I've been following the U.S.A. basketball team and so far it seems pretty dominant. But I was wondering what people from other countries thought about it. Does any other part of the world care about basketball at all? Is the US team as feared (If anyone cares) as it is made out to be by US propoganda? I would assume it is because we have the best player in history (Chris Paul). Here it's like people think the gold is already ours and we just have to wait a month or so. I just wanted the opinion of some non-Americans to even it out!
I live in portugal and I don't even know how to play basketball

soccer is more popular around here
Yea i didn't even know the rules of basketball until about a year ago. I don't like it at all.
I see. I honestly can't understand the appeal of soccer because it has such a slow pace... most the scores I've seen the total points scored in the games were like 3. That's with both team scores put together. That seems to be all any other countries care about
Football (not soccer, I'm going on the tyranny of the majority on this one) is most popular here, whilst sports such as tennis, badminton, Rugby, hockey get a fair share of love, most popular of those lot being ruby and hockey.

Basketball isn't very known over here, even though I played for three years and played in one of the best school teams in the South West (we only lost one match, but those kids had been playing basketball for most of their lives and could barely speak English).

We have a national basketball league with some smaller teams who play for fun, but it's nothing solid and it's hard to get into down here.

However, most of us play basketball in our school years for PE lessons, even though it's barely proper basketball.
Quote by GerGuam
I've been following the U.S.A. basketball team and so far it seems pretty dominant. But I was wondering what people from other countries thought about it. Does any other part of the world care about basketball at all? Is the US team as feared (If anyone cares) as it is made out to be by US propoganda? I would assume it is because we have the best player in history (Chris Paul). Here it's like people think the gold is already ours and we just have to wait a month or so. I just wanted the opinion of some non-Americans to even it out!

I'm Greek and I happen to watch lots of bball. U.S.A. is a very good team it's top3 along with Greece and Spain. These 3 teams look really dominant in their frendlies and all are capable of winning the gold. I don't see a big difference between them really and their games are going to be epic.
No US team isn't feared anymore but of course it is respected as all the other good teams. American medias always exxagerate about their team but they are not proven in court. I don't know why american journalists are so propagandistic.
Anyway USA is a title contender and that's all.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
Quote by dungeon
I'm Greek and I happen to watch lots of bball. U.S.A. is a very good team it's top3 along with Greece and Spain. These 3 teams look really dominant in their frendlies and all are capable of winning the gold. I don't see a big difference between them really and their games are going to be epic.
No US team isn't feared anymore but of course it is respected as all the other good teams. American medias always exxagerate about their team but they are not proven in court. I don't know why american journalists are so propagandistic.
Anyway USA is a title contender and that's all.

I think the person who really got the media going about USA winning is Lebron James. The stupid asshole basically said "I gauruntee I will get USA a gold medal" even though he isn't the best player on the team and has no idea whether they are good enough to win. Personally I hope the USA team loses at least 1 game (even a preolympic game would work) because everyone I'm surrounded with is typical "USA #1 EVERY OTHER BASKETBALL TEAM IS A JOKE". I'm not going to be the one to remind them about the 2004 olympics

Also it's pretty funny realizing all the hype about winning gold in basketball is pretty stupid when the other countries don't give a shit.
I think they give a **** :P
I think European countries love their national teams and they want the best of them(of course the gold medal).
Of course not getting the gold and getting some other medal in the olympics is also a great matter and honor.

L. James

"We will win olympics. We have a great coach Mike Krzyzewski. Moreover, we have players who doesn't like to lose- Kobe Bryant, D. Wade, Carmelo Anthony. Now, when i'm a captain, i'll do everything to make our team unbeatable."

All the other players like to lose and they're captains do whatever it takes to lose big.

