I've never heard these mentioned in here. I'm sure most of you will say how inferior they are, but has anyone actually played one, or own one? What styles are they voiced for? They seem like a good value, thoughts?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
How do they break up? I guess I should qualify that, what wattage is best to have good overdriven tones at bedroom volume, but still be able to get some cleans when needed?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I've never heard these mentioned in here. They seem like a good value, thoughts?

lol, seen any of my posts lately? On a budget, they are great amps. But you can usually do a little better in some people's opinions on the used market if you are anywhere near a major city.
Edit: Going to test a V3112T later this week, new "old" stock.
I have a V16 which is one of the discontinued Palomino amps. It gets good tone at all levels besides .1 on the volume. It really starts to sound its best on 3 on the volume. I am able to do that because my neighbors and parents are pretty cool about it while yours might not. It has decent clean headroom but you won't get cleans at gigging volumes without a PA.
^Awesome. Tell me how it is because I have heard clips and seen videos of it being amazing. It should show me what my V16 can sound like with an upgraded speaker.
Does your 16 keep up with drums ok?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Sounds good, I'll have to hunt one down to try out. I'm getting an EQ for my Peavey Windsor half stack this weekend, and if I can't get that damn thin ass sound to improve I'll be selling it, hopefully making a little money on it and getting a combo. I made the stereotypical mistake of sacrificing quality of amp for watts and half stack. Although in my defense thats cuz I got a great deal for it. Oh well live and learn.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Don't get me wrong the Windsor is a good amp, just a one-trick pony. I can nail an AC/DC like tone (maybe you should buy one), but not much else. I feel like I'm stuck in 1984 when I play. Also I don't know if its my guitar or the cab or what but when I play all the strings in a bar chord it makes me want to vomit. The sound is so thin and tinny, almost sounds like the guitar is out of tune, but its not. I have a pretty cheap Ibanez starter, so I'm hoping thats it cuz I'm getting an MIM strat soon. But the three highest strings on my guitar sound like garbage without a pile of effects on them. Does that sound like an amp or guitar issue? Will a strat improve that? Will a fish and chips EQ (that I'm getting Friday) improve that? Should I push my amp down the stairs?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 5, 2008,
Well I wouldn't push it down the stairs. Yes a Fish n Chips will help shape a better tone out of it. I tried a Windsor combo when I tested the V18-112 and the V33 and was kinda meh. (I preferred the VK to the Windsor hands down.) My only issue with the new V series in general is the 2x12's. IMO that's overkill and makes it more expensive should you want to swap speakers at some point. They make a 50 watt single speaker amp, but not a 33 watt single speaker option? WTF. Also downsides for some to the V18 are no effects loop and it's single channel. They sound great and have excellent clean sounds, I thought the V18 was a huge value compared to a Blues Jr, and had decent gain.
I'm interested in the older V3112t because it's 33 watts, single 12" tone tubby speaker two channels and an effects loop. (Plus I can't wait to see what they ask for it since it's discontinued).
Look for the older crate 'vintage club' series. They're amazing amps.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.