ok i was wondering, i keep playing alot and every now and again i come up with an awesome riff, then i went and refined it into something a little better. then i left it alone for a while and went to listen to music to get some inspiration and i realized that i had made the riff from one of the songs i like, or more like a passage play i really dont know what you would call it. but for example i was listening to BFMV "all these things i hate" and during the heavy passages there was a a thing that sounded something like
----7 7h8p7-----7 7h8p7
0 0------------0 0 ----------
well thats what i came up with and it sounds like part of the heavy passage of the song. and it got me wondering is ther anything wrong with using riffs from othersongs or not. and this may sound stupid but is there anything legally with doing it or is it just when you copy a song. i ask the legal one cause i remeber the whole under preassure/ ice ice baby incedent and wondered if that aplied here.

thanks to anyone who helps me out
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Iam sure every riff has been redone already

like in hip hop every damn beat has already been remixed and reused
You can get in 'the shxte' for plagerism, yeah. You don't have to copy a whole song.

A riff, a melody, a lyric. Basically anything that obviously resembles another song.

Being influenced is okay, and basing your riffs off of others, but not directly copying them.

It's all to do with copyrights and stuff.

Edit - To the Cruc' guy above me.

Stop being stereotypical about hiphop. Ofcourse not every beat has been used. The new shxte all sounds the same, but that's because they suck and they don't mean anything. Go and listen to some Tupac Shakur. He changed my mind about hiphop, some of his lyrics are just amazing.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Aug 5, 2008,
i dont know i do the same thing all the time
u think u got somthin great and some says thats a song already and ur like
mother **** tity ****
Influenced = Good

Copied = bad
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by Carl6661
You can get in 'the ****' for plagerism, yeah. You don't have to copy a whole song.

A riff, a melody, a lyric. Basically anything that obviously resembles another song.

Being influenced is okay, and basing your riffs off of others, but not directly copying them.

It's all to do with copyrights and stuff.

thats what i thought, i wasnt 100% on my legalities of music so thats why i asked, but i dont know how one cna differinciate between coping and being influenced by, its really confusing
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
it pretty much happens all the time. the new kid rock song is pretty much a cover of sweet home alabama. do you think the chord progression used in knocking on heavens door is unique? every song has been copied. puddle of mudd she hates me is basically the same as an old suicidal tendencies song, papa roach last resort and iron maiden hallowed be thy name pretty much have the same riff. vanilla ice stole a queen riff. it's not uncommon. i just change riffs if they sound similar to something else based on personal morals. i don't think it's something you can really get in trouble for though. after all there are only 12 notes
Or throw in a riff into your own songs as an homage to the artist, Buckethead has done this a couple times, always works out nicely.
Quote by sowhat360
it pretty much happens all the time. the new kid rock song is pretty much a cover of sweet home alabama. do you think the chord progression used in knocking on heavens door is unique? every song has been copied. puddle of mudd she hates me is basically the same as an old suicidal tendencies song, papa roach last resort and iron maiden hallowed be thy name pretty much have the same riff. vanilla ice stole a queen riff. it's not uncommon. i just change riffs if they sound similar to something else based on personal morals. i don't think it's something you can really get in trouble for though. after all there are only 12 notes

yah but i think you have to pay royalties for covers, dont know how it exactly works but i htink you have to pay for the rights ot it, and in your song info you have to credit it to the artist for each part you used if im not mistaken

Quote by 6cradle6of6filt
if someone copied the intro riff of stairway it would=extremely stupid

DON'T copie:p

listne to the intro of The Prentender, not exactly the same but you can here the very close similarities in it, maybe thats just me cause i know tha grohl is the self proclaimed #1 zep fan though
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
I do listen to hiphop and I actually have all of 2pacs albums up until better dayz... I actually going to put up a pair of tech 1210mg's up on ebay tomorrow. dead hobby.

What I ment was a lot of songs have the same basic kick/snares, shi you tap out everyday with your hands etc.

Yes the new stuff sucks.
Quote by cruc1a7
I do listen to hiphop and I actually have all of 2pacs albums up until better dayz... I actually going to put up a pair of tech 1210mg's up on ebay tomorrow. dead hobby.

What I ment was a lot of songs have the same basic kick/snares, shi you tap out everyday with your hands etc.

Yes the new stuff sucks.

well that rhianna song where she had the remixed beat from the soft cell song "tainted love" (maybe it was the manson one but who knows) and it was imo better than the song the beat was from original
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
--------0-----------------------------------
---------------7-7h8p7----7--5----------
---------------------------------------------

is cooler any way and its not the same so u wont get sued!
Quote by cruc1a7

Yes the new stuff sucks.

Ahh, that's cool. Sorry man, I thought you were just slating all hiphop.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.