall Vista giving me an option of whether to install its boot loader or not.

Some things to consider though:
Make your linux partition ext3, and your windows partitions ntfs. If you're going to make a swap partition make sure you create it AFTER you create your main linux partition (I've had some problems when making the swap first). Also, install whatever bootloader you use to the MBR to avoid issues.
Will the Linux boot DVD have the tools to format the Linux partition as ext3? Also, what's the HDD format for Mac?

I would just google for some screenshots of the kalyway install, everything else should be piss easy.
There are quite a number of tutorials on installing Kalyway. However, the scenario is usually singular or dual boot at most.

Thanks a lot of your help.

Quote by donkey the wise
Xiaoxi...

my brother got XP, Vista and Leopard running in different spaces off his macbook....

Haha, thanks. Yea...setting up the whole ordeal on a PC is much harder. But apparently, some people have done it...although they didn't seem to just walk through the park.

Anyways, I'm gonna go sleep and I'll check back tomorrow. Please keep the replies coming!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 5, 2008,
What are you sniffing???

*Puts quad boot OS computer on to make in future list*
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, actually, I know from personal experience that XP is a stubborn bitch when it comes to loading. It only knows itself. Right now, I'm running a dual boot between XP and Vista. I had to find out the VERY hard way that XP has to be the first OS installed. So I will probably just stick to that idea at least.

That's fine. I find it strange that people are having issues with that. I've installed linux/freebsd/windows OSs countless times in any number of orders without issues most of the time. Any issues I did have were entirely unrelated to the order of install. I can't imagine you having problems. The process is simple. Say you're installing ubuntu... you make an ext3 partition, maybe a swap partition, and a partition for the other 3 OSs. Then when it comes time for xp, you select one of the empty partitions when prompted where to install. What issue could there be? Selecting the empty partition? I'd think not, that has nothing to do with any of the other operating systems.

Well, this thread has a little disagreement over the best way to boot:
http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t92858.html

I don't really understand what they're saying though. But thanks for that information anyways. However, I don't recall Vista giving me an option of whether to install its boot loader or not.

actually, I probably should have elaborated on that point. You're right, vista is a crap-cake operating system and just overwrites grub (forgot that it does that, been a while since I dabbled with vista), but that's not a problem. Once everything is installed, you can easily install grub over vista boot manager. No one said you HAD TO do it during install of an operating system. You can of course keep vista boot manager if you want, but reinstalling grub takes very little time and effort.
Also, I didn't really feel like reading through that whole link you pasted, but from what I gather, they're just trying to make it all as painless/effortless as possible by designating a certain order. Doing it any other way wouldn't really matter.

Basically, you can follow that other thread if you want and get a certain order down, but what I'm trying to get across here is that you shouldn't think of it as like a step by step process for all 4 operating systems. They're independent of each other, for the most part, so you can do whatever you want with them. You control them, they don't control you. So yeah, if vista screws up your boot loader, screw it back.

Will the Linux boot DVD have the tools to format the Linux partition as ext3? Also, what's the HDD format for Mac?

Yes, linux has that. When you're making the partitions, no matter with what (whether a 3rd party app like partition magic or one of the partition making options during any of the OS installs), you can divide up the partitions however you want and make them ext3/ntfs/whatever.

By the way, the mac partition type is HFS or HFS+ (your choice), if I remember right. My lack of mac usage has made me rusty on what BS file systems it uses.

There are quite a number of tutorials on installing Kalyway. However, the scenario is usually singular or dual boot at most.

shouldn't be too different with more. You're just installing it to an empty partition either way.

Thanks a lot of your help.

No problem man, just let me know if I can clarify anything. It's like 4:40 AM here now, so I'm heading off to bed. PM me if this thread gets buried too deep in the pit and you still need help.

-Greatness
Holy Sh*t!

QUAD booting? Wow. Hope it goes well. I personally dual boot, but I mostly use Ubuntu. I only use windows for composing with sibelius, halo and Audacity.

Ubuntu is fairly easy to set up, however, make sure you have a cable to connect to the internet at first. This helped me a lot.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Everyone is trying a comeback now. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage, and now bin Laden? Come on. Give it a rest..

haha
Quote by MaidenToTheMax
you make an ext3 partition, maybe a swap partition
What's a swap partition?

actually, I probably should have elaborated on that point. You're right, vista is a crap-cake operating system and just overwrites grub (forgot that it does that, been a while since I dabbled with vista), but that's not a problem. Once everything is installed, you can easily install grub over vista boot manager. No one said you HAD TO do it during install of an operating system. You can of course keep vista boot manager if you want, but reinstalling grub takes very little time and effort.
Also, I didn't really feel like reading through that whole link you pasted, but from what I gather, they're just trying to make it all as painless/effortless as possible by designating a certain order. Doing it any other way wouldn't really matter.
They were also discussing which boot loader works best. My concern is which boot loader will initially take over everything? You said I can install GRUB later what if there is no proper boot screen to get into any of the OS's because I didn't set a dominant one up?

Thanks.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
What's a swap partition?

In simple terms, it's using harddrive space as virtual memory, and it's not necessary at all. I know a lot of people like to do it just in case. Could be something fun to fiddle around with if you'd like. I could give you a long explanation of swap partitions, but I probably can't do it as well as these people have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging

Read up if you're interested, but I've told you the main gist of it.

They were also discussing which boot loader works best. My concern is which boot loader will initially take over everything? You said I can install GRUB later what if there is no proper boot screen to get into any of the OS's because I didn't set a dominant one up?

Thanks.

unless Kalyway is like vista, the only bootloader that will overwrite another without prompts is vista's. It doesn't matter though, it still works. I don't think you'll get to a point where none of them will load, because even if one overwrites another for main control, the bootloaders will still work. For instance, you could have grub be showing "ubuntu" and "windows OS" and then when you select windows, vistas boot loader could be showing "XP" and "Vista". If that happens, then you can install grub over everything. I've never really come to a situation where several were installed over each other and none of them worked. In fact, usually all of them work.

If, by some crazy off chance miracle you are unable to boot anything, your computer isn't lost or anything. For worst case scenario, you just use a Ubuntu LiveCD (OS that runs off the cd, no install necessary) to access whatever partition and reinstall whatever bootloader you want. no big deal.

Also, while on the subject of livecd: What are you using to install ubuntu? The livecd has an install feature, and there are also alternate cds you can get that just install it. I recommend you go with the non-livecd install because that's the one that'll give you choices of installing grub in the mbr, root partition, or not at all. The livecd just installs it to mbr without asking. I was assuming you'd not be using the livecd, but I might as well check while we're on the subject.

-Greatness
Last edited by MaidenToTheMax at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by AiC
woah... thats some machine you got there .... thats impressive ... quad booting.... never heard someone do tht....

Not to be a ****ing ass or anything but my PC dwarfs that PC, hardware wise. (And then some peoples PC's would dwarf mine, but those are really enthusiasts only at the moment).

Quad booting sounds cool though, good luck with that!
Quote by MaidenToTheMax
In simple terms, it's using harddrive space as virtual memory, and it's not necessary at all. I know a lot of people like to do it just in case. Could be something fun to fiddle around with if you'd like. I could give you a long explanation of swap partitions, but I probably can't do it as well as these people have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paging
Read up if you're interested, but I've told you the main gist of it.

Thanks. But I don't think that's really necessary for my PC, so I'll leave that for another time.
unless Kalyway is like vista, the only bootloader that will overwrite another without prompts is vista's. It doesn't matter though, it still works. I don't think you'll get to a point where none of them will load, because even if one overwrites another for main control, the bootloaders will still work. For instance, you could have grub be showing "ubuntu" and "windows OS" and then when you select windows, vistas boot loader could be showing "XP" and "Vista". If that happens, then you can install grub over everything. I've never really come to a situation where several were installed over each other and none of them worked. In fact, usually all of them work.
So you're saying that they'll come up simultaneously? I can't imagine how that works...
Also, while on the subject of livecd: What are you using to install ubuntu? The livecd has an install feature, and there are also alternate cds you can get that just install it. I recommend you go with the non-livecd install because that's the one that'll give you choices of installing grub in the mbr, root partition, or not at all. The livecd just installs it to mbr without asking. I was assuming you'd not be using the livecd, but I might as well check while we're on the subject.

Yea, the people in that Mac forum suggested using the Alt install as well, so I guess I'll use that.
Quote by Jackolas
Not to be a ****ing ass or anything but my PC dwarfs that PC, hardware wise.

Yeah? Well......my penis dwarfs your penis!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Jackolas
Not to be a ****ing ass or anything but my PC dwarfs that PC, hardware wise. (And then some peoples PC's would dwarf mine, but those are really enthusiasts only at the moment).

What are your specs?
Quote by Jackolas

Same here.

