i was thinking along the lines of the solo in double talking jive by gnr, what scale is particularly suited for that (ex: harmonic minor is really good for middle eastern sounding stuff, if used correctly).

before anyone says it, i know that ANY scale can be used, given correct usage. but i want to make it easy on myself.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by mdc
Phrygian or Phrygian Dominant. Oh boy, here we go again!

thanks, i remembered it was some form of phrygian from the last time i saw a thread like this.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
i think most of the modes personally have a spanish sound to them, spanish type guitar has a certain way of being played that gives it its flair

however i find these scales used often: minor, harmonic minor, phrygian, phrygian dominant and major.
Depends what sort of spanish music you want to play. If you want to sound Spanish you can pull it off with phrygian, phrygian dom and harmonic minor but! if you want to play proper flamenco, it's a much deeper music where it's not only the notes but the how is VERY important.

In flamenco, there is compas, and if you're out of compas(which is the rhythm) you are not flamenco and you will not be able to play with other flamenco guitarists.
no lol i tried playing flamenco once and got my ass owned, i'm just trying to give it a spanish feel .
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Then lots of phrygian man! Especially in E, for whatever reason E phrygian sounds more Spanish to me than other keys. Just experiment and it'll start to work out.
Quote by z4twenny
i think most of the modes personally have a spanish sound to them, spanish type guitar has a certain way of being played that gives it its flair

however i find these scales used often: minor, harmonic minor, phrygian, phrygian dominant and major.

Yeah those scales do sound good for spanish music, as well as others. The key is learning the techniques of spanish style. Just listen to lots of spanish music, find spanish tabs. Get the feel for it.
I have a question. Say you play a Phyrigian Mode off of the E Major Scale (E F# G# A B C# D# E) Now a phyrgian mode is made by playing a diatonic scale from the third degree to the octave.. Now that's G# right? and you play a diatonic, (Whole, Whole. Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half) all the way up to G#?? is that a Phrygian?
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by cokeisbetter
^ Yeah. In the most basic sense, it's E major starting on a G#.

so do you end on E or G#? lol
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"