Also another thing that was said from Lebron and I absolutely hated it was that he mocked the bronze medal in Athens. I don't have the exact words right now but mocking a bronze in the OLYMPICS is something great. Some athletes train all their lives for this and get nothing and mocking the bronze medal is like mocking them.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
Currently watching a live stream of the USA v AUS game. One of the commentators said Lebron already has his gold medal tour planned.
yeah I heard sth like that too oO
Anyway 3rd quarter and USA is 4 pts up. Good defence from Usa but bad offence since they don't move the ball well.
I respect Australian team so much. They don't have much talent but they never give up and is a tough team to beat.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
You want my opinion? Ok...WHO THE **** IS CHRIS PAUL.

He wont be the best basketballer ever until he stars in a movie with aliens, which then has a series of pogs released.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick

Chris Paul is a ball hog who was the only reason Wake Forest was any good the years he was there. Now he left Wake and they suck and no ones ever heard of him.

Quote by breadstick
He wont be the best basketballer ever until he stars in a movie with aliens, which then has a series of pogs released.

MJ FTW!

Bryant may be a thug and a rapist but if he can drop 50 points in an NBA game then he is allowed to rape who ever he wants.
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome
Bryant may be a thug and a rapist but if he can drop 50 points in an NBA game then he is allowed to rape who ever he wants.

Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
Quote by darth awsome
Chris Paul is a ball hog who was the only reason Wake Forest was any good the years he was there. Now he left Wake and they suck and no ones ever heard of him.

MJ FTW!

Umm, he's pretty popular in the NBA.

And I don't buy the Kobe thing, I think people were just after his money.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by breadstick

You don't pay much attention to basketball do you?

Quote by Darth Awsome

Yes, because someone who can dish about 15 assists any day of the week is a ball hog. And no, no one's heard of him, he was only on the cover of NBA 2K8, and finished 2nd place in MVP voting.
Plymouth has a very popular local basketball team, but generally basketball isn't popular here. You never see it on the TV really, and I couldn't tell you which teams were good and which aren't.
Quote by smb
Plymouth has a very popular local basketball team, but generally basketball isn't popular here. You never see it on the TV really, and I couldn't tell you which teams were good and which aren't.

Same with ice hockey, though you can tell the bad teams (all but Guilford Flames really). They have cult followings, but the vast majority don't really care.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm American. Now that that's established, basketball sucks. It's too fast paced, it's not a very dynamic game.

Baseball please.
Quote by darth awsome

Not really. He has a lot of assists. You can't really call him a ball hog.....
Quote by darth awsome

lol do you watch basketball? You do realize you just called Chris Paul a ball hog. The guy who averaged 12 assists per game this season. The guy who averaged 12 assists per game in the first round of the playoffs and 11 assists per game in the conference semi-finals. Really now? Come on...

Quote by darth awsome
MJ FTW!

How is he a thug or a rapist lmao?

What is a thug and how does he fit into that category? Does he walk around with a gun, starting trouble, selling drugs, etc.?

The rape charges were completely dropped due to ZERO EVIDENCE. The girl who accused him of rape is known to have had multiple partners the night Kobe supposedly did something. The charges were dropped because the girl refused to testify, BECAUSE SHE HAD NO CASE.

And he dropped 81 points
who cares about NBA? it had a little fling of popularity but in the US it's beginning to fade in the public's interest. people care about the NFL, college football, college basketball and the MLB.

of course the US team will dominate in the olympics. no one else plays basketball.

but the baseball fans have to shut up and realize that football is the american sport now.
#DTWD
Had to bump after seeing the pitiful display vs the Aus team WITHOUT THEIR BEST PLAYER! All my bets are now going against the US team... Also notable was the lack of Chris Paul in that game, which coincided with the worst US game so far. I'm pretty sure the US won't win gold if they can barely beat the AUS team without their best player (sorry guys) because there are much better teams. The ball hoggery of Kobe/Lebron won't work so well when there is just a bunch of giant asians camping the lane. Also the lack of 3 seconds in the key calls on defense could make for some terribly boring ball.