AMD 6000+ dual core (3.0GHz)
2GB ddr2 RAM
500GB SATAII drive
250GBSATAII drive
Nvidia 8600GS 1GB

Anyway, I would love to set up Leopard and XP on this..never seen someone get OS X running on a non-mac..I used to dual boot ubuntu, but eventually realised I had no use for ubuntu.
Quote by CLVPX

Anyway, I would love to set up Leopard and XP on this..never seen someone get OS X running on a non-mac.

http://tgrounds.blogspot.com/2008/03/osx-leopard-1051-on-pc.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5epvBpiUw

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You should grab Mac OSX86 and Pent-boot that bitch.

edit:
Quote by CLVPX
Anyway, I would love to set up Leopard and XP on this..never seen someone get OS X running on a non-mac..I used to dual boot ubuntu, but eventually realised I had no use for ubuntu.

Its very doable. Not quite legal, but doable.
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
Quote by thrashmetal101
You should grab Mac OSX86 and Pent-boot that bitch.

Well I mean...if I already have one version of OSX running, why would I install another one?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You do realise that you can only have 4 primary partitions. Linux requires 2, one for the os and one as a swap partition. That means 5 primary partitions which you cannot do. However, You could do this...

1st primary> XP
2nd primary> Vista
3rd primary> osX
4th..Well this is where it gets tricky. You need to set up an extended partition, then within that partition set up 2 partitions, one of 2 gb-ish and the other to take up the rest of the space. Use the 2gb for linux's swap and the other for the OS.

You will need to boot up a linux livecd before anything, create the partitions as above. Then install in the order I said.

As for a boot manager, I only ever managed to get osX booting via osselector.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/multibooting.html

However, it's shareware, so you will need to acquire this from *somewhere*.

Install this from within vista, and you should be perfect.
Quote by donkey the wise
Xiaoxi...

Yeah actually thats really easy since you just need an application called boot Camp
Quote by dandadog
You do realise that you can only have 4 primary partitions. Linux requires 2, one for the os and one as a swap partition. That means 5 primary partitions which you cannot do. However, You could do this...

1st primary> XP
2nd primary> Vista
3rd primary> osX
4th..Well this is where it gets tricky. You need to set up an extended partition, then within that partition set up 2 partitions, one of 2 gb-ish and the other to take up the rest of the space. Use the 2gb for linux's swap and the other for the OS.
Really? From all the stuff I checked out, no one ever mentioned requiring 2 partitions for Linux...
You will need to boot up a linux livecd before anything, create the partitions as above. Then install in the order I said.
Does Linux have the tools to format all the different types of partitions? For example, OSX has its own type, Windows has NTFS, Linux has Ext3... Can the Linux boot CD do all that?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Really? From all the stuff I checked out, no one ever mentioned requiring 2 partitions for Linux...
Does Linux have the tools to format all the different types of partitions? For example, OSX has its own type, Windows has NTFS, Linux has Ext3... Can the Linux boot CD do all that?

I had 98se, xp, vista, osx and ubuntu running last year. had osx and ubuntu in an extended partition.

You do need 2 partitions, one is the swap which you get asked to set up during installation. You obviously didn't research very hard. Linux does yes, Well mostly. It has Gparted, here is how to set it up.

partition 1-primary-ntfs
partition 2-primary-ntfs
partition 3-primary-hfs, however, when you boot the osx86 cd it will need to be formatted into hfs+. gparted cannot do this properly.
partition 4-extended-create 2 partitions but leave them unformatted. So you can do that during the ubuntu installation.
Quote by dandadog
I had 98se, xp, vista, osx and ubuntu running last year. had osx and ubuntu in an extended partition.

You do need 2 partitions, one is the swap which you get asked to set up during installation. You obviously didn't research very hard. Linux does yes, Well mostly. It has Gparted, here is how to set it up.

partition 1-primary-ntfs
partition 2-primary-ntfs
partition 3-primary-hfs, however, when you boot the osx86 cd it will need to be formatted into hfs+. gparted cannot do this properly.
partition 4-extended-create 2 partitions but leave them unformatted. So you can do that during the ubuntu installation.

How do you create an extended partition?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
How do you create an extended partition?

Open up Gparted, after you have created the 3 primary and are left with unallocated, click that and click new partition and it'll have an option for extended.

Been along time since I've used linux but it's easy to work out when you've booted the livecd.

