So I have a big amp. And I love practicing with feedback and all sorts of stuff, plus that huge sustain you get when you up the volume. But unfortunately, my mother just "can't deal with the noise" that my amp makes (but loves to brag about how good I am after a Jazz band solo... W/e, back to the point) so I was thinking about maybe getting a THD hot plate. Will this still give me the feedback and overdriven tube tone of my amp at a low enough volume for home practice? If I can't practice with feedback then the thing really doesn't mean much to me, I'll just play when my mom leaves.

Is there any other products like this though? Namely something cheaper? There's only two on GC, and the THD is about $330 I think, while the other one is over $500
I was wondering the same thing. Before I drop 300 dollars on it I have to know if the volume is going to drop significantly. I can't even play my 15w frontman on 2 without my mom getting pissed much less my VH100.
Sig What?
i wanna know the same. i wanna quiet my 6505 down w/o it sounding thin and buzzy. im skeptical about weber masses as my amp is 120 and the highest weber is 150...and he suggests getting 1.5x wattage so you dont blow a power xformer. also...the thd has noise reduction which is a big bonus for the thd so i dont have to buy a decimator.
you can change the volume, from totally off basically to full out wiht it. I'm getting one my self it is what you need trust me.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
I have a THD Hot Plate that I've used with several different amps with varying degrees of performance. ANY ATTENUATION will take away some of the edge, response, & life from your tone, but will make it smoother sounding with lots of sustain. The more attenuation (lower volume), the more pronounced this effect is. I wouldn't recommend attenuating regularly to bedroom levels, simply because of the un-necessary wear on your tubes. If you guys are able to, take your amp head down to the store to try one out first, because #1-you may not like the tone, & #2- different amps respond to attenuation differently.
BTW-A Hot Plate is a great tool to have around anyway, because it has many adjustments for tone, & you can use it as a load box in place of a speaker, & run the Hot Plate's line out feature to a second power amp (way cool), running your original head cranked, but driving no speakers. The power amp drives the cabs.

Also, many people on UG will recommend Weber attenuators (although 95% of them have never tried one). I've never used a Weber, so I can't comment on those.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I have a THD Hot Plate that I've used with several different amps with varying degrees of performance. ANY ATTENUATION will take away some of the edge, response, & life from your tone, but will make it smoother sounding with lots of sustain. The more attenuation (lower volume), the more pronounced this effect is. I wouldn't recommend attenuating regularly to bedroom levels, simply because of the un-necessary wear on your tubes. If you guys are able to, take your amp head down to the store to try one out first, because #1-you may not like the tone, & #2- different amps respond to attenuation differently.
BTW-A Hot Plate is a great tool to have around anyway, because it has many adjustments for tone, & you can use it as a load box in place of a speaker, & run the Hot Plate's line out feature to a second power amp (way cool), running your original head cranked, but driving no speakers. The power amp drives the cabs.

Also, many people on UG will recommend Weber attenuators (although 95% of them have never tried one). I've never used a Weber, so I can't comment on those.

Thanks! That really helps. I don't mind as much the effect on my tone, but I really do want to be able to practice controlling feedback. Will I be able to do that at bedroom levels with the hot plate? I'll never use it for a concert, but at concerts I'm loud enough if I hold a note out long enough the guitar will probably feedback, which is something I may want or not want, and it's hard (actually impossible) to practice that with the volume so low.
Quote by edusty2010
Thanks! That really helps. I don't mind as much the effect on my tone, but I really do want to be able to practice controlling feedback. Will I be able to do that at bedroom levels with the hot plate? I'll never use it for a concert, but at concerts I'm loud enough if I hold a note out long enough the guitar will probably feedback, which is something I may want or not want, and it's hard (actually impossible) to practice that with the volume so low.

The feedback thing should be easy with a Bugera from what I've heard about them. I've not tried a Bugera yet, but a cranked high-gain amp should get whatever feedback you want, attenuated or not. You could try standing closer to your amp & facing it, so the speakers interact with your pickup as well. With the power stage cranked using an attenuator, you'll have access to more feedback than you'd ever need!

31ZOSOVHJH-
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by riffhog

You've never tried the Ultimate Attenuator. Its an amazing invention.
Quote by al112987
You've never tried the Ultimate Attenuator. Its an amazing invention.

I don't need one. I'd like to try one, but I've got a Hot Plate & a Palmer PDI03. I use the re-amping rig mostly, & the load boxes don't connect to my cabs. If more people actually tried the re-amping rigs, we'd have a lot more people that are happy having cranked output tube tone at any volume, with zero tone loss. Attenuators of any kind really are not the answer, if you're connecting speakers to them.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
The feedback thing should be easy with a Bugera from what I've heard about them. I've not tried a Bugera yet, but a cranked high-gain amp should get whatever feedback you want, attenuated or not. You could try standing closer to your amp & facing it, so the speakers interact with your pickup as well. With the power stage cranked using an attenuator, you'll have access to more feedback than you'd ever need!

31ZOSOVHJH-

Ok... But I can't crank it in my bedroom, I'll get told to turn it off. So if I got the hotplate will I be able to crank the amp and roll the THD down, and still get the feedback? Or does that only work when you're playing loud? Sorry, I haven't really gotten to in depth to figure feedback out.
riffhog: you say different amps respond to attenuators differently, how do you mean?

