If you've heard ska it has that distinct clean sound, I was wondering if theres like a default setting thats used in ska to get that ska sound. Thanks
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
anyone?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Lots of treble and a bit of reverb is sort of standard I think. Depends on the type of ska too, some is had more "bite" and some is more honky and flat(kind of reggae style)

I'm no expert though, but I like to play a little ska every now and then.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
What's your blend?
Like do you play chill 2nd wave ska, or ska core with heavy distortion, ect?

gimme some band
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
What's your blend?
Like do you play chill 2nd wave ska, or ska core with heavy distortion, ect?

gimme some band

Hey, I saw your bands cover of gone for a long time on youtube a few months ago, good job, The Johnstones are sick.
Reel Big Fish

Quote by midnight__toker
Hey, I saw your bands cover of gone for a long time on youtube a few months ago, good job, The Johnstones are sick.

thanks alot! we just posted some new videos, you should check those out too!

And the poster that said strat, no, there's no "ska guitar" they play everything, although hollowbodys are popular.

I usually give myself about a 7 on bass, about a 5 or 6 on treble, mids around 12 o'clock. I usually don't use reverb because I play skacore and we get pretty heavy and reverb causes feedback, and also keep in mind that I use a Solid state amp as well, so it's not as bassy. But you gotta have some nice cleans, you really just gotta get messing with it yourself

Aaron Barret uses a Marshall JCM 900 with some kind of boss pedals or DOD, he likes to use wah pedals as well, he's got tons of effects. He also likes Les Pauls and in the earlier days he used ibanez. Reel big fish uses some relativity high gain and he doesn't stick to standard ska, he puts alot of hair metal licks into it, so maybe look for a hair metal sounding distortion
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Last edited by l3p4rd at Aug 5, 2008,
Well I have an SG standard and a Mesa Boogie Roadster.

Well you have some good stuff, mesa's do ska pretty well, just get some nice balenced cleans, you don't want too much bass because of when you do full barre ska chords and you dont want too much treble because it'll pierce your ears.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
theres no rule book really. you need to consider that ska bands when ska first came out were very poor and didnt have the best equipment. dial in a clean tone with some reverb. the rest was all musicianship and cheap gear.