Have you heard of Wubi? You can install ubuntu from xp/vista onto the same partition, and be able to uninstall it from the add/remove programs section. Alot easier, but I'm unsure whether osselector will recognise this. So it would probably be better to not use wubi, but it was just a thought.
I'm too lazy to read all of the posts at this moment, but I can tell you that for the longest time, I had a quad-boot running on my laptop for the longest time. (200GB HD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.7GHz)

Operating Systems (in order of installation and partition layout):
Vista Home Premium (90GB)
XP Professional (60GB)
Ubuntu Linux (30GB) ~ no swap partition
OS X 10.4.9 (uphuck vl.3) (20GB)

I had to use the BCD as my main bootloader because my only Vista install disc was a restore disc given by the OEM, so it would wipe the MBR and first partition on the HD.

Oh ya, I used GParted (not the one in the ubuntu live cd) to format everthing except for the OS X partition

- Anyways, so I installed Vista first, BCD on MBR right now
- Then I installed XP, NTLDR overwrote the MBR so I used (borrowed from friend) an original Vista disc to restore/fix the BCD
- I then booted into Vista, installed EasyBCD, added an entry for Windows XP, and it worked
- I then used the Ubuntu 8.04 alternate CD to install it
- When prompted where to install GRUB, I chose (hd0,2) - 3rd partion of my HD
- My plan was to install GRUB to the boot sector of the ext3 partition and chainload GRUB using EasyBCD
- I then set my 4th partion as the boot partition and booted into the OS X installer (make sure you do this as there is no way (that I know of) to specify in the OS X installer to either install Darwin to the MBR or to the bootsector of the HFS+ partition!)
- I installed OS X and all the drivers needed
- Now re-activate your 1st primary partition and make it the boot partition
- Boot back into Vista
- Copy chain0 from your Mac disc to C:\
- Open EasyBCD and add an entry for your Mac partition
- Reboot and you should have 4 working entries
- When you choose Ubuntu - you get GRUB and then boots into Linux
- When you choose Mac you get the Darwin bootloader and then boots into OS X (leapard in your case)

Now I removed my OS X partition because there were no working drivers for my Broadcom ethernet driver and drivers for my Intel 3945 wireless card are still in developement.

And I had to use EasyBCD to chainload all of the other bootloaders, but if I were you, I would choose GRUB.
Last edited by acersucks at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by dandadog
Open up Gparted, after you have created the 3 primary and are left with unallocated, click that and click new partition and it'll have an option for extended.

Been along time since I've used linux but it's easy to work out when you've booted the livecd.
Ah, cool. Well, I'm taking your advice into consideration and downloading the GParted Live CD right now.

Have you heard of Wubi? You can install ubuntu from xp/vista onto the same partition, and be able to uninstall it from the add/remove programs section. Alot easier, but I'm unsure whether osselector will recognise this. So it would probably be better to not use wubi, but it was just a thought.

That's cool, but not what I'm looking for. Thanks anyway.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by acersucks
I'm too lazy to read all of the posts at this moment, but I can tell you that for the longest time, I had a quad-boot running on my laptop for the longest time. (200GB HD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.7GHz)

XP Professional (60GB)

I had to use the BCD as my main bootloader because my only Vista install disc was a restore disc given by the OEM, so it would wipe the MBR and first partition on the HD.

Oh ya, I used GParted (not the one in the ubuntu live cd) to format everthing except for the OS X partition

- Anyways, so I installed Vista first, EasyBCD on MBR right now
- Then I installed XP, NTLDR overwrote the MBR so I used (borrowed from friend) an original Vista disc to restore/fix the BCD
- I then booted into Vista, installed EasyBCD, added an entry for Windows XP, and it worked
- My plan was to install GRUB to the boot sector of the ext3 partition and chainload GRUB using EasyBCD
- I then set my 4th partion as the boot partition and booted into the OS X installer (make sure you do this as there is no way (that I know of) to specify in the OS X installer to either install Darwin to the MBR or to the bootsector of the HFS+ partition!)
- Boot back into Vista
- When you choose Mac you get the Darwin bootloader and then boots into OS X (leapard in your case)

Now I removed my OS X partition because there were no working drivers for my Broadcom ethernet driver and drivers for my Intel 3945 wireless card are still in developement.

And I had to use EasyBCD to chainload all of the other bootloaders, but if I were you, I would choose GRUB.

Mine's a little simpler I think. OSselector allows you to boot anything without all the chain0 nonsense.

EDIT

Gparted is built into ubuntu live cd! Don't need a seperate one.
Quote by MustangMan311
Just use GRUB.

Grub dominates your mbr and when you delete your linux partition your left with a grub error. At least with anything else you can safely remove linux without losing your other operating systems.
I wouldn't trust the GParted in any of the Ubuntu Live CDs versions 7.04-8.04 (haven't tried the ones before). Everytime I've used them they've crashed half way during the partitioning. Just download the GParted iso from sourceforge (50MB) just to be sure.

