hey,

i was learning about barre chords and i was playing the 5 string versions of them. Now the minor barre chords i can do fine, but the majors are a pain. For example the C major barre chords where the 3 fret is barred. Now my question is do i barre the 3 notes on the fifth fret or do fret each individual note.

sorry if that is a little confusing, its kinda hard to explain.
thanks
learn todo both
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
yeah its best to learn to do both, if you learn the seperate three finger one it can make it easier to make a variation of that chord, if you barre them all with one finger it is easier to get in to and easier to slide to another chord
when irish eyes are smiling, you've had to too much to drink cus eyes dont smile, mouths do
thats legit...if your just playing simple major chords, the triple bar is going to be simpler and easier on your hand, but if your messing around with suspended chords and such, it will be very useful to be able to play it with three separate fingers.
Basically, the instructions will tell you to finger the 3 notes on the 5th fret. But, its a lot easier if you'll just bar those 3 notes w/ your ring finger and forget about the first string.
yea i was wondering about that first string if it was ok to just barre that on the fifth fret with the other three. That makes it about 10x easier to do.
Quote by camotehead
Basically, the instructions will tell you to finger the 3 notes on the 5th fret. But, its a lot easier if you'll just bar those 3 notes w/ your ring finger and forget about the first string.

nooooo way dude,,, dont lose that high note,,, hyper extend your joint where the base of your finger lifts off and does not barre the high E.
Quote by nbmack
yea i was wondering about that first string if it was ok to just barre that on the fifth fret with the other three. That makes it about 10x easier to do.

dont do that man
Quote by Findinghomer
nooooo way dude,,, dont lose that high note,,, hyper extend your joint where the base of your finger lifts off and does not barre the high E.

doesn't that hurt you? Its killing me when i try to do it. Im not sure if fingers are meant to bend that way
Quote by nbmack
doesn't that hurt you? Its killing me when i try to do it. Im not sure if fingers are meant to bend that way

They can, you barre with you first finger and use only the pad of your third finger to make a double barre. It takes time but you can perfect it so all strings sound out.