Hey, does anybody know any techniques/websites for improving my speed at reading sheet music? Or is this just something that needs to be practiced to learn?
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Quote by MaXiMuse
You got to learn it. But I only read sheets for classical.For solo`s that around the 12th fret it`s very hard to read it fast.

Yeah, I do know how to read it, just not as a speed that I can play without having to stop at every 2nd note to work out what it is.

Ok I'll admit I need this more for my piano playing than guitar...
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
Piano is easier to read than guitar. You don't have the same note in many different places.

And you don't only need it for piano, you need it just as much for guitar.
Ehhg sheet music

if sheet music is too hard its too hard there are other ways.....
Last edited by IwantaTele at Aug 5, 2008,
Seriously, I used to be brilliant at sight reading sheet music...when I was 10 years old (I'm 21 now). But these days, most of the piano music I get is from guitar pro's, and I'm seriously finding it faster and easier to read the guitar tabs of it, and then convert the tabs (in my mind) to the appropriate notes, it's frustrating.
Gear:
-A Guitar
-A Bass Guitar
AND...
-amps for BOTH of them!!

(who cares?)
tips:

look for the lowest & highest notes ... look for repeated note passages..look for familiar patterns, scales forms, arpeggios, intervals etc...find a place on the fretboard where you can play these notes with as little finger manipulation as possible...

have fun

wolf
write what you are trying to sight read , transcribing is a fairly vital tool to sight reading !
book= sight reading for guitar by david oakes. get it. it's cheap and its good.
You could make a page of sheet music on your computer and under every line of music you put in a tab to tell you what notes to play on the strings of you instrument.
If your into jazz then I suggest you get a real book. Since im really bad at sight reading music I slowly pick out the notes and memorize it in small parts. I don't know if this is a good thing to do or not but it seems to be working for me.
Quote by confusius
Piano is easier to read than guitar. You don't have the same note in many different places.
I use patterns and shapes to read. Piano actually requires me to register what each note on the staff is. When I do it my way, I only have to do that occasionally.

I've always wondered, is that going to cause problems?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.