is it wise to use a shure sm58 to record snare drum?
and would shure sm57 make do for a kick drum mic? if no, what are some good and cheap bass drum mics, (below 200us)
Last edited by recklessnick at Aug 5, 2008,
Those mics 'will do' for a lot of things. The 57 is a popular choice for snare, even among pro studio folks.

A really decent mic for kick that you can get used for probably a bit under $200 is the Sennheiser e602. I think the e902 is an updated version of the same mic.

As far as overheads.... go condensors.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Beta 52A is under 200USD. A 57 would most definately work, and if you have one I wouldn't suggest running out and buying a new kick drum mic, because it takes a lot of experimenting and learning of the mics characteristics before you can get a really nice final product. That goes for any mic. Micing drums is an art, you really can't just buy a mic throw it on a drum and expect an amazing sound (although sometimes thats the case).

Also an SM58 will work fine, they are virtually identicle, SM57's are a bit easier to work with physically because they lack the ball capsule on the end. If you have 200.00 to spend you'd almost be good just buying 2 SM57's, and working with those three mics. You'd be amazed at the results you can pull off with that kind of setup. I heard a song a few years back by an engineer who recorded everything with 3 SM57's. The results were stellar, and it just goes to show that knowing how to use the mics, as well as having a good song to begin with can go a long way.
Last edited by take_it_t at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by take_it_t

Also an SM58 will work fine, ... SM57's are a bit easier to work with physically because they lack the ball capsule on the end. ...it just goes to show that knowing how to use the mics, as well as having a good song to begin with can go a long way.

I thought this was all good advice....

cT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

No. Sm57's are dynamic mics and do not capture proper room sounds, ambience, and detail to act as good overheads.
Hello Nick.

I'd go for the samson, obviously. Or, like take_it_t says, a Shure Beta 52A, which would probably do fine.

I really would not recommend a '57 on the kick drum, because there's no low end. You'll get the punch OK, but the warmth won't be there.
id go 57 on snare

if you have to use the 58 on the kick but i dont recommend that
Fender H Stratocaster USA.
SX P90 Mahogany Hawk
Gibson Les Paul Studio Double Cut

Delta Labs Tube Driver
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Delta Labs Stereo Chorus
TC Nova Repeater
Korg Pitchblack Tuner Ped

Fender Super Champ XD
A 57 or 58 will give 'meh' results on a kick. It won't be terrible, but it certainly won't bring tears of joy.

I know nothing about the Samson Q-Kick, except Samson are known for making budget gear in the usable range of quality. The fact that it is a large diaphragm dynamic suggests that it will probably be at least as good as the 57/58, if not better. Large diaphragms are much better suited for kick.

Sort of like saying... would I be better using a Ferrarri or my beat-up bicycle to get to my friend's house, who lives across the field? While the Ferrarri may be of better build quality, the bicycle is the better tool for the job.

CT

I would agree with the analogy, except that the examples are a bit polarised.

I would compare the model 57 to a nice Ford. It's a perfectly lovely and prim automobile, but is very much an everyday and boring kind of workhorse.

I would always pick the beat up bicycle, because it has the character.

And spokey-dokes.
Good point.

CT