Hello guys.. Sorry for the noobish question.

First of all, I must say that I practice/record with a loop station (Boss RC-2) with some drum patterns, although I also use a metronome sometimes.

I have a problem with my solos (I am not a shredder, I play slow/average speed blues, average speed rock).

When I play, it seems that I am at tempo, playing a great solo, but when I listen to what I played, it just really sucks.. I mean, notes are slightly before or after what one would expect, lacking an overall time-coherence (evident to a musician, maybe less to a casual listener).

Besides, the notes seem almost hesitant; they lack attack/aggressivity even if I strum strings very hard (maybe due to the gear I am using?).

Anyway, I know I should use a drum/metronome but I am completely unaware of what discipline to follow to improve. What do you guys suggest?

Thank you very much for your support!
If you're lacking attack then you need to turn your treble up.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
maybe try playing some scale patterns in triplets, sixteens and other rhytm values. I used to
do it with my teacher before we moved on to play some simple blues solos. Such excercises
will improve your timing for sure.

example:
E
b
g
d............................................. 5.........................5.....7.....and so on...
a............5.....7..........5.....7...............5..........7
e.5.....8...............8

try doing it backwards, too. This is an example for sixteens, work out one for triplets yourself. This is very good for practising legato, too.

and as for the tone.. what recording device do u use? if u use cheap mic or a camera the
tone will always suck, otherwise try getting a better tone using your amp EQ, u can
find a lot of good presets on http://valvetronix.net/

good luck

edit: use metronome of course! or tap ur foot
Last edited by kop4 at Aug 5, 2008,
Getting your solos in tempo will come with practice. It's a good step forward to be recording and listening to them, because you can see where you're going wrong.

Next time you play through one of those solos, consciously make an effort to keep each note in beat, tap your foot and count the beats in your head or something
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Well what I've noticed with a lot of songs, maybe all just some better blended than others, is that when the beginning note of a riff is played, you start there and just go with it, when it starts again, you go with it again. Listen to a song, listen to the rhythm guitar and notice how the solo guitar is going along with what that guitar in the back is doing. This is just something I've noticed though. Give it a try anyway.
Well, actually, I noticed that the off-tempo thing becomes more evident when the speed is low. The whole thing becomes really sloppy.

It seems that I am not able to space correctly the notes between a beat an the other so it sounds like really like a 'beginner' sound on tape.

I'll try practicing with some triplets and sixteens as suggested. I hope I'll improve.. It's less than six months that I am into lead playing..
I used to have the same problem, to fix that you have to listen to yourself play more by recording yourself. The improvement comes when your ear is better trained so what you have in your head actually comes out. After a while, for me at least, when I hear a song on guitar I feel my hands moving when I'm not playing and I'm not doing anything, like a phantom pain because my brain just assumes my hands are making the music.