If you want to get rid of the fizz you get a low volumes because of lack of powertube break up, is it possible that it could still sound fizzy with an attenuator? Is that what you meant by that? I want to get that non-fizzy sound that i can only get by cranking, but i will be reluctant if the fizz might still be there... or did you just mean that tonally some amps dont take to attenuators too well??
Paul Gilbert uses one to tame his Marshall JVM combo, and he's not one to take so-so for an answer when it concerns tone. Plus I believe the guys in Brand New used to use those on their amps.

From what I hear, they're quite amazing and get the job done with very little "tone suck."

And btw riffhog, I'm actually interested in one for my Mesa; I play with it at 1 by myself, and it gets quite loud after 1 (2 it's basically the same as 10 on a 35 watt Mesa DC-3, which gets really loud), but on 2 and above it sounds AMAZING; Would the Hotplate allow me to get that amazing sound while keeping it the volume the same, if not slightly lower?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Paul Gilbert uses one to tame his Marshall JVM combo, and he's not one to take so-so for an answer when it concerns tone. Plus I believe the guys in Brand New used to use those on their amps.

From what I hear, they're quite amazing and get the job done with very little "tone suck."

And btw riffhog, I'm actually interested in one for my Mesa; I play with it at 1 by myself, and it gets quite loud after 1 (2 it's basically the same as 10 on a 35 watt Mesa DC-3, which gets really loud), but on 2 and above it sounds AMAZING; Would the Hotplate allow me to get that amazing sound while keeping it the volume the same, if not slightly lower?

then why is he playing a JVM

i wasnt a huge fan when i tried one
like someone just said above a lot of people here recommend a weber...

And yes i'm recommending a weber... but I do actually own one and I love it. But the webers use something called a reactive speaker load, which is suppose to help with tone loss... But at the same time I have never used a THD hotplate.

But the weber stuff is solid and has never failed me. I can definately here a difference with my amp cranked and get more of that tube driven sound. But I also notice a lot of tone loss when its heavily attenuated but thats going to happen regardless.

But from what you said it definately sounds like what you need. I don't know about feedback though. When I think bedroom level, I think someone outside my room down the hall should not be able to hear it, and at those volume feedback can be hard no matter what. Just depends on how much you cut the volume I guess...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Diamond Dave

I was waiting for someone to say that!

A lot of people are endorsing it recently; John 5, Dave Mustaine, Bjorn Gellotte (In Flames), Paul Gilbert (duh), Brent Hinds, Doug Aldrich, the guy from Umphrey's McGee (i believe), and a lot of others. It doesn't sound THAT bad; it's quite a lot better than the MG.
Quote by Diamond Dave

i wasnt a huge fan when i tried one

+1
Quote by riffhog
I don't need one. I'd like to try one, but I've got a Hot Plate & a Palmer PDI03. I use the re-amping rig mostly, & the load boxes don't connect to my cabs. If more people actually tried the re-amping rigs, we'd have a lot more people that are happy having cranked output tube tone at any volume, with zero tone loss. Attenuators of any kind really are not the answer, if you're connecting speakers to them.

How's the HotPlate compare with the PDI-03? I know the Palmer is what the pros use live, but are they comparable? Can you get the same "direct out" mic'd quality as the Palmer?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
I was waiting for someone to say that!

A lot of people are endorsing it recently; John 5, Dave Mustaine, Bjorn Gellotte (In Flames), Paul Gilbert (duh), Brent Hinds, Doug Aldrich, the guy from Umphrey's McGee (i believe), and a lot of others. It doesn't sound THAT bad; it's quite a lot better than the MG.

yeah but if i had my pick of amps i wouldnt get it, with all the money in the world i'd still rather a tiny terror to a jvm. but tone is subjective...
Lots of issues here!
To the TS's point: IMO, you SHOULD be able to get the type of feedback you're mentioning using heavy attenuation, but the edginess of your tone will suffer. The THD can roll down to zero volume on the -16db setting, but it's really rounded off, but WILL feed back if prompted WITH MY RIG. You need to test a THD before you get one.

slash's#1-Both the THD & Palmer tame a lot of fizz, & add depth (but remember, the Palmer is NOT an attenuator, but a load box/direct out/line out unit. It has a bypass for a speaker, but it's live-full volume-so you can use stage speakers & the board.
Some of that fizz is the liveliness of the amp & touch-sensitivity, which you will lose to some degree or another with ANY attenuation.
The attenuation doesn't seem to affect my 50W non-master volume Mojave as much as my SLO. The SLO loses a lot of edge through attenuation, but smooths out nicely. That amp is almost TOO edgy.

BeerChurch- I still haven't played around w/ the Palmer enough to get the most out of it yet, to be honest. The Palmer has a balanced XLR output & headphone use capability though. Both the Palmer & THD have great fine adjustments for adapting to different cabs & venues. The Palmer is pretty amazing, though the line out seems a bit different than the THD, signal-wise, but again, I need more time with the Palmer. I spend too much time practicing instead of playing with signal routing. Just not enough time in a day!

RG FANMAN- I've not tried an attenuator on a Mesa, but my gut tells me it would respond more like the SLO than the Mojave, probably smoothing the tone nicely, but tapering the edginess. TRY ONE FIRST. I can't emphasize this enough.

Diamond Dave- Tiny Terror>JVM

EDIT: All this being said, & as I stated in other threads, re-amping is the way to go. I would love to have someone here try it just to hear a second opinion. There's a reason most artists never record with attenuators.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by riffhog at Aug 6, 2008,
riffhog-

Thanks for the feedback dude! Volume to me is not an issue. I just want to do away with mics and stage rummble. I may just kick the extra money and get a Plamer. I haven't heard anyone using the HotPlate in a live application and I know the PDI-03 works wonders for this.

Again Thanks!