Hey guys, so im getting payed in a week and a bit, should be getting around £550

Im looking for a new guitar, preferably under £500 including shipping ($1000)

Im able to buy off ebay or other well known sites, it needs to have a floyd, dont mind if its ofr as long as its a decent.

i was thinking of http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=66779

But not sure about the edge 2? i think ive heard its bad or is that the edge 3?

Suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

EDIT: it will be used for extremely heavy metal and will be tuned low
For a few quid more you could get a RG1570 Prestige if you like the Ibanez.

But I do like the look of the RGT42DX. I've seen different specs for that model. I think the later models came with an Edge III instead of the Edge Pro II so be careful not to get one with the Edge III.
Gear:
- Yamaha RGX121D in black
- Schecter C1 in white
- Marshall Valvestate 8080
- Roland Cube 20x
- Zoom G1X
- Guitar Rig 3 (for practicing )
I own an Ibanez RGT42 and there is nothing I'd change it for this side of £1000. That probably sounds insane and I guess it is but I just love this guitar. It has everything you need in a great Metal and Rock guitar: the neck is thin, flat and fast; the body is well contoured and comfortable; it has a mahogany body for that rich, deep tone and finally, the reason I bought this instead of a Prestige RG1570 - a thru neck. The thru neck is the single greatest thing about this guitar as it gives buckets of sustain with effortless access to the upper frets. As a main guitar I would never be without a thru neck again and to give you an idea of what good value that is; how many other guitars can you think of with a thru neck and mahogany body for £400?

What about the potential pitfalls? The trem system always gets a mention on forums like this and I wouldn't claim it's a match for an Edge Zero but let's face it, if it was equipped with a unit like that you wouldn't be buying it for £400. I can't really comment on the Edge III trem as mine doesn't have that. I have played one and it seemed fine, though possibly not quite as good as the Edge Pro II that is fitted to mine. Aas far as mine is concerned, all of the worries that were expressed to me before I bought it have proved to be totally unfounded. It stays in tune for months once the strings have settled in and it has only ever broken one string in 3 years and that was only after far more trem use than I usually give it.

The other thing asked about is usually the pickups. The INF 1 & 2 are the best there is outside the Prestige range and for stock pups they're honestly pretty good. They're quite powerful and have a tone that is great for Metal. I have since upgraded mine and you may ultimately do the same but I've kept the original units as they're just too good to throw out and I'm sure I'll find a use for them somewhere.

Previous quality guitars I've owned have been an Ibanez Rocket Roll II (Flying V) and Fender Stratocaster 'Ritchie Sambora' with an original Floyd Rose and DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup. The Ibanez RGT42 is undoubtedly the best guitar I've ever owned. I visited the Ran website once and built up a spec for my ideal guitar and it turned out to be exactly the same as an RGT42 except for an Edge Zero trem in place of the Edge Pro II and Bare Knuckle 'Cold Sweat' pups that I've already added to mine. The quote I got from Ran was £1650!!!!!

If you're not bothered about a thru neck, there may be other guitars that offer great value but as a package, this is unbeatable at £400
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Aug 5, 2008,
Sounds good man cheers for the info! ill probably change the pups for some swineheads so not worried about them, and i love neck thru guitars, i already own a better guitar (also its neck thru) than the rgt42 its just i need a guitar for a different tuning

Ive still got alot of time to choose, but leaning towards the rgt42, mahogany body sounds very good and the one im getting would have the edge 2 pro i believe
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
meh,
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.