Ever since I started guitar people in my family INSIST to play guitar i HAVE to sing and I don't want to. They seem to have this fantasy im gonna be like johnny cash and stuff like that for them ( im a metalhead) and it really gets annoying. They say singing keeps the rhythm when your playing and I say yeah backing tracks do the same thing. I just don't know what to tell them to say I don't want to sing and have them really believe it
If they don't believe you that's their problem. If you want to sing you sing, if you don't you don't.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Well, alot of the best guitarists out there don't sing much. In most bands, if a guitarists sings, it's probably the rythm guitarist and not lead. There are execptions tought, like Alexi Laiho. Also, singing and playing at the same time is ****ing hard! I tried it once, with very simple songs to, and it didn't help me keep the beat, It made me lose it. Singing and playing doesn't help, it makes things harder.
Gear :
Epiphone G400
Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
Peavey Vypyr 30.

Please excuse my lack of proper spelling and grammar, english isn't my first language.
tell em to **** off, thats what i do
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Just keep practising if you want to make them shut up by actually doing it really well!

I find AC/DC tunes are great for it as the guitar rhythms are quite easy to play and the vocals give you a bit of a challenge on the side. Jailbreak, TNT, Highway to Hell and Whole Lotta Rosie are alright to play and sing to.
yeah i agree. It is f*cking hard. Like some guys like Hendrix are pulling solos and f*cking singing at the same time! I mean Hewndrix is okay, but wats also as hard is Bass. Like fat mike, that dude's f*cking amazing.
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
Quote by operation ktulu
tell em to **** off, thats what i do

What he said. What does your family know about music, you're the guitarist.
Keep a gun on your lap while you play.
Current Gear:

PRS Custom 24 (Whale Blue)
Jackson KVX10 (With SD Blackouts)
Line 6 POD XT Live
I have the same problem.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
They seem pretty oblivious and thoughtless as to how you feel at all. Show them this thread and what others have said about your concerns...
I want to learn to sing

Anyways, just sing awfully and in the wrong key, and play your guitar out of tune, and see what they say then.

If all else fails, give them a kick in the swingers; PROBLEM SOLVED!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I always sing while i play

it's terrible singing, but whatever. Just start screaming and play metal, they'll never want you to sing anymore
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
My parents dont do that but my mom is always like when are you going to play a whole song or some crap but she dont get that im just practicing or something and shes like yeah you dont play you just mess around.Im like what??!?!!?!? Im the one playing if you dont like it dont listen.Pisses me off.
Budget for new equipment:34 $
Total cost:1000

Devoted follower of Zeppelinism
Quote by SRV_disciple
My parents dont do that but my mom is always like when are you going to play a whole song or some crap but she dont get that im just practicing or something and shes like yeah you dont play you just mess around.Im like what??!?!!?!? Im the one playing if you dont like it dont listen.Pisses me off.

Tell her to pick up a god damned guitar and give it a go. It isn't simple, by any means. I vote you start screaming and stuff if you play metal.

I apologize for taking the Lord's name in vain.

EDIT: TS, how long you been playing? You could just join a band or get a singer, as hard as that is... I can see them saying these things if they're musically talented, but if not, tell them off, because singing and playing is a challenge... to do it well, at least.
If you ever want to write songs, then you need to learn to, but otherwise you don't have to. I ****ing suck at singing and playing at the same time.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Vasser
If you ever want to write songs, then you need to learn to, but otherwise you don't have to. I ****ing suck at singing and playing at the same time.

You need to be able to sing to be able to write songs?
There was a hole here.
It's gone now.
Show them the picture of the man in black giving the finger and say "He didn't care what people thought so **** off!" Damn, is there anything Johnny Cash couldn't do?
Singing for Rhythm? Hardly. Drums and sometimes the bass are what you keep your rhythm with, plus your own natural sense of timing. If you're counting on the vocals (whether they're your own or someone else's) to help you keep time then you're going to be screwed.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrMicrowave
You need to be able to sing to be able to write songs?

No, I meant you need to be able to sing and play at the same time to write songs.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by String-Dancer
Ever since I started guitar people in my family INSIST to play guitar i HAVE to sing and I don't want to. They seem to have this fantasy im gonna be like johnny cash and stuff like that for them ( im a metalhead) and it really gets annoying. They say singing keeps the rhythm when your playing and I say yeah backing tracks do the same thing. I just don't know what to tell them to say I don't want to sing and have them really believe it

Me too, but I'm not really a metalhead. Me, it's always "Learn songs that we know", but they don't know the words to any songs so want me to sing. Unfortunately, that'll never happen.
Quote by JusticeJanitor
Also, singing and playing at the same time is ****ing hard! I tried it once, with very simple songs to, and it didn't help me keep the beat, It made me lose it. Singing and playing doesn't help, it makes things harder.

However, it is good practice. Also, John Frusciante of RHCP sings about as much as Anthony Kiedis. Dude is phenomenal. In my band, we dont have a singer. I play guitar and sing. It was hard at first, but then once I practiced it, it got easier. Made playing guitar easier too. It's just great practice especially if you do have a singing voice.

As I said before, I never repeat myself.