Page 1 of 2
EDIT!!!

PLEASE keep your scales to the format I entered. If you forget a hyphen or something, I dont really care. But I dont have all day to decipher what ever formula you use for your scale, and then translate it into this one. Thank you

Can we compile a list of all the exotic scales we know?

Name of scale and formula I think?

Enter your scale like this...

Harmonic Minor-1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

And then Ill copy pasta it into this post and we can have a massive collection of scales.

Ill start with the normal ones

Major-1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Minor-1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Harmonic Minor-1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7
Neapolitan Minor-1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 7
Neapolitan Major-1 b2 b3 4 5 6 7
Oriental-1 b2 3 4 b5 6 b7
Double Harmonic-1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7
Hungarian Gypsy-1 2 b3 #4 5 b6 7
Phrygian Dominant/Spanish Gypsy-1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7
Persian-1 b2 3 4 b5 b6 7
Hindu scale (Aeolian Dominant)-1 2 3 4 5 b6 b7
Enigmatic scale-1 b2 3 #4 #5 #6
Romanian-1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7
Super Locrian-1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7
Last edited by zeppelinfreak51 at Aug 6, 2008,
I don't know the official name, I call it the "miserloo scale"

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
I don't know the official name, I call it the "miserloo scale"

1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7

See required format
phrygian has a b3 and b7...right?
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
No, it's not phrygian.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Honchoshi-R, 4, R (aka _4)
Niagari-R, 5, R (aka _5)
Warao Ditonic-R, b7, R (aka _b7)
Peruvian Tritonic 2-R, b3, 6, R (aka Minor 6 no5 arpeggio)
Ute Tritonic-R, b3, b7, R (Minor 7 no5 arp)
Raga Malasri-R, 3, 5, R (aka. Major arpeggio)
4 Semitone-R, 3, #5, R (aka Augmented arpeggio)
Raga Sarvasri/Warao Tritonic-R, 4, 5, R (aka. Sus4 arpeggio)
Sansagari-R, 4, b7, R (aka 7sus4 no5 arp)
Raga Ongkari-R, #4, 5, R (AKA sus#4 arp)
Raga Lavangi-R, b2, 5, b7, R (aka 7susb2 arp)
Messiaen's Truncated Mode 5-R, b2, #4, 5, R (aka sus#4 addb9 arp)
Warao Tetratonic-R, 2, b3, b7, R (aka minor9 no5 arp)
Eskimo Tetratonic-R, 2, 3, 5, R (aka add9 arp)
Genus Primum-R, 2, 4, 5, R (aka add9sus4 arp)
Raga Bhavani-R, 2, 4, 6, R (Aka 6/9sus4 no5 arp)
Messiaen's Truncated Mode 6-R, 2, b5, b6, R (aka b6/9 b5 arp)
Raga Sumukam-R, 2, b5, 7, R (aka 7sus2b5 arp)
3 Semitone-R, b3, b5, 6 (bb7), R (aka diminished 7 arp)
Bi Yu-R, b3, 5, b7, R (aka minor7 arp)
Messiaen's Truncated Mode 6 Inverse-R, 3, b5, b7, R (aka 7b5 arp)
Raga Mahathi-R, 3, 5, b7, R (aka 7 arp)
Messiaen's Truncated Mode 5 Inverse-R, 4, b5, 7, R (aka 7sus4 b5 arp)

There's the start. I'll add more later. However, all of these are effectively described as variations of much more common western scales (see parenthetical notes).
For the scales with few notes, I chose to describe them also as arpeggios. However, you could also show them as being a fragment of an existing western scale--for example, Bi Yu could be considered Natural Minor/Aeolian, Dorian, Phrygian, or Locrian with the 2nd, 4th, and 6th omitted. As the number of notes in the scale increases, I will make more comparisons to scales as opposed to arps.
Last edited by TheShred201 at Aug 5, 2008,
Hungarian Gypsy: 1, 2, b3, #4, 5, b6, 7, 8
I don't know the name, but I just know this scale is widely used in Armenian (and I think other Caucasian/Anatolian and some Jewish) music: 1, b2, 3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8
The vast majority of those scales are harmonically useless, and would better be used as brief alterations to the major scale. We don't need a thread for exotic scales, we need a thread detailing the theory behind the major scale, which is infinitely more useful.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Yeah, I don't really use any of the ones in that large list someone posted. However, I extensively use the Byzantine, Harmonic Minor, Hungarian Gypsy and the other one I posted.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The vast majority of those scales are harmonically useless, and would better be used as brief alterations to the major scale. We don't need a thread for exotic scales, we need a thread detailing the theory behind the major scale, which is infinitely more useful.

So make one
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
So make one

We have one. It's the theory sticky that no one ever reads.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis

They all have a distinct "flavor" though, so it's useful to separate them out if for no other reason than to remember the feel of each one.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Quote by beadhangingOne
There's this "gothic minor" thing george lynch does. Sounds pretty cool.

I think it's R, 2, b3, 5, b6, R

Minor with no seven, right? I'm not sure if omitting notes is really a different scale, per se.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Vox AD50
Phrygian Domiant / Spanish Gypsy - 1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by TheShred201
Thank you!
Quote by Archeo Avis
We don't need a thread for exotic scales

We don't? It seems like a lot of people are interested in having a reference of exotic scales, so why shouldn't there be a thread for it?
Quote by Archeo Avis
we need a thread detailing the theory behind the major scale, which is infinitely more useful.

Quote by Archeo Avis

If you're going to be arrogant, at least provide a consistent argument.
Last edited by Mayano at Aug 6, 2008,
We don't? It seems like a lot of people are interested in having a reference of exotic scales, so why shouldn't there be a thread for it?

The vast majority of those same people have no idea how to use those scales beyond looking up a box shape.

If you're going to be arrogant, at least provide a consistent argument.

That wasn't an argument. Words have definitions.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The vast majority of those same people have no idea how to use those scales beyond looking up a box shape.

That wasn't an argument. Words have definitions.

Even if that is the case, the purpose of this thread (as far as I can gather) was to make a good reference of various exotic scales. To me that seems like something that would be useful, so why shouldn't we have this thread?
Yes, words do have definitions, and here's one for argument: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/argument
In any case, why suggest that we need a thread on the theory behind the major scale instead of this thread, when just a few posts later explain that there already is one, when someone asked you to make it yourself?
Imagine how much more willing people would be to heed your obviously valuable advice, if you delivered it in a nicer way?
Last edited by Mayano at Aug 6, 2008,
I have to agree with Mayano. If you're complaining about the sticky never being read maybe it's because it's too dense. Making a separate thread on such an important topic like the major scale seeing as it's one of the cornerstones of western music would be a great idea, don't you think?

You could do it all by yourself!
Quote by Archeo Avis
This is correct boys. Archeo is an ass, he might SEEM arrogant and incorrect, but he's right 90% of the time.

Although exotic scales are VERY interesting, but they're near useless in western music as you cant create any stable or nice sounding chord progressions from these scales. I'm not too sure, but I think they're even useless in counterpoint. Even as melodic device (so you might have your melody in an exotic scale and the progression in a diatonic scale) they're useless as alot of western composers these days would rather use chromatics and weird out of key notes to achieve new sounds, instead of weird scales.

Whats even more important than a thread on major scale harmony is the effect of melodic and harmonic intervals. But because most musicians dont even know what intervals are, we get scale threads instead.

Quote by Mayano
Imagine how much more willing people would be to heed your obviously valuable advice, if you delivered it in a nicer way?
He doesnt need to be nice, he's muthafuckin archeo avis biches.
Jokes aside, he's actually brought a relevant opinion to the thread, all you've done is point out what we ALL already know, that archeo is an asshole.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight

He doesnt need to be nice, he's muthafuckin archeo avis biches.
Jokes aside, he's actually brought a relevant opinion to the thread, all you've done is point out what we ALL already know, that archeo is an asshole.

Yeah, maybe I was pointing out the obvious with the asshole thing, but just because he's right 90% of the time, doesn't mean he has to be an asshole for a similar amount.
And I definitely disagree with the whole, "we don't need this thread" thing. There's absolutely no reason why it's a bad thread, and if Archeo thinks we could do with a major scale theory thread instead, than by all means make it. But there's no need to question the point of a perfectly good thread that someone else went to the trouble of making.
Doesn't look like anyone has posted www.all-guitar-chords.com yet, it has a big section on scales
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Archeo Avis

Quote by Archeo Avis

And you're helping with each issue you point out how?

Although exotic scales are VERY interesting, but they're near useless in western music as you cant create any stable or nice sounding chord progressions from these scales.

So whats the verdict? Interesting or useless?

Archeo is an ass, he might SEEM arrogant and incorrect, but he's right 90% of the time.

Right isn't helpful or relevant.

Grass is green - but that doesn't help here either.

Speaking of which, guitar pro has a HUGE database of scales built into it, shows them all over the fretboard and can be used to identify which "scale" you've written something in if it sounds exotic to you.
Quote by Freepower
So whats the verdict? Interesting or useless?
I dunno. It is sort of interesting to look at a scale and say, okay in such and such cultural music these people like to use alot of such and such interval. But learning all these scales sounds like a waste of time, IMO.
You've also got to realise that rhthym, phrasing and tone have more of an effect on cultural sound than scale.
My point stands. Interesting, but useless because we live in a western world. Just like knowing that video games can have the same effect as pot. Interesting, but useless as I dont play much video games.
Quote by Freepower
Right isn't helpful or relevant.
It is when your looking for the truth.
Quote by Freepower
Grass is green - but that doesn't help here either.
Well down here grass is brown due to drought.
Quote by Freepower
Speaking of which, guitar pro has a HUGE database of scales built into it, shows them all over the fretboard and can be used to identify which "scale" you've written something in if it sounds exotic to you.
Yeah, and guitar pro will even play them to you. But most of them are mispelled musically.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Freepower

Yes!

I am a huge advocate of GP's built in chord and scale database. Perfect for fast and easy composition. I love how all the notes automatically appear on the virtual fretboard.
I dunno. It is sort of interesting to look at a scale and say, okay in such and such cultural music these people like to use alot of such and such interval. But learning all these scales sounds like a waste of time, IMO.
You've also got to realise that rhthym, phrasing and tone have more of an effect on cultural sound than scale.

Sure, but there's no harm in a limited attempt at imitating foreign sounds and adding them to your repertoire. Also, the endless repetition of "rhythm tone and phrasing count too!" is really bothersome whenever no-one seems to bother helping people with these either.

My point stands. Interesting, but useless because we live in a western world.

Like it was for Jonas Hellborg, John McLaughlin, Shawn Lane and Marty Freidman? To say useless goes too far. "Not easily consonantly applied to contemporary popular music" perhaps.

It is when your looking for the truth.

Yeah....

*shrug*

Yeah, and guitar pro will even play them to you. But most of them are mispelled musically.

Tbh, this doesn't really matter. It's not really that bad and on top of which, how do you choose spellings for scales that weren't notated in western music in their original context? Common sense, aye? People who can respell scales will have no problem with even the most awkward in GP, people who can't will learn how to at some point or not, but will still have positions for a scale they think sounds cool.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Then why do we need to make another one?

EDIT

Seriously, if you dont have any scales, just leave. I really would prefer it if this thread didnt get closed for off topic.

DOUBLE EDIT

And btw, whoever said something about not being able to use exotic scales cause there not diatonic phails.

As you can clearly see, most exotic scales (and all the ones so far posted) have 7 tones. Which is indeed what makes a scale diatonic.
Last edited by zeppelinfreak51 at Aug 6, 2008,
http://www.jazzguitar.be/exotic_guitar_scales.html
http://www.guitarworld.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=54563
http://www.guitarbasics.com/theory/chap10_lesson1.htm

google helps, yeah?

Persian 1 b2 3 4 b5 b6 7
Hindu scale (Aeolian Dominant) 1 2 3 4 5 b6 b7
Enigmatic scale: 1 b2 3 #4 #5 #6
Romanian 1 2 b3 #4 5 6 b7

so...this thread is sort of pointless since all the information is already on the web, just not on UG...
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
Quote by Archeo Avis

They are harmonically usefull when done in the context they should be done in (I guess most of them, like melakartas, maqams, etc)...

We need threads explaining those kinds of music...
I do find there is a lack of theory behind the major scale, etc in this forum, like the lack of mention of tetrachords (which in turn the aljnas are very important in arab music) etc..

EDIT:Anyways, here there is a very rare exotic scale..

Masturba scale- #1 b2 bb3 bbbb4 bb5 X6 bb7
Try it...
Last edited by gonzaw at Aug 6, 2008,
Quote by gwitersnamps
Minor with no seven, right? I'm not sure if omitting notes is really a different scale, per se.

minor with no 4 and no 7.

I say they are. Major pentatonic sounds different from the Major scale.
Quote by Stolen Identity

so...this thread is sort of pointless since all the information is already on the web, just not on UG...

When isn't the info already on the web?

If people learnt to look for themselves, google would double their traffic and these forums would die overnight.

Hey guys ive uploaded a preview of my new song Cold Injury its not finished yet but i hope that you like what i have so far Thanks

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/rafael203/music/

I don't know whether I like it, but I know it belongs in the original recordings forum. If I see this kind of thing again, I'll report you, matey.
"scale 1 " -R,3,4,5,b7,R
"scale 2 " - R,b2,3,5,b7,R
"scale 3 " - R,b2,4,5,b7,R
"scale 4 " - R,2,#4,5,7,R
Super Locrian - 1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7
Phrygian Dominant/Jewish/Ahava Raba - 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7
Page 1 of 2