Ok UG, I have two young guitarists who are ready to upgrade from their starter amps.
One plays mostly classic rock and punk (AC/DC, GreenDay), and the other plays mostly metal (Slipknot, Gn'R).
I've found that these are the most recommended amps here:
*Vox Valvetronix
*Orange Crush
*Roland Cube
As the 30 watt versions of these amps are all similarly priced, I ask, which does UG recommend?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92
Ok UG, I have two young guitarists who are ready to upgrade from their starter amps.
One plays mostly classic rock and punk (AC/DC, GreenDay), and the other plays mostly metal (Slipknot, Gn'R).
*Vox Valvetronix
*Orange Crush
*Roland Cube
As the 30 watt versions of these amps are all similarly priced, I ask, which does UG recommend?

the classic rock and punk one should get a valvetronix and the other one a cube
i haven't heard very good things on the crush
but yeah the vox and cube will fit great for those styles
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
what about some Flextone IIs?

these can be purchased used for around $200-250

great versatility

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
I like my cube 30. It emulates the models for classic rock amps better than metal IMO. I have no experience with those other 2 amps
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Quote by jcp42877
what about some Flextone IIs?

these can be purchased used for around $200-250

great versatility

um how about EWW
horrible amp
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I have the vox and I love it and would reccomend it. You definatly get a sweet classic rock tone out of it. As for Metal I think its alright but not 100% on the tone. Rolands I heard are meant to be better the Metal. But... Vox all the way
Quote by acdclandon
the classic rock and punk one should get a valvetronix and the other one a cube
i haven't heard very good things on the crush
but yeah the vox and cube will fit great for those styles

This, though let it be known flextones are not horrible amps....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I personally would give the kid who likes classic rock and punk a Vox Valvetronix, and the metal player either the Roland Cube OR a Vox Valvetronix XL (Which, if you don't know, is a high gain version of the Valvetronix).
Quote by AdamDK
I personally would give the kid who likes classic rock and punk a Vox Valvetronix, and the metal player either the Roland Cube OR a Vox Valvetronix XL (Which, if you don't know, is a high gain version of the Valvetronix).

Forgot about the XL. Go for the XL, seems pretty good for metal.
Quote by JMcG92
*Vox Valvetronix
*Orange Crush
*Roland Cube

Vox for the classic rock/punk one.

cube with metal.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by |Matt Dolan|
Vox for the classic rock/punk one.

cube with metal.

This seems to be the general opinion.

Anyone own a VT-XL? I've heard that they're quite a let down compared to the regular VTs...

¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92
This seems to be the general opinion.

Anyone own a VT-XL? I've heard that they're quite a let down compared to the regular VTs...

Hmm, I've also heard they're quite **** compared to the regular vts..
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Quote by AdamDK
Go to the Vox website, I believe they have sound clips of them.

Hmm..
Sounds like the VT + VTXL are the way to go! For €160 you can't go wrong can you?

Not with those you can't, no. And the reliability of them is awesome. I've owned my Vox for a year and a half, and it has never had reliability problems.
Quote by JMcG92
Hmm..
Sounds like the VT + VTXL are the way to go! For €160 you can't go wrong can you?

I'd take the Cube over that VTXL to be honest, i've heard the tone being described as very thin in comparison to the cube.
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by AdamDK
Not with those you can't, no. And the reliability of them is awesome. I've owned my Vox for a year and a half, and it has never had reliability problems.

What about this input jack issue I keep hearing about?

What issue? I've never heard of it, nor have I had problems with my input jack.
Don't get the Valvetronix XL. They sound horrid in comparison to the regular Valvetronices.

I'd recommend the Cube over the XL.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I tried them all (except the Orange Crush) and the Valvetronix (non XL) sounded the best from clean to crunch to high-gain imo.