yeah i got this for free from someone who was going to throw it out

the electronics work and it sounds pretty good actually

some weird things i noticed are the "0 fret" right before the first fret, the fact that the truss rod is sticking out the bottom of the neck, and the bridge isnt like anything I've seen before

i want to fix it up and maybe re-finish it but my main concern is (as shown in the last picture) the 8th fret is missing and the plastic binding around the fretboard is missing from frets 4 to 9 on the right side

how should i start on this?

thanks
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
It probably wouldn't really be worth it considering you would have to do a refret among other things.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I have on old Harmony student size acoustic that has a zero fret and a burst just like yours. I think you should fix it up even if only for poops and giggles.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
What a beauty!

Do NOT re-finish it! The look of an old used guitar is god damn classy. The 0-fret is suppose to be there. If you want the nut to be there instead of the 0-fret you have to rout for a nut at the place of the 0-fret. If the electronics works fine, donät do anything about it.

This is what i should have done.
*Change the bridge to a tune-o-matic.
*Put on new binding on the neck.
*Refret the whole neck.
*Polish the hardware.
*Maybe change tuners if those on are ****.
*Maybe move the nut to 0-fret place, makes it easier to get rid of fretbuzz.

I would be so happy if someone gave me a guitar like this.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Quote by LP Addict
you strung it up backwards. redo it.

i didnt string it up it came like that, the strings are probably 10 years old and will be replaced anyways

is it possible to just figure out the right fret size and replace one fret and not all of them?

and where do i get fretboard binding?

thanks for input guys
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
ok this is weird I removed the bridge and found this

the 4 holes are where the bridge was screwed in. but theres a big gash in the middle with a wire sticking out that was taped over

does this wire have a purpose?

EDIT: does anybody know where to get that dark brown colored binding? stewmac has white and black only and i'd rather not replace the entire binding around the fretboard, just replace the one side of it
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Last edited by pinback at Aug 6, 2008,
The wire was most likely the bridge's grounding wire. Keep it there. Once you put a new bridge in you will have to attach it to the bridge.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
The wire was most likely the bridge's grounding wire. Keep it there. Once you put a new bridge in you will have to attach it to the bridge.

what does the grounding wire actually do though? the wire was covered with a piece of tape (you can see in the picture) and wasnt connected to anything

oh and what kind of bridge should I use to replace the original (exact model please)
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Last edited by pinback at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by pinback
what does the grounding wire actually do though? the wire was covered with a piece of tape (you can see in the picture) and wasnt connected to anything

oh and what kind of bridge should I use to replace the original (exact model please)

We need to know the string spread and post spacing to know if a tune-o-matic would fit. If it does you're one lucky guy.

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/product_detail/tune-o-matic_detail.gif
Quote by oakn
We need to know the string spread and post spacing to know if a tune-o-matic would fit. If it does you're one lucky guy.

http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/product_detail/tune-o-matic_detail.gif

ok taking the measurements between the two higher screws is 3 1/4"

distance between the two lower screws is 1 5/8"

and the string spacing is 2 1/16"

im guessing with a tune-o-matic only the two top holes would be used? so then im kind of stuck with the other holes and the awkward gash?
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
can i ask whats the purpose of a zero fret,..it kinda freaks me out lol
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Aug 7, 2008,
On the topic of the binding, couldn't you buy white binding and spray it brown? I may be wrong, but if you lay down a coat with some semi-gloss or gloss on top it should work just fine.

Is there any way you can follow that wire under the bridge to its other connection? If you can find the other end, that should solve your problem.

Beautiful guitar
hey TS for the binding, why not try natural wood binding, or you could stain it darker if you wantes.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Wood_binding_and_purfling/Natural_Wood_Bindings.html
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by pinback

It should be connected to the bridge, to get rid of a lot of hum that supposedly comes from the bridge.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
thanks for the replies everyone!

i think i'm going to keep the original tailpiece there so it covers those holes instead of buying a tune-o-matic tailpiece

however i am going to buy a tune-o-matic bridge, i assume it will work fine with the orig tailpiece because they are the same measurements...?

is this a good choice? http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_510_Bridge_and_Tailpiece.html

looking at the chrome 'bridge only' for $85

and ive also chosen to buy the rosewood binding for the fretboard
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Wood_binding_and_purfling/Natural_Wood_Bindings.html

whats the best way to get the binding down the the right size? i will need to shave off 2.35 mm off the height for it to fit perfectly, and cutting it with an exacto knife probably isnt the most accurate way

thanks again
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Wow, that is an AWESOME looking guitar!! I must echo the other opinions and say I'm extremely jealous!
Quote by pinback
thanks for the replies everyone!

i think i'm going to keep the original tailpiece there so it covers those holes instead of buying a tune-o-matic tailpiece

however i am going to buy a tune-o-matic bridge, i assume it will work fine with the orig tailpiece because they are the same measurements...?

is this a good choice? http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_510_Bridge_and_Tailpiece.html

looking at the chrome 'bridge only' for $85

and ive also chosen to buy the rosewood binding for the fretboard

whats the best way to get the binding down the the right size? i will need to shave off 2.35 mm off the height for it to fit perfectly, and cutting it with an exacto knife probably isnt the most accurate way

thanks again

That t-o-m bridge is quite expensive, I bet it's really good but I would have pickd something cheeper like http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Studs_Bushings.html

I wouldn't choose rosewood binding 'cuz the fretboard is rosewood, I would use black plastic binding. I want the binding to set off the fretboard. But thats me, if you like the rosewood binding go for it.
Quote by oakn
That t-o-m bridge is quite expensive, I bet it's really good but I would have pickd something cheeper like http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Studs_Bushings.html

I wouldn't choose rosewood binding 'cuz the fretboard is rosewood, I would use black plastic binding. I want the binding to set off the fretboard. But thats me, if you like the rosewood binding go for it.

what does it mean when the TOM is mounted by studs and bushings? does it require different sized screws? thanks for that suggestion but now im actually looking at http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/1/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Standard_Posts/Pictures.html#details because it has the same posts and washers that i already have in the guitar

and i want to use rosewood because the rest of the binding is dark brown plastic that matches the rosewood fretboard
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Quote by thegrungyhippie
So, what is wrong with the original bridge that you are buying a new one?

i want individual saddle adjustments so it can intonate properly, although now i have to adjust the truss rod too because the neck is a bit warped forward

ordered rosewood binding, some fretwire and a TOM from stewmac, will update with progress when i get them

still open to other suggestions tho
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Quote by Toolfan11
What are those switches by the neck?

each pickup has an on/off switch

its sort of like a 3 way switch because theres 4 combinations but if you turn both off no sound comes out
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Quote by pinback

yeah i got this for free from someone who was going to throw it out

the electronics work and it sounds pretty good actually

some weird things i noticed are the "0 fret" right before the first fret, the fact that the truss rod is sticking out the bottom of the neck, and the bridge isnt like anything I've seen before

i want to fix it up and maybe re-finish it but my main concern is (as shown in the last picture) the 8th fret is missing and the plastic binding around the fretboard is missing from frets 4 to 9 on the right side

how should i start on this?

thanks

nice start
Quote by Epiphany521
nice start

Was it necessary to quote all of those pictures? It took my computer ten minutes to get to the bottom, and all you said was "Nice start". hahaha
Quote by theskyline
Was it necessary to quote all of those pictures? It took my computer ten minutes to get to the bottom, and all you said was "Nice start". hahaha

yes it was necessary. people couldve been confused on what i'm talking about.
nvm i figured it out

will update when i get the new binding on
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Last edited by pinback at Aug 11, 2008,
Awesome guitar man. The Zero fret is pretty wild. My boyfriend's dad has an old VOX Cheetah hollow body that has a zero fret.

Good luck on it though.

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
I got one of them'

I'm actually selling mine because I don't play it that much, but it is an amazing guitar.
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
^ that looks awesome is the neck Stock or a replacement?

yours has (i think) mahogany/ebony and mine has maple/rosewood
Quote by TDS

*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Nah man, all original. but yeah ebony
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3