Hey all, i was think about putting an emg 81 in the bridge and an emg 85 in the neck on my les paul and i was just wondering do they do good clean aswel as distorted?

plus, could you also recommend me some other good emg neck/bridge pickups. could you state wether its better in the neck or bridge when you suggest a pickup

thankyou, Aidan.
i hear 60s are better than 85s in the neck, but 85 is good enough for me
what music do you play
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
I like my 85 when I'm doing lead type **** with a lot of gain because you can get a really nice, smooth, and buttery tone.

But if you want better cleans, the 60's are better than the 85's.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

First things first, questions asked to everyone: What's your amp, how much did your guitar cost.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Vanquish
...if you want better cleans, the 60's are better than the 85's.
I'm thinking the 60A may be worth a shot. Its supposed to be similar to a 60, save for having an Alnico magent for added "warmth".
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by asfastasdark
First things first, questions asked to everyone: What's your amp, how much did your guitar cost.

Vox AD50, guitar was $600.....

if u want good cleans, do the 18v mod. the cleans still wont be as good as passives, tho.....

and maybe consider an all tube amp rather than a hybrid, cause emg's are actually designed to drive tube amps
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
if u want good cleans, do the 18v mod...
Word. 18v mod is mandatory

Quote by AngusJimiKeith
...and maybe consider an all tube amp rather than a hybrid, cause emg's are actually designed to drive tube amps
Its funny you mention this at the same time as the 18v mod. I've actually found every amp I've played since doing said mod to be less prone to overdrive.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
^i know, but emg's are spcifically designed to be used with tube amps...however, they sound alot better with ss and hybrid when 18v is done than they would otherwise. then again, i am one of those nutty gotta-have-all-tube guys, so.....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Bridge: 85 or 81

Neck: 60

With the 18V mod, they will overdrive the preamp section of a tube amp easier, but the signal won't distort with the additional headroom.. so you get the tonal characteristics/responsiveness of an overdriven preamp, without the common fuzzing.

I hope that made sense.
^it did. and what he said.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking