Has anyone heard anything good about the Epiphone Les Paul Secial II? Anything bad? I am looking into buying it, but am not sure and want to know what you guys think. Thanks for helping! DANCE!>
The question is: is there anything good about it?
If my opinion interests you: DONT buy it! This is one of the worst guitars for beginners on the market. The only thing that is worse is an ibanez gio.
If you wanna stay cheap and still buy something decent, id look out for a LP std second hand, or an agile or something. But NOT the cheap@ss epis.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
if you are just starting out it could be a good choice but other than that. the special II are not good at all.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
i'd suggest an agile instead.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
actually i have one and its amazing, the sound is incredible and really versatile, you can play slipknot to hendrix to amy winehouse
its not the most hard wearing but its definitely good to start with
I got the left handed Special II as a first electric, its not bad for begginers but it starts to have limitations as you get better
I have one and you may run in to hardware problems. Switches go easily. Tuning pegs ware out. The best thing I did was change the pickups. Other than those it's a steal for the price.
go for an agile over at rondomusic.com. The AL-2000 is $200 and is a great value. I'd suggest that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd get a cheap Ibanez over that. Second hand you can get a sweet guitar for $200 if you look around.
wtf, dont listen to those guitar snobs up the top, i have an epi spec II and its frickin shweet. I got a new guitar recently (BC Rich Kerry King V Sig) and i must say even tho the V shreds, i still love my epi. Awesome for beginners. I mean its like 150 US dollars its not like a 10000 dollar bloody Gibson Les Paul Tree of Life, but hey if u yern to learn look no further.
^fact is, that we actually KNOW stuff about guitars, and that we KNOW that there is better to get under 200$ than a bloody crappy LP Special II
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
You will pay too much for a Les Paul special because it has the Epiphone badge on it. Bacially, its a flat-top Les Paul body routed out for the simplest of wiring jobs, with two poor humbuckers in there. A guitar you could build for about $100. So, don't go with it. If you want a Les Paul, buy a copy that actually looks more like a Les Paul.
LP CL shut the f*ck up noob. I have a special II and its a better lead guitar than the Epi custom. The pickups are ballsier than most cheaper gutiars. I have one, read my blog on it i posted a couple of months ago.

Man ****ing seet guitar.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
LP CL shut the f*ck up noob. I have a special II and its a better lead guitar than the Epi custom. The pickups are ballsier than most cheaper gutiars. I have one, read my blog on it i posted a couple of months ago.

Man ****ing seet guitar.

You're funny, ill read your blog for sure!

EDIT:
Done reading. Wasnt that funny as your post here (just made me giggle a bit), but its clear that you havent tried out alot of gear yet.

people that want to giggle, but are to lazy to go look: click me
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Aug 6, 2008,
Hi, not wanting to be overly rude.. but the TS doesn't need crazy biased views towards a certain guitar because a certain someone owns it. He'd probably want a complete unbiased view and i'd go with those recommending Agile.. or as mentioned.. a second hand Epi. LP std.
It was my first guitar, I liked it, though as some guy said the switches can go easily.

Its a definitely not an awful guitar, you can just get better for your money.
Last edited by Womage at Aug 6, 2008,
its alright. I got mine and had it set up to come around 220 ish. I enjoy it, but I could of done better for the money.

Look for something used or an agile
I had an Epi SG G-310,
and in a lot of ways I miss it over my Epi Les Paul Custom.
Just because it's cheap don't diss it.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by zacharydak
I had an Epi SG G-310,
and in a lot of ways I miss it over my Epi Les Paul Custom.
Just because it's cheap don't diss it.

I had that guitar, I gave it to my friend because it had impossibly high action.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ya I've played one, they're garbage. I have a ****ty Ibanez but that thing plays like a freaking acoustic, the action is so high. Also, it is made of bricks (or feels like it anyways). DO NOT BUY. YOU WILL REGRET.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by oneblackened
I had that guitar, I gave it to my friend because it had impossibly high action.

Mine came stock low action. Just mm's away from fret buzz, it was perfect. Maybe you got a lemon
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
It sucks. I have one, it's in my current rig, and just no. Don't get it.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by zacharydak
Mine came stock low action. Just mm's away from fret buzz, it was perfect. Maybe you got a lemon

Well, mine had a BASSWOOD neck, so you can see what happened after a few months. the neck warped beyond adjustment. I gave my friend the body/parts and he's going to spray them and hang them on his wall.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I must of got a good one cause its better than the epiphone lp 100 and is a better lead gutiar than the custom. (even the custom owner admits.)
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I've heard they are mostly basswood, which will not sound as good as some other types of wood, and the neck will be completely unusable 5 years from now. Get a used guitar, Yamaha's are good, they use alder bodies (I've heard of agathis bodies, but never seen them) and maple/rosewood or maple/bubinga necks/fretboards, the wiring is decent, the p'ups sound good, and the quality control is excellent. They are also easily found used for cheap. a week ago, I got a yamaha tele copy for $50 on craigslist. the guy played it once years ago, put it away, and found it years later and sold it to me. When I got it, all I had to do was raise the pickups a bit closer to the strings and adjust the intonation and it was perfect. The other Yamaha I have was the same. they look and sound great, and are going to sound good for a long time.

Overall, the special II is an ok first guitar, though there are much better guitars for less money if you look. Just because it says Les Paul, doesn't mean it is going to sound like a Les Paul. an agile Les Paul copy will sound more like a Les Paul than a Special II

also, I'm not sure how much Rondo charges for shipping, I heard it was a good bit though, so email them about shipping first if you plan on buying from them.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!