Ok, if you see down in my sig, i've got an old Silvertone Model 1333 amp from 1957. (you can watch my demo of it if you'd like ) Its a pretty cool little amp, especially once you start running a Boss ME-50 through it. However, its freaking temperamental. the sweet spot moves around, sometimes it breaks up at low volumes, sometimes its crystal clear even on higher gains, and sometimes it buzzes like no tomorrow and other times (as in now) its silent.

here's my question, is that just to be expected with a 50 year old amp? i mean, it's a lower end silvertone from 1957 so it wasnt built that well to begin with. or is there something i can do to make it more consistent?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
thats just the nature of tube amps. they are less consistent than solid state and behave variably at times. being very old doesn't help either.
Quote by al112987
thats just the nature of tube amps. they are less consistent than solid state and behave variably at times. being very old doesn't help either.

yea...but if i bought a modern tube amp (i probly will later this year) will i have problems that are this extreme? for example, if i bought a blackheart little giant, will i have to constantly re-find the "sweet spot"?
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Did you replace the preamp tubes when you got it?

i replaced all of the tubes when i got it, shot or not
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
There's a few other things that could be dying, such as filter caps. I don't know if dying filter caps would cause your problem or not tnough.
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
There's a few other things that could be dying, such as filter caps. I don't know if dying filter caps would cause your problem or not tnough.

yea, ive thot about that, too. its tempting to go through and try to replace all of the vintage parts with modern parts, but that then kills the whole idea of owning a vintage amp
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Unless you find a lot of NOS parts.

lol and sell my arms and legs
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The only NOS part worth getting imo are preamp tubes. NOS Mullards are great and will more or less last forever.

but if the parts cost more than the amp, its probably not worth it lol.
lol yea and i paid $50 for the amp and its in awesome condition. probly better just to use it for fun now, get a modern amp in several months, and then just hold onto the silvertone.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional