so everytime I try to learn something new I always end up giving up! help me! is there any way to get rid of this! I want to learn!
let's shred!
I do the same thing, try learning it in pieces.

I usually skip the solo, even though if I practice it, I know it could play. If I look at it, I'll give up before I start.
you like Modest Mouse? if so learn dramamine. one guitar part plays the same thing the whole time, then theres like 4 lead parts that are all relatively easy. its a great first song. also sublime santeria is pretty simple. pick songs with; intro, verse,chorus,solo, maybe outro. that way you just learn each part once and play them 3 times or whatever to play the whole song. just start with things you know you can do right away. sometimes I learn a song just by playing the chords with the tabs, and after playing through it once or twice im done. memorizing and learning 2 minutes of unique riffs is hard pick songs with a couple simple repeating riffs.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
if you're trying difficult songs you have to realise that alot of effort has to go into learning it properly in order to be able to play it start to finish properly.

this may sound stupid but try meditating, and barring that convincing yourself that you CAN do it (i noticed that your thread title is CAN'T learn song!). so rethink it. it's not that you CAN'T learn a song. its that you haven't ACTUALLY learnt a song. rephrase it in positive terms.

next i'd recommend learning an easy song start to finish. something with simple strumming of chords. then work your way up through to more complex things. if you think you can do it, set aside 30 mins a day to work on a song you really really want to play that challenges you and do absolutely nothing but practice that song properly (breaking it into chunks). you will learn a whole song that way and you will improve your skills.
Quote by sisuphi
if you're trying difficult songs you have to realise that alot of effort has to go into learning it properly in order to be able to play it start to finish properly.

this may sound stupid but try meditating, and barring that convincing yourself that you CAN do it (i noticed that your thread title is CAN'T learn song!). so rethink it. it's not that you CAN'T learn a song. its that you haven't ACTUALLY learnt a song. rephrase it in positive terms.

next i'd recommend learning an easy song start to finish. something with simple strumming of chords. then work your way up through to more complex things. if you think you can do it, set aside 30 mins a day to work on a song you really really want to play that challenges you and do absolutely nothing but practice that song properly (breaking it into chunks). you will learn a whole song that way and you will improve your skills.
thanks! what would you recommend to learn? because at the moment I always try to learn trivium songs.
let's shred!
well if you like trivium some simpler songs may not be in the style you like. i'd probably say go through your iPod and find some songs that sound simple. maybe some bob dylan style stuff or just acoustic strumming things. (i'm not going to recommend green day unless you really like it). from there i'd say do some modest mouse (dramamine as suggested above). then maybe some radiohead.

the most important thing isn't the song actually though. its the techniques in the song. if you're choosing something that has an absolute ton of string skips and you're not that advanced in string skipping, then it may take you a significant amount of time to actually be able to play the song at even half speed.

again though to benefit from learning easier songs you have to make sure that you're practicing any difficult sections extremely slowly and then working your way back up to the song tempo. once there try speeding it up before finding a new song.

alot of "indie" music (franz ferdinand, the killers, the strokes, modest mouse, etc) has string skipping that isn't too crazy and nothing too fast. maybe start there?

edit: if you find some stuff on your iPod or music or whatever let me know what you're going to play!
Quote by smidge146
so everytime I try to learn something new I always end up giving up! help me! is there any way to get rid of this! I want to learn!

Hey

There is a great way to learn guitar and songs now.

Online is the answer, Just got to the website below, there are some great links to take YOU where you need to go.

Cheers

Dene

www.LearnGuitarOnlineToday.com/index.html
Modest Mouse-Dramamine, seriously youll learn it in an hour, then you'll be able to say "I can learn songs." and the best part then is if your friend can play the same like 8 notes for 2 minutes you can play the whole song together.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!