Ok I have a Peavey Windsor, recently called "the mg of tubes," and i will hurt that person if I ever meet them. Anyway I understand its not a great amp but I had a MG of MG's last so leave me alone, I'm not going from MG30DFX to 1,000 mesa or some ****. Anyway, I don't hate the tone, but I have one major complaint; bar chords sound very thin and tinny when I strum all the strings. Everything sounds great on the top 3 strings but for some reason the last couple sound awful, not just tonally, it almost sounds out of tune. Like I mean bad, you'd think I wasn't barring the chord properly or something but I am. Is this possibly intonation of my guitar? Or the fact that my guitar is a $140 starter ibanez with ****ty pickups? I know the amp has a sub-standard tone, but this is worse than just sub-standard. Bar chords on my acoustic sound good no matter what strings I strum. Basically I want you to say its the guitar, cuz that I'm replacing. So go ahead, reassure me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Hey don't belittle your amp and call it substandard. From what i hear the windsor is not sub standard at all for mid-high gain tones. And are you sure your guitar is in tune, and intonated correctly? And yeah the stock pickups on most ibanez's aren't too great.
*confused* im assuming your joking in your sig about what gear you have then? its probly the guitar btw, or it might just be the way your fingers fit onto the fret board of that guitar. can you make a recording of it? if so, play a couple of barr chords and then player every string fretted at the same fret, and someone on here can tell u wats going on.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by tubetime86
Ok I have a Peavey Windsor, recently called "the mg of tubes," and i will hurt that person if I ever meet them. Anyway I understand its not a great amp but I had a MG of MG's last so leave me alone, I'm not going from MG30DFX to 1,000 mesa or some ****. Anyway, I don't hate the tone, but I have one major complaint; bar chords sound very thin and tinny when I strum all the strings. Everything sounds great on the top 3 strings but for some reason the last couple sound awful, not just tonally, it almost sounds out of tune. Like I mean bad, you'd think I wasn't barring the chord properly or something but I am. Is this possibly intonation of my guitar? Or the fact that my guitar is a $140 starter ibanez with ****ty pickups? I know the amp has a sub-standard tone, but this is worse than just sub-standard. Bar chords on my acoustic sound good no matter what strings I strum. Basically I want you to say its the guitar, cuz that I'm replacing. So go ahead, reassure me.

First of all, your post conflicts with your sig; second, it is either your guitar or your skill that is the problem. (I'm guessing its your guitar though.)
Last edited by G-man05 at Aug 5, 2008,
Quote by G-man05
First of all, your post conflicts with your sig; second, it is your guitar. (Ibanez pickups suck)

yea, hence, me planning on replacing the pups on my jet king
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Your main issue sounds like the guitar, I can put my guitar threw pretty much anything and its sounds full and fat as well because thats what it was built for. Cheap starter guitars have a bad setup from the factory and there not intonated or intonated poorly. Plus cheap wood and cheap pickups dont help matters. But the good news is your in tube amp country now so new pickups will benefit your tone but honestly i would just purchase a new guitar with better pickups and wood to attribute to an overall tonal change.

But for now if you have the skills intonate it and put on some thicker strings. If you have an eq or od pedal drop those in the chain as well and boost the level up a bit.
Sweet no windsor bashing so far. (its not that i dont like it, its just SOOOO limited in tone.) But ya I had a feeling its the guitar cuz it jsut sounds wierd. Yes it is in tune, I dont know if its been intonated but I got it at a guitar center so i assume so and the standard open 12th test seems pretty good. Do lower quality pickups have more trouble with the higher notes? Also I'm getting a MIM strat after a few more paychecks so if its the guitar no worries. Im just considering throwing the amp out the window in the meantime. Also Im getting an EQ when I get paid friday so I hope to dial some of it out with that. but it is god awful. Ill record some tonight when I'm home.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
man you got a lot of threads going on this topic....i just responded to one of them he he.

I thought you said you had a cheap Ibanez and were wanting to get a MIM Strat.

so ya, i'm a bit confused too but good luck anyway on your quest.

Ya ill admit I'm totally new to forums, and in alot of ways to guitar (even though I've been playin like 8 years). Sorry about multiple threads but I was asking slightly different questions and my threads always get hijacked.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Could be ghosting on your high notes, it will result in dischordant overtones on notes that could make your chords sound out of tune.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 5, 2008,
The "MG of tubes" comment was directed at the Valveking, not the Windsor. Off topic, but I think you should should concentrate on learning the guitar before worrying about tone, seen as you've been playing for 8 years.
Quote by tubetime86
Ok I have a Peavey Windsor, recently called "the mg of tubes," and i will hurt that person if I ever meet them.

i'm glad my quote made that big of an impact on you

EDIT: btw dude i was just in a trolling mood. dont take it seriously i felt like posting something stupid
Yah it happens. Just remember though if I see you in person (and by some magic know its you) I'll "just be in a killing mood" namely you.

And to the EQ question from Ibanezpsycho Ive tried everything. Mostly pulling out treble nothing seems to take that noise out, just makes it more or less harsh. Am I describing treble or mids... I don't think I know as much about EQ as I should.

And to "learn to play not tone." Ive been playing 8 years, name a normal non-shred song and I can learn it in 20 minutes. I think I have a right to think about tone. Jackass.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Like I said in one of your other threads, plug an EQ in your loop. The "good" thing about the Windsor is that you can change the types of power amp tubes. So maybe swap the power EL's out to 6L6 or KT's if the eq doesn't fit the bill.
Does anyone know if I have a bias knob in there or if I need to take it to a tech and spend half of what I paid for the damn thing to do that?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Yah it happens. Just remember though if I see you in person (and by some magic know its you) I'll "just be in a killing mood" namely you.

I would like to sig that if you don't mind.
Dude to find out if its just ur intonation.................... unplug the guitar.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by third-eye
The "MG of tubes" comment was directed at the Valveking, not the Windsor. Off topic, but I think you should should concentrate on learning the guitar before worrying about tone, seen as you've been playing for 8 years.

It was actually made towards the Windsor.
Quote by PendulousThread
Dude to find out if its just ur intonation.................... unplug the guitar.

Genius. (Or maybe I'm retarded lol). Anyway I did this, its hard to tell unamplified but I believe it sounds like shizz unplugged too. If it makes any sense bar chords sound like 'bwang' instead of 'bring.' Intonation? Or just ****ty guitar?

Also I didn't get sound clips cuz my computer is being an arse.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Do you have a chromatic tuner? Check each note on the fretboard to see how close it is to the actual note.

Also do you know how to check intonation, by doing the 12th fret harmonic it should match up with that open string's note.
Ya I've done that... just by ear, its definitely not way off. Im wondering if that guitar just sounds ****ty... Ive always thought it was wayyyyyy better at overdriven powerchords than the high stuff. Its an Ibanez GSA-60 btw.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
really? not a gibson les paul? or an MIA strat? or a gibson explorer? your sig begs to differe
Again, amps can have ghosting issues (inharmonic overtones, especially on high notes)