Hi
My dad is looking to buy a new Golf.
These are the 2 models in question.
Now, what I don't get, is how come the 1.4 TSI has a better performance AND fuel consumption, yet it costs LESS than the 2.0 FSI?
My old man is skeptical about this, and that makes him want to buy the 2.0 FSI, with no concrete reason (except for the fact that it's price is higher).
Can anyone give me an explanation?
Thanks a lot!
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay
It's our little online utopia where we smoke with folks from the far corners of the world and say things like "I'm high, heheehehe."

Quote by Ed Hunter

Thoughts about new naked airport scanner?

^
Quote by nightraven
brb applying for job at airport

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
Hi
My dad is looking to buy a new Golf.
These are the 2 models in question.
Now, what I don't get, is how come the 1.4 TSI has a better performance AND fuel consumption, yet it costs LESS than the 2.0 FSI?
My old man is skeptical about this, and that makes him want to buy the 2.0 FSI, with no concrete reason (except for the fact that it's price is higher).
Can anyone give me an explanation?
Thanks a lot!

Dunno bout TSI and FSI.
But the 1.4 litre is a much smaller engine than the 2.0litre.
The 1.4 is gonna give better fuel consumption.
But the 2.0 is more powerful. But will use more fuel than the 1.4
And its usually the more powerful the car, the more expensive it is.
And then its also the trim level.
The 1.4TSI probably has a lower trim level with fewer stuff as standard so its cheaper.
While the 2.0 probably has a higher trim level with more stuff as standard n more options to chose from.

All those things count in towards the cost of the car.
And in general Diesel cars are usually more expensive than Petrol cars of the same engine size/model. But Diesel cars also use less fuel.
Quote by DeanRazorback
what the hell last time i check we went outside to the golf coarse to play golf

Your vocabulary and spelling are somewhat coarse.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by af_the_fragile
Dunno bout TSI and FSI.
But the 1.4 litre is a much smaller engine than the 2.0litre.
The 1.4 is gonna give better fuel consumption.
But the 2.0 is more powerful. But will use more fuel than the 1.4
And its usually the more powerful the car, the more expensive it is.
And then its also the trim level.
The 1.4TSI probably has a lower trim level with fewer stuff as standard so its cheaper.
While the 2.0 probably has a higher trim level with more stuff as standard n more options to chose from.

I'm talking baseline trim levels (they are the same here).
Yes, the FSI has 10hp more, but the TSI still has a better performance, so who cares about power when performance is better?
The TSI's advantages are far more than the FSI's (only advantage: 10hp, which in this case are not a performance advantage), so how come it would cost less??
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay
It's our little online utopia where we smoke with folks from the far corners of the world and say things like "I'm high, heheehehe."

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
I'm talking baseline trim levels (they are the same here).
Yes, the FSI has 10hp more, but the TSI still has a better performance, so who cares about power when performance is better?
The TSI's advantages are far more than the FSI's (only advantage: 10hp, which in this case are not a performance advantage), so how come it would cost less??

The FSI is a diesel engine i presume then.
And i'm pretty sure there's gonna be some major difference in the trim levels. Like just an addition of leather seats can cost upto €2000 extra. And there are little things like automatic headlamps, windscreen wipers, parking sensors, all those things cost a fair bit more.

And that extra 10hp will make a slightly significant difference to the car. But you won't notice it much on everyday driving.
So if you don't need all those extras you get in the FSI model, you can just go for the 1.4l model. It has got a smaller engine which means it'll use less fuel and it'll have lower insurance.
Quote by af_the_fragile
The FSI is a diesel engine i presume then.
And i'm pretty sure there's gonna be some major difference in the trim levels. Like just an addition of leather seats can cost upto €2000 extra. And there are little things like automatic headlamps, windscreen wipers, parking sensors, all those things cost a fair bit more.

And that extra 10hp will make a slightly significant difference to the car. But you won't notice it much on everyday driving.
So if you don't need all those extras you get in the FSI model, you can just go for the 1.4l model. It has got a smaller engine which means it'll use less fuel and it'll have lower insurance.

ok.
The 1.4 has a turbocharger AND a supercharger, that's why it performs BETTER than the 2 liter.
The FSI is not a diesel, it's a petrol. it just stands for the specific fuel injection system.
The trims are the same, trust me.
What difference would I feel about those 10 HPs, if the performance of the weaker engine is better?
That's why im so confused..
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
ok.
The 1.4 has a turbocharger AND a supercharger, that's why it performs BETTER than the 2 liter.
The FSI is not a diesel, it's a petrol. it just stands for the specific fuel injection system.
What difference would I feel about those 10 HPs, if the performance of the weaker engine is better?

It could also be that the 1.4 has a automatic gearbox while the 2.0 has a manual one.

And yeah, its got a better performance than a normal 1.4l engine cuz of the turbo charger n supercharger. Which is pretty insane. But its also gonna increase yer fuel consumption.

The 2.0 litre engine is gonna be more expensive cuz its a naturally aspirated bigger engine producing more power. Its gonna be more powerful overall and still give a pretty decent fuel economy.

How much is the difference between them anyway??
Quote by nutmeg_trippin'
ok.

I've got no idea about fuel economy and stuff, cbf to check but my gut tells me that with all that compression theres more chance of something breaking
Quote by af_the_fragile
It could also be that the 1.4 has a automatic gearbox while the 2.0 has a manual one.

And yeah, its got a better performance than a normal 1.4l engine cuz of the turbo charger n supercharger. Which is pretty insane. But its also gonna increase yer fuel consumption.

The 2.0 litre engine is gonna be more expensive cuz its a naturally aspirated bigger engine producing more power. Its gonna be more powerful overall and still give a pretty decent fuel economy.

How much is the difference between them anyway??

There's like a 1-second difference in 0-100 KM/H
let me add that the TSI has the DSG gearbox, much more sophisticated and expensive than the FSI's tiptronic.
I'm gonna pass by the VW shop with my dad and have a talk with the sales person, hopefully getting a answer!
thanks for helping me guys
ॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐॐ
Quote by dannyisokay

Quote by Ed Hunter

^
Quote by nightraven

With a turbo and a supercharger, prepare for through the roof insurance, and fuel consumption. And it has good chance to be stolen, people love Golfs. I completely recommend the 1.4L, most vw workers will say the opposite because it costs more, so more for their company. The only reason it's more expensive is the 2l engine, are you getting them brand new? Out of the showroom? If they're second hand the mileage will play a big factor on the price.