Quote by dandadog
Grub dominates your mbr and when you delete your linux partition your left with a grub error. At least with anything else you can safely remove linux without losing your other operating systems.

This was actually my second reason for using the BCD bootloader, as I knew nothing about Linux when I did this. I had installed Ubuntu Studio once, deleted the partition and kept getting a GRUB error, had to reinstall Windows. Had I known at the time, all I had to do was activate and select my first primary partition as the boot partition and repair the BCD with the vista disc.
Last edited by acersucks at Aug 5, 2008,
why do you want to do this? i have a quadcore machine with xp64 and leopord on it and it doesnt work too well
Quote by acersucks

XP Professional (60GB)

- Anyways, so I installed Vista first, EasyBCD on MBR right now
- Boot back into Vista

Crazy. But thanks. I think it should be a little easier now with Kalyway because they're equipped with the necessary drivers.

Quote by Phazer
why do you want to do this? i have a quadcore machine with xp64 and leopord on it and it doesnt work too well

I already stated my reason. Also, what Leopard distro did you use?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Crazy. But thanks. I think it should be a little easier now with Kalyway because they're equipped with the necessary drivers.

Trust me, I've done my research and they still haven't gotten the drivers right for my setup - don't get me wrong, graphics card, audio card and everything else worked fine but without a working internet, you pretty much have a crippled system - unless you want to boot into Ubuntu, download something and copy it to the Mac partition.

Also, Xiaoxi, what tracker did you use to download the Kalway image? I can't seem to find it anywhere. (that's if you did use a torrent)
Quote by acersucks
I wouldn't trust the GParted in any of the Ubuntu Live CDs versions 7.04-8.04 (haven't tried the ones before). Everytime I've used them they've crashed half way during the partitioning. Just download the GParted iso from sourceforge (50MB) just to be sure.

This was actually my second reason for using the BCD bootloader, as I knew nothing about Linux when I did this. I had installed Ubuntu Studio once, deleted the partition and kept getting a GRUB error, had to reinstall Windows. Had I known at the time, all I had to do was activate and select my first primary partition as the boot partition and repair the BCD with the vista disc.

I swear by them, they appear to crash halfway through because it forgets to update the progress, if you left it at the "crashed" stage it always recovers itself. Never had any issues.

When your stuck at a grub error, setting a partition to boot can be difficult unless you have a 3rd party boot cd to use, something like a DOS cd would do the trick though.
Quote by dandadog
I swear by them, they appear to crash halfway through because it forgets to update the progress, if you left it at the "crashed" stage it always recovers itself. Never had any issues.

When your stuck at a grub error, setting a partition to boot can be difficult unless you have a 3rd party boot cd to use, something like a DOS cd would do the trick though.

I used a native GParted boot disc. And it also boots up faster, I hated having to wait for Ubuntu to load up before I could use GParted.
Quote by acersucks
Trust me, I've done my research and they still haven't gotten the drivers right for my setup - don't get me wrong, graphics card, audio card and everything else worked fine but without a working internet, you pretty much have a crippled system - unless you want to boot into Ubuntu, download something and copy it to the Mac partition.

Also, Xiaoxi, what tracker did you use to download the Kalway image? I can't seem to find it anywhere. (that's if you did use a torrent)

Demonoid has Kalyway files.

Also, what's your computer specs? Especially your mobo, chipset, and network adapter.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Also, what's your computer specs? Especially your mobo, chipset, and network adapter.

Lemme check Demonoid - I'll post specs in a bit.
Edit: what did you put for category? I tried searching "kalway" in "All" and got nothing.
Quote by Xiaoxi

There wasn't drivers for any of my hardware when I had osx, that's why I ditched the whole thing and installed XP on it's own. I never used the others much anyway, I only wanted to say I had and could do it.

Hope I've helped tonight.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I already stated my reason. Also, what Leopard distro did you use?

god knows my girlfriend is an IT engineer and needed it for her work.

BTW off topic anyone used PC inspector ? its a german site with loads of amazing stuff..you can double your hard drive space with it and its great for loads of other applications.
Quote by dandadog
There wasn't drivers for any of my hardware when I had osx, that's why I ditched the whole thing and installed XP on it's own. I never used the others much anyway, I only wanted to say I had and could do it.

Hope I've helped tonight.

Haha, I'm probably going to end up using just one of them most of the time too.

And thanks.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Page 1 of 2