I hope some one can clear up some of my confusion.Im self taught might not have been the best teacher,but I was affordable. anyways I dont understand how musicians can say this song is in A or G or D for that matter and everybody knows the song. so I hope someone can include me in the mix.
thats the key of the song
what letter they say they play using scales starting from that Root note
basically any song can be done in any key
its not really much but u should start learning some stuff about scales and intervals this would help out alot
Reffering to the notes, which are played you can say in whcih key a song is.
C, D, E, F, G, A, H --> in the key of C Major.

But I don't understand what you mean with : "Everybody knows the song..."
Quote by Sphinx1992
Reffering to the notes, which are played you can say in whcih key a song is.
C, D, E, F, G, A, H --> in the key of C Major.

But I don't understand what you mean with : "Everybody knows the song..."

he means that every 1 can play it
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
yeah I knew that was the key of the song .What I dont know is what chords would go in what key and Iam lacking in my scale studies.
Here's a kind of a cheesy way of learning how a chord goes with certain key sig's for any given song. Take an easy 3-4 chord song and play it on a stereo(anything by Greenday ought to suffice, lol). While the song is playing, play your guitar, but only one chord of your choosing. Let's use C for example. Repeatedly play that C chord over and over, no matter how bad it sounds against the song on the radio. At certain points it will "fit" with the song, and at others it won't. During the times it fits, you are playing the C chord to the key of the song, while at the time's it doesn't fit, you're out. When your C chord sounds right, you are either playing along with a C chord in the song, or are within the key, which will also sound right. Learning to play in key is critical to learning to play with other musicians, and also for singing along with guitars. Not everyones voice has the same range of pitch, so songwriters will write their music in the appropriate key to match the range of the singer.
Quote by OLEROCKER
yeah I knew that was the key of the song .What I dont know is what chords would go in what key and Iam lacking in my scale studies.

Basically if a song is in C major

the notes are

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

now intervals tell you whether its major or minor

I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-viio

basically the capital ones are major chords
the little are minors
and the o makes it diminished
Musician's Talk? moved.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.