At last he's started to practice regularly and is taking an interest in it so as he improves, thoughts start to turn to his next guitar. At the moment he plays an Aria STG004 through a Kustom 10w amp but is looking for something more 'Metal'. For an amp he will get a Roland Cube 30w. He likes my Ibanez RGT42 so that is his starting point and is also at the very top of his buget so please don't suggest anything over £400. His shortlist of guitars is:

Cort EVL K4 = £297
Ibanez S-470 = £327
Jackson DK2 Dinky = £369
Jackson RR3 = £385
Ibanez RGT42 = £398

His tastes are reasonably diverse for a 15 year old but his favourite bands are A7X, BFMV and Disturbed so he clearly likes gain. I know the RGT42 is very good and the S-470 seems great value but I don't know as much about the Jacksons. When I got mine and looked at a Jackson I didn't get the impression it was as well screwed together as the Ibanez but things may have changed. The Cort is there as an alternative to the main two. It seems very good value but my own gut instinct is that for £30 more he'd be better off with the S-470.

If you have any experience of these then we'd love to hear your opinions and advice. Thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
You already have a RGT42 in the house. Its not interesting to have 2 of them. Plus, the pickups of the RG are a bit crappy, considdering the fact that both Jacksons come with genuin SD pups.
Anyway, apart from that, i'd still pick the RR3.

Another thing: all the suggestions you will receive will be personal. Best thing is to take him to the store where they have all those guitars, and let him play them. It will be clear to him which one he prefers.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Jackson RR souns sweet.
Maybe take a look at LTD or something the are also great.
My Gear
B.C. Rich Virgin N.J.
B.C. Rich Warlock N.J.
B.C. Rich Beast I.T.
Epiphone Goth Explorer
Stagg HK-300 (my first electric guitar)
Stagg Semi Acoustic
2 Spanish Guitars
Boss MT-2
Boss ME-50
Marshall 15 watt amp
You could find a good schecter in that price range which would be a good alternative to the Ibanezes and Jacksons. The C-1 series is pretty good.
Dean Dime-o-flage

edit: or any dean, Deans kickass
Last edited by Bullethead at Aug 5, 2008,
^major fail there.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
check them all out...

also cort manufacture a lot of other peoples guitars so you may get more bang for your buck there... fo sho!
Thank you please.
Quote by Doadman
At last he's started to practice regularly and is taking an interest in it so as he improves, thoughts start to turn to his next guitar. At the moment he plays an Aria STG004 through a Kustom 10w amp but is looking for something more 'Metal'. For an amp he will get a Roland Cube 30w. He likes my Ibanez RGT42 so that is his starting point and is also at the very top of his buget so please don't suggest anything over £400. His shortlist of guitars is:

Cort EVL K4 = £297
Ibanez S-470 = £327
Jackson DK2 Dinky = £369
Jackson RR3 = £385
Ibanez RGT42 = £398

His tastes are reasonably diverse for a 15 year old but his favourite bands are A7X, BFMV and Disturbed so he clearly likes gain. I know the RGT42 is very good and the S-470 seems great value but I don't know as much about the Jacksons. When I got mine and looked at a Jackson I didn't get the impression it was as well screwed together as the Ibanez but things may have changed. The Cort is there as an alternative to the main two. It seems very good value but my own gut instinct is that for £30 more he'd be better off with the S-470.

If you have any experience of these then we'd love to hear your opinions and advice. Thanks.

I'd go with the cort, the ones I tried looked nice, felt nice and sounded nice, even though I'm not a heavy metal guitarist.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
I'm a fan of the S Series Ibanez, you can't go wrong with them really.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It looks like I've done pretty well at coming up with a shortlist as all of the guitars seem to be well respected and good value. I will certainly get him to try them all and I think 5 is a manageable number to test out but I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a big mistake in there somewhere. He must make up his own mind at the end of the day, though I will obviously give him what advice I can. Personally, I think the Ibanez S-470 looks to be remarkably good value for money with a great neck, great body and good trem unit. The pups aren't as good as the Jacksons but the it is somewhat cheaper and he can always upgrade pups later as he develops clearer ideas about what sound he's after. Other than that, I can't help being drawn to the RR3. Generally, my days of pointy guitars are well behind me but there is something about the RR shape that I've always liked. For me it would be between those two but as I say, he will play them all and make his own decision.

Thanks for all the opinions and if anyone else has a contribution to make, I'd be very grateful.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
If hes into metal and £400 is the budget. Take a look at the Epiphone Prophecy Futura (FX or GX) it is a killer gutiar, 24 frets mahogany body, quilted maple top and a choice of gibson or emg pick up, and the FX has an original floyd rose. you really cannot go wrong considering they are around £320 for the GX and £360 for the FX
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been on holiday. That Epiphone Prphecy Futura sounds like incredible value for money and certainly seems like it's worth a look.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I got my Jackson when I was 14 and it is still my second favorite guitar (favorite being my Charvel but that is a story for another time). Maybe my best sounding. The DK2 is a guitar that will last, that is for sure. Would you consider buying used? You can find lots of cool used guitars for that price.
Ibanez its a really cool brand and so jackson does, I just know those 2 bands d¿from that list, i would just recommend u to take your son with you so that he can feel the guitar neck and then he will decide which guitar is more comfortable, I really dont care about the amp at much I care most for my comfort, cause you might have the most cool quality guitar but if u dont feel comfortable.......well, you dont play as good as with one that u feel comfortable, XD Good Luck!!!
the lower jacksons seem like crap guitars when you play them. The Ibanez's are really solid, let him try them out. You can't go wrong with Ibanez (unless its a Geo).
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
I've always found Ibanez's to be nothing special. Sure the S-470 has a thin neck but so do the Jacksons, but not so thin there uncomfortable. My personal choice would be the RR3 because of the superior pickups to the Ibanez, the Ibanez pickups when I tried it were weak and would need to be changed quite soon after purchase.
The cort EVL Series are so damn nice, go for it.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by Doadman
Other than that, I can't help being drawn to the RR3. Generally, my days of pointy guitars are well behind me but there is something about the RR shape that I've always liked.

Get the RR3, then play it yourself...

But seriously, the RR3 is a decent guitar. Make sure your son tries it out though to see if he likes sitting with the RR shape.

Quote by LP_CL
You already have a RGT42 in the house. Its not interesting to have 2 of them. Plus, the pickups of the RG are a bit crappy, considdering the fact that both Jacksons come with genuin SD pups.
Anyway, apart from that, i'd still pick the RR3.

Another thing: all the suggestions you will receive will be personal. Best thing is to take him to the store where they have all those guitars, and let him play them. It will be clear to him which one he prefers.

+110000!
out of all the guitars in my sig. the jackson is my most played guitar. i would love to have rr-3 my self. ps, being a dad my self its really cool that you take such an interest in your childs music playing. im teaching my daughter to play as well. i can remember my dad beating on the ceiling with a broom handle begging me to make the hurting stop.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Your childhood sounds much like mine as my parents dismissed it all as simply noise that shouldn't be taken seriously and I was given relatively little support. These days they still hate my choice in music but they do at least appreciate the skill that is involved and the amount of hard work it takes.

I quite agree about the feel of the guitar and especially the neck as certainly it was the feel of the Wizard II neck and thru-neck construction that sold me on mine more than anything else.

The Jacksons have better standard pups but I think the Ibanez build quality is a little superior. Truth be told, I think that Jackson and Ibanez are much the same in many respects and if you like playing an Ibanez RG or S series, the chances are you'll get on quite well with Jacksons. I assume that Cort are much the same as they build guitars for Ibanez and from what I can gather, the neck dimensions on the Cort EVL are much the same as an Ibanez Wizard II. I still instinctively feel that the S-470 is worth the £30 extra.

The other factor is the tonal characteristics of the wood being used. I'm not a great fan of the basswood that is used in many of the Ibanez guitars but I do love mahogany above all other woods for its warm and rich sound. Significantly the two Ibanez models selected here both use mahogany and that is also part of the appeal of the Cort and Epiphone. Jackson seem to prefer Alder, which seems to give them a very crisp and articulate sound but personally I find it a little two dimensional compared to mahogany but it will be his choice not mine.

The spec on the Epiphone is astonishing at that price but it means nothing if the neck isn't right. At this stage the spec is attracting him but I have certainly pointed out that he needs to play them first and then see what he thinks. Like buying a house, some guitars just feel 'right' the moment you hold them. It isn't my job to pick the guitar for him, just to largely fund the purchase. I am happy to leave the choice entirely to him and offer advice when asked but I will try to guide him if I think he is being unduly influenced by the shape, colour etc. of the guitar or other such trivial considerations.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Last edited by Doadman at Aug 20, 2008,
Show him some Schecters. I think he's be pleasantly surprised. Plus fairly inexpensive, but good guitars.
I would say its definitely a pick between the RR and the DK2. Its just a matter of what shape you want I suppose, and with real Seymour Duncan's I'd say they're the best value for the money. I've owned, and played many DK2's. Some have really awesome build quality. I sold my DK2 because I wanted a 7 string and the DK2 and 7 string felt like they would've been a little redundant, now that I own 6 guitars :P
RR3, the DK2, or an Epiphone Prophecy will do you and your son great,
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
only one i have any experience with is the dk2 which i definately do recomend. my friend has it